G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Instrument Cluster Replacement

Old 08-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instrument Cluster Replacement

I have a 2005 G35 Coupe AT and my speedometer just crapped out on me.
When I accelerate it goes up terribly slowly and reaches about 20 mph when I'm actually going about 50 or 60.
All the other gauges, A/C, radio, etc seem to work fine.

I browsed online a bit and I see that the speedometer is part of the instrument cluster itself and has to be replaced as a part.
The price range I got for the cluster assembly/ instrument gauge cluster was about 500~600 new.
I did see used instrument clusters on Ebay and various other places, but I'm not familar how Infiniti stores the mileage and if mileage on the odometer would complicate my issue.

More to the point:
Has anyone else experienced this or know anyone this happened to?
If so, how did you or they deal with it?
If I go the route of used, will I have to program the mileage and is it any easy matter?
Is there any way to repair the speedometer without dishing out 500+ dollars?

Thank you!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 AM
mine went out on me too....i order mine but the new cluster has 800 more miles than mine....i call the dealer to see if they can program the new cluster to match my mileage and they told no...so i guess ill just added 800 more miles on my car

Old 08-26-2010, 02:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you sure it is not the speed sensor when out?
my friend told me that he knew someone can program a digital odometer but i am not sure if it is illegal or not. however i think some locksmith who deals transponders might know somebody to do it.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Howdy, I wrote this in another forum regarding clusters and reprogramming. gives the insight of cluster reprogramming. Hope this helps:

Dealerships do not have the equipment to change mileage. In all cases, the new cluster is ordered from a facility that works with Infiniti/Nissan to program the mileage on the vehicles. They only work with dealerships, not to the general public. These clusters also cannot be purchase from the dealership without the vehicle present to record the mileage for the reporgram. However, It can depend on the dealership if they will order a cluster without a vehicle present. But this raises the risk of any mileage fraud.

Most dealerships keep away from reprogramming any cluster that they do not order themselves. This is highly based on liability issues and rather turn down a customer wanting a cluster they already have reprogrammed than to face court due to being a accessory to mileage fraud or whatever the case may be.

If you check online, there are companies that can do the reprogram and you send out the cluster and they send it back with the mileage requested, I've seen these sites and they all have liability waivers that you cannot go after the company if something goes not according to plan.

and BTW, in many newer vehicles; in the owner's manual, it notifys you that the ECU store information about your vehicle in case of an accident, I believe it stores speed, throttle position, brake position, if you had your seatbelt on or off, airbag deployment, engine speed, transmission gear, etc, etc, etc. The ecu uses the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to record the speed. If the ECU does keep mileage then it is well hidden secret to know because I don't even know if Infinti/Nissan do that.

The VSS gives the speed info to many things in the car, ABS, ECU, Speedo cluster, GPS, and who knows what else. We know for a fact the cluster will store the mileage, the ECU is an iffy, but if it did ( which I dont know ): how to transfer that mileage to the cluster is something I defitnantly don't know either.

G

Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 PM
Thank you all for replying.