G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

? about VDC

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 04:17 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: ? about VDC

99 Atlantic, That's the way I understand the system to be: When the VDC button is pressed for 12-14 seconds to turn the light off, then that actually over-rides the VDC button and necessitates restarting the engine to activate the switch again. (so that you can turn VDC off)..........IE: if there's no VDC-Off light on in the dash, then the system is still on.
In any case, once the VDC is turned off, it does not totally disable the system. since the system is made up of 4 different parts: VDC,TCS (traction control), LSD, and ABS. Hence when the VDC is disabled, you still have LSD and ABS, both of which can activate the SLIP indicator light inthe dash.
This info is in section 5 of our manuals pages 20 to 22 and is open to different enterpretations. Anyone concur- or have a different understanding of this? ......... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 04-17-2003, 07:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody figure out what the difference is between Brake LSD and TCS yet?

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 04-17-2003, 09:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First thing is that when you have Traction Control on your car, the car is also built with a 4 channel ABS system.

The system uses ABS sensors at each wheel to monitor the relative road speed of all road wheels. As soon as a driven wheel (one of the rears) starts to spin because of insufficient grip between the tyre and the road surface, the system automatically reduces the torque of the engine and at low speeds applies the brake to the spinning wheel.

An example of this might be, when you have the rear wheels on two different surfaces of different levels of friction eg. the LHR off road on the dirt and the RHR on the roadway. A full throttle launch is likely to induce wheelspin on the LHS whilst you get good traction on the RHS. The amount of torque is adjusted to reduce the wheelspin and get you going.

There is a button on the dash to turn the traction control system off at anytime you desire but its best just to let the system on and work silently on the occasions you need it.

Old 04-17-2003, 11:02 PM
O.F. Administrator

I see your point bro. One system seems to make the other redundent. Only thing I could say is that they are both there so that when the VDC is switched 'off', which at least partially eliminates TCS, then the brake LSD is still active to afford some skid control.
I've got the ESM's for the G's. There may be some answers in them. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2003, 03:19 AM

The Brake LSD would do nothing for skid control.. that's the Stability Control, which is off. Pesti can verify that, I'm sure. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] Not to mention, when I took my G35 to a Solo2 event last month, the back end did get a little loose accelerating out of some of those corners. I've felt the VDC do a skid recovery before, and it was completely absent that day.

I know how the Traction Control System works, and then there's the Brake LSD which is supposed to brake a spinning rear wheel to force power to the other wheel. My question is, how is that different from the TCS system braking the spinning wheel? What's the difference?

Old 04-18-2003, 02:08 PM
O.F. Administrator

Are you sure the brake LSD would do nothing for skid control?
I think it might do something if you're accellerating and overpowering the tires.......Also from what i've read in different mag reviews, when you think the stability control is off, it's not all the way off, despite what happened to Pesti.
The O/M explains that these systems are not fool proof or infallible and that they can be overpowered (to some extent) such as in a situation you are describing on the track.
There seems to be very few answers these days, and little forthcoming from Nissan. As I said b4, when I get some free time, I'll do some reading. BTW do you have the Sedan ESM?
[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-18-2003, 04:27 PM

Nope. No ESM yet.

Old 04-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think VDC is another name for TCS. Someone mentioned there was a copy right on the term "traction control system" by some American car company. So nissan came up with their own name for the system "VDC".

And when you hold the VDC button down for 10 seconds and the light stays on, the VDC is still actually on fully.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 04-18-2003, 05:58 PM

VDC, or Vehicle Dynamic Control, is a full-blown Stability control system, which goes a step further than Traction control systems. TCS won't recover from a skid.