jack stand placement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^That's where I put mine on the front.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
i used to jus jack it up using the hand jack and place the jack stand right next to it.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i set mine under the sway bar bushings. i have the same type of jackstand foot pictured in the OP and it sits perfect right there

Old 03-16-2011, 04:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you can put on frame, the 2 parallel bars running down most of the length in your car beside the transmission. or right next to the pinch welds. really really hard to explain, i'll try to post pictures if anything when i have the time

Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I use the frame welds as well towards the middle of the car. If you use the jack points intended for the portable jack (with jack stands), they will bend, especially the rear ones the front ones are a lot stronger. My question since were discussing jacking points is I have been jacking up the rear using the differential (pumpkin) is this safe or will it wear the diff bushings, i have been told it is ok..

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by smoovarrowhead
I use the frame welds as well towards the middle of the car. If you use the jack points intended for the portable jack (with jack stands), they will bend, especially the rear ones the front ones are a lot stronger. My question since were discussing jacking points is I have been jacking up the rear using the differential (pumpkin) is this safe or will it wear the diff bushings, i have been told it is ok..
safe. its a great central jacking point to get both rear wheels up at the same time. i use it often on my truck and car

Old 03-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by erklep
i set mine under the sway bar bushings. i have the same type of jackstand foot pictured in the OP and it sits perfect right there
If you read your manual "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"
Originally Posted by smoovarrowhead
Again, if you read the manual there are jack points on the frame rail behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. You can position the jack stands in those areas. I wouldn't jack up my coupe using the differential due to the extra stress you're putting on it and I wouldn't want to mess up my differential cooler/cover....
Gary

Old 03-16-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
If you read your manual "YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG!"

Again, if you read the manual there are jack points on the frame rail behind the front wheels and in front of the rear wheels. You can position the jack stands in those areas. I wouldn't jack up my coupe using the differential due to the extra stress you're putting on it and I wouldn't want to mess up my differential cooler/cover....
Gary
manual... shmanual. i know what it says but just because the manual states to use the frame rails doesnt mean thats the only spot that can be used. placing them under the sway bar bushings or under the diff isnt causing anymore stress on the bushings than what is stressed when the vehicle is on the ground or goes over bumps

Old 03-16-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Lifting points are on page GI-42 of the service manual. The diff is specifically included as a jack point and there is also a point on the front subframe (behind the oil pan). The front point even has a cone shape to make it easier to find. This page recommends adapters that have a groove for the pinch welds, but these are hard to find. Some members have made their own. Some of my pinch welds are bent because I don't have adapters.

Don't forget to chock the wheels. Even if you are in gear and have the parking brake on, the car can start rolling if you lift the rear and the surface isn't completely level. I won't make that mistake again!

Other safety tips: Don't get under a car that isn't supported by stands, the jack does not count as a stand! Put your wheels under the frame for added insurance.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
^ +1

Old 03-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always use the frame rails too. You aint bending those bad boys. Just wish I had a low profile jack though, I hate my sears **** special.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:16 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by brandon402
I always use the frame rails too. You aint bending those bad boys. Just wish I had a low profile jack though, I hate my sears **** special.
I have a standard Sears jack Brandon but to make jacking my lowered G in the air I made my own roll ups out of 2X4s. There 18" long and angle cut to make it easier to roll on. They always work and I never leave home without 'em, cost is minimal all you need is screws/glue and one 2X4....
Gary

Old 03-17-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
those drive on plastic ramps have also been a great tool to use for oil changes, clutch flushes, etc. always using those instead of jacks

Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 AM
G35 6MT Coupe
Old thread, but I'm resurrecting it. I understand that you want to put the jackstands under the manual recommended jack point for changing a tire, but physics doesnt allow 2 things to be in the same place at the same time. How do I jack my car up to put the jack stands under the jack point?

Old 10-13-2014, 02:14 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Jack up the car and place stands according to that diagram. That's all.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: jack stand placement