G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

I paid for powder-coating and was painted !?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I paid for powder-coating and was painted !?

so .. as the title says .. I think I was royally effed over by a local shop of mine .. a few months back I dropped my rims off to be powder-coated glossy black with a painted red time attack stripe .. the LONG wait aside, things looked really good .. a few months later, I noticed what looked like swirl marks or tiny fine scratches on the lip and a rock chip or two on the black .. after a SECOND bad experience, I decided to call another local place to get a different price .. as soon as I mentioned the shop I went to he laughed and said that they DON'T powder-coat .. I told him that they sent my rims out and he said "yeah, around the corner to the painters" .. he said he's heard before of him charging for powder-coating and giving painted .. I'm SOO pissed off right now .. I paid $700 dollars to this clown (before I really knew I could expect to pay $400-550 or less depending on the shop) .. to top this ALL off .. I recently dropped ONE rim off to have him REPAIR and re-powder coat .. took him THREE EFFING WEEKS to get back my rim and it doesn't even look that amazing .. the painted red stripe is more towards the center of the lip than on the other three rims and it looks like it's not completely smooth all over AND when I had my tire place mount and balance the rim THERE'S STILL EFFING BENDS IN THE RIM like he did NOTHING .. I've had ENOUGH and I need to know if there's a way I can prove this clown painted and charged me for powder coating .. my bills and receipts from him ALL say powder coating and I'm going after him for my money if I can prove otherwise .. even on the inside where the lugs go is all scratched up but I heard powder coating was supposed to be stronger .. I heard powder coating wasn't supposed to chip or scratch .. and I doubt powder coating is going to have swirls and fine scratches just from wiping the rims down with a microfiber cloth and water .. I'm out of my mind pissed .. I should have known better to go back to him but who knows what was going through my mind .. when you have money and crooks are out there, you get played I guess .. any help would be great right about now ..

ALSO, if anyone in the North Jersey area wants the name of this shop, send me a PM and I'll give you all the details because I'm not about blasting publicly but this is some shady stuff

Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need to blast them publicly. A good reputation has to be earned and maintained. You should locate that business on Google Maps and write a review for them. It helps people like me avoid them. I always like to read reviews before I give my business to anyone.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
+1 .blast them publicaly.
they didnt do what they were supposed to .(powdercoat)
and took forever ..

Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
If you have a receipt that says, Powder Coat and you can prove they were painted go to small claims court and get your $$ back along with damages for having to wait for so damn long for the wrong work completed. Get a signed document from a powdercoating company that these wheels were painted not p/c....you'll win! That's a lot of $$ spent for getting screwed....
Gary

Old 08-23-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
wow im surprised you even brought him back another rim to work on...well i think you can fight it cause you said all the receipts said powder coat...cant you jsut show how the rim is?

Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 PM
^+3 Blast them publicly. And do what gary c said!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
yeah this whole mess is insane .. he's such a tool as well which makes me question my own sanity :-\ .. he's one of those guys that has a phone in each hand and picks and chooses which customer to give more attention to rather than taking EVERYONE seriously .. I guess I'm going to stop by the powder coater I called today and have him look things over .. maybe if I have a signed affidavit from him stating that the rims are painted and I show this show what I have he'll buckle and give me back my money or at LEAST half since work WAS done but there's no WAY I would have paid anywhere near this amount for a painted rim that I could have done in my own damn backyard .. .. I'm sick over this guy but now that I have my rim back from him and he can't hold stuff random I can attack now and figure out for sure if he did screw me .. what makes me really question the job is the center cap was PAINTED and there is a tiny little bump in the paint on the cap .. that same type of bump appears on one of the rims on the lip .. also, I'm going to take pictures in the day but I swear I saw what looked like orange peel (than again I don't know if PC can have orange peel) .. I'm still new to getting rims done, I used to just buy aftermarket but I liked the style of the 19's and I got taken by what looks to be a crook .. :thewave I'm on a roll this year !!

Old 08-23-2010, 09:37 PM
i had my wheels podercoated and ran them for years without swirl marks or chips. someone told me you can test the paint/powercoat with a penny. i believe the penny will scratch the paint but will not damage the powder coat. i think thats how it went but i'm not a hundred percent sure.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by illusionzrcer
i had my wheels podercoated and ran them for years without swirl marks or chips. someone told me you can test the paint/powercoat with a penny. i believe the penny will scratch the paint but will not damage the powder coat. i think thats how it went but i'm not a hundred percent sure.
that actually sounds interesting .. can anyone else confirm this or other methods ?? I might have to try this but my fear is that this ***** will screw me out of my money and not give me any back (even though I clearly asked for something and got something completely different)

Old 08-23-2010, 11:35 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
You need to get the answer from a professional and get something signed. At this point that's what's important so you can let the POS know you're not paying for something you didn't receive. Anyone with a can of spray paint can do rims.... and I'm good at it!
Gary

Old 08-23-2010, 11:55 PM
true true .. scary part is he's been in business for over 14 years so God only knows HOW MANY people he's done this to .. as soon as the other guy I called heard the name of the place he said that it was probably painted .. the first time I sent him my rims I waited a month for him to get them back .. it was always an excuse .. I thought it was a going to be a one time deal since I've dealt with him other times (tints, lights, etc) so when I brought it to him the most recent time for redo the rim I thought we were good .. THREE WEEKS .. he sent my rim to the guy to "PC" and when I called him he told me the guy went on vacation for the week and I'd have my rim back on Monday .. I asked him for the rim and he said it was already stripped and there was no point .. didn't get the rim back until THAT SATURDAY .. he sucks at customer service .. I'm just eager to see how he react if I bring him a paper stating this IS paint and that I paid for powder coating lol .. I hate people that have to screw you and can't just BE HONEST .. life is too short and I'm sure his karma is shot .. I'm even more anxious for this upcoming police exam than I EVER was just to scare him and let him know he can't do this to people

Old 08-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
+4. Go Yelp!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:08 AM
Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
The repair shop should be licensed by the DMV, file a complaint with them and they will investigate the shop.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Yup, put them on blast.

Sucks that it happened and you wasted money, but at least you'll be doing something by preventing others of not going to him.

Old 08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
BBB.COM. File a complaint there.

I see a lot of commercials on TV for angieslist.com.... not sure how many people use that. But its a rating website for businesses.. you do sh;tty work, people blast you on there and you dont get business.

Ive dealt with a$$holes at shops before... not fun when you pay for something and don't get what you paid for.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I paid for powder-coating and was painted !?