G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Newguy here:) Have a question!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newguy here:) Have a question!

Thinking of getting slightly used G35 and twin turbo it anyone here has that setup and can give me a review? I dont know wether to go Greddy TT or some other Company, I think of rebuilding the engine too, Other thing i dont know wether to go with 6M or Auto tranny ? What do you guys suggest, havnt driven one, will test drive on wednesday, one of my friends got one....!

Old 10-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Re: Newguy here:) Have a question!

These motors from the factory were not designed for FI. Many have installed superchargers and turbos and many have blown their motors. The stock compression is 10.5:1 which is a little too high for FI in my opinion. No matter how much the motor is tuned, boost has been known to wreak havoc on these motors. SOme of the guys now ar erebuilding their motors to support the FI so after they replace the stock internals with beefier parts, it should be good to go. I believe the only system that hasn't had it's share of problems (can't confirm if they have had none or not) is the Stillen. They sell a warranty for their supercharger, but do not know what kind of recoarse you get with it. All I can say is that I haven't "heard" of anyone having problems.
If you are thinking about rebuilding the motor as well, just do it from the get go. I would reduce the compression to about 8.5:1 and replace all the stock internals! If you search around on the forum, you'll get a better idea of what stock internals are the weak links! Just remember, that if you only replace those with stronger parts, you essentially create new weak links.

Old 10-05-2004, 01:59 PM

How about gearbox? should i go auto or 6spd? I'd choose auto coz it's gonna be my daily driver. any Cons or pros?

Old 10-05-2004, 02:07 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drew ( Diesel) pretty much summed it up, and all of the people that i know on this forum who have turbo or SC kits are rebuilding their engines because of blowing something in the engine or some kind of failure!I If you want some good info, go into the Forced Induction section or PM Gurgenpb, he has an auto sedan with the power enterpriise TT kit and he is rebuilding his engine with internals because of his blown rods/engine! I would say def. go with a 6spd, i wish i would have gotten one and i LOVE the 6spd tranny, the more i mod my car the more it makes me want a manual, but since you ha ve traffic as a dialy driver thats a tough decision! Test drive both, i sitll say get the manual, im still working out deals to hop in a 6spd coupe!! Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 10-05-2004, 02:13 PM
G SQUAD

My G is a daily driver, and I have an 6mt.. bad excuse! [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Don't go with the slushbox, go with the manual!! [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

John

'04 DG 6mt (Premium Pkg. / Navi)
Huper Optik (Ceramic 40) / Clearbra / Hardwired V1 / Phatbox / UT Roof Spoiler

Old 10-05-2004, 02:33 PM

I can't lie, I am extremely biased b/c I don't think they should even make the G in auto! I love driving stick, yes, sux in traffic, but it's not as bad once you get the the tricks down, leave more space before you move up, let it just roll in 1st w/o too much gas, etc. You will get more consistent times with the auto for the 1/4 mile though. I am unsure tranny is stronger. I know of someone with a TT Z, under 10K miles and the tranny is showing signs of fatigue! Unfortunately, I don't think there are any "race" parts available for the tranny's yet! I would probably look into which is cheaper to rebuild and talk to the guys in the Forced Induction forum. They should be able to guide you in the right direction.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:35 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

I can't lie, I am extremely biased b/c I don't think they should even make the G in auto!

<hr></blockquote>

Amen Diesel - 6MT or nothing- as I brace for the flaming

2004.5 Black on Black 6MT, Aero, Premium, Navi
"You can live in your car but you can't drive your house"

Trending Topics

Old 10-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Don't drink and Mag Race
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May you have 100,000 flames shooting from your syncros....

J/K

Vlad- If you want to go F/I, it seems that there are more solutions for the 6MT than the 5AT.

'04 G35X Graphite/graphite, NAV, wood, premium