G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Only getting 200 Miles on a full tank, wtf?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Only getting 200 Miles on a full tank, wtf?

I own a 2004 g35 coupe, 5AT. Complete stock car, no mods at all yet, and all tires are 30 psi. It has 98,000 miles on it. I use 93 octane gas( BP Ultimate with that invigorate stuff ). My gas milage is terrible, around 10 MPG. What can i do to check/fix my MPG?

p.s. it costs 45 bucks a week to fill her up and I dont drive hard at all :|

Last edited by Smitty50; 10-06-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You certainly have a problem. I would start by changing my oil, air filter, and fuel filter. If that doesn't increase the mileage, i'd start checking plugs and injectors. 10mpg is crazy.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Thank you I was thinking about doing the whole works soon. There must be something wrong that I can just change instead of the actual car.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Oh yeah it should definitely be fixable. It sounds like a combination of dirty filters and/or oil.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:44 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
+1 on the filters and oil.

Let me know if you need any of those parts. I can have them shipped off to you today!

Old 10-06-2010, 03:58 PM
_
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
hmm MT always use less gas, AT uses more gas? that is fact, i guess

Old 10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
30 PSI? That's a little low.... although that's certainly not going to be the sole contributing factor to you getting such extremely bad gas mileage as you are.

The recommended pressure is 35 PSI.

Is your Check Engine Light on?

Give us some info about the cars history..... did you buy it new? How long has it been having such poor fuel economy?

I've seen situations in the past where a person buys a car from a shady used car dealer, and the car had a problem that was causing the Check Engine Light to be on, and the dealer would just smash the bulb in the dashboard for the Check Engine Light, so a buyer wouldn't know there was a problem with the car. That actually happened to my dad when he bought some old piece-o-junk used GMC Sonoma a few years ago.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
check your tire pressures. I have an 07 with 19s and it calls for 35lb of pressure. Its just a thought.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry Partyman66 just read your post lol.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts
Consider cleaning you throttle body and O2 sensor. These are largely ignored when looking at mpg and even some power gains. When cleaning the throttle body, be careful that you use a cleaner that won't damage the sensor, otherwise you can worsen a problem or create one where none existed.

With respect to the sensor, have it checked or check it yourself to see (sometimes codes won't register it as bad) if it's "switching" correctly. I believe it's a Bosch planar type (not sure, does anyone know this??), so readings could be tricky since it may use newer "wide band" technology. >50% of newer cars now use these b/c of their efficiency and effects on mpg, emissions, power, etc.

I've done everything others have suggested above, plus this and a few other things (e.g., run Sea Foam thru my vacuum line and gas tank), and average about 450 miles per tank with 40% city/60% highway in somewhat rough (potholes, bad roads, very steep inclines) terrain.

Good luck and I hope this helps
Isa

Last edited by Infiniti Chica; 10-06-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty50
I own a 2004 g35 coupe, 5AT. Complete stock car, no mods at all yet, and all tires are 30 psi. It has 98,000 miles on it. I use 93 octane gas( BP Ultimate with that invigorate stuff ). My gas milage is terrible, around 10 MPG. What can i do to check/fix my MPG?

p.s. it costs 45 bucks a week to fill her up and I dont drive hard at all :|
45 dollars to fill her up?
i had a similar issue but it had something to due with my gas tank , dont remember what but it would say i had a full tank but it only filled up 3/4 of the way, took it to the dealership and the said that my gas guage inside the tank was off

Old 10-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
yep 30 is a bit low try 35. Hows your air filter?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Can you share how you're calculating 10 m.p.g.? I hate to ask this, but we've seen time and time again fuel economy calculations being done incorrectly.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
30 PSI? That's a little low.... although that's certainly not going to be the sole contributing factor to you getting such extremely bad gas mileage as you are.

The recommended pressure is 35 PSI.

Is your Check Engine Light on?

Give us some info about the cars history..... did you buy it new? How long has it been having such poor fuel economy?

I've seen situations in the past where a person buys a car from a shady used car dealer, and the car had a problem that was causing the Check Engine Light to be on, and the dealer would just smash the bulb in the dashboard for the Check Engine Light, so a buyer wouldn't know there was a problem with the car. That actually happened to my dad when he bought some old piece-o-junk used GMC Sonoma a few years ago.
I just double checked my Tire and Loading Information on my car and it states the recommended is 30 PSI. I can take a picture to show you.

Nope no engine lights at all, I have yet to see one yet

I just bought it over a month ago from a 1 owner old person. He babyed the hell out of it so it seems like he treated it well.

Over 2 weeks the MPG is just been terrible and being 17 my job isnt paying enough for my gas :\

Thats a scary story right there that would be the worst for me. But nothing at all. Everything is stock in the car and in tip top shape as far as im concerned.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Infiniti Chica
Consider cleaning you throttle body and O2 sensor. These are largely ignored when looking at mpg and even some power gains. When cleaning the throttle body, be careful that you use a cleaner that won't damage the sensor, otherwise you can worsen a problem or create one where none existed.

With respect to the sensor, have it checked or check it yourself to see (sometimes codes won't register it as bad) if it's "switching" correctly. I believe it's a Bosch planar type (not sure, does anyone know this??), so readings could be tricky since it may use newer "wide band" technology. >50% of newer cars now use these b/c of their efficiency and effects on mpg, emissions, power, etc.

I've done everything others have suggested above, plus this and a few other things (e.g., run Sea Foam thru my vacuum line and gas tank), and average about 450 miles per tank with 40% city/60% highway in somewhat rough (potholes, bad roads, very steep inclines) terrain.

Good luck and I hope this helps
Isa
Im assuming to clean those sensors, you use Seafoam? My next oil change is in 500 miles and I was already planning on seafoaming my car.

My driving is basically 60% city, 40% highway. Mostly smooth roads.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Only getting 200 Miles on a full tank, wtf?