G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

clunk while turning out of driveway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 08:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clunk while turning out of driveway

I've noticed this strange problem when making a right or left turn out of a declining driveway, or a driveway with a curb. As I'm making the turn out of the declining driveway, I get this really nasty sounding pop/clunk sound from somewhere in the back of the car. It sounds like its coming from the body of the car (not the suspension). Almost like the trunk lid is making the sound. Its really baffling me as to what is making this sound, because all the body panels are lined up perfectly, and there's nothing wrong with the trunk lid fit, or the rear window, or the rear seat.

Has anyone else noticed a sound like this? If so, do you know what it is?

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black, headers, intake, exhaust, 380 rwhp

Old 10-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: clunk while turning out of driveway

if its directly above passenger, behind the sunroof and happens when the body twists, ALOT of coupes do this. I describe mine as an acorn hitting the top of the car. Its starting to do it more often (18 months now).

Some people have reported that the dealer tightened the sunroof rails and it went away. I've had that done, then later got a new sunroof (for the squeaky, dry rotted seal), but the pop has persisted.

I'm going down to Grubbs in Dec and see if they can isolate it. Long drive, but if anyone can find it, they can. It really annoying but with so many coupes doing it, I'm sure someone will get it figured out. Tired of being a guinea pig at the local dealer : /

Old 10-23-2004, 05:01 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

if its directly above passenger, behind the sunroof and happens when the body twists, ALOT of coupes do this. I describe mine as an acorn hitting the top of the car.

<hr></blockquote>

That's exactly the sound and circumstance when it happens. Mine is the same age as yours too (18 months).

I'm kind of surprised the roof has so much flex to it, considering the rest of the car is pretty solid. I guess I should just chalk it up as a normal coupe fluke.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure you didn't just run over something that fell off of that chevy?????
JK..

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 10-24-2004, 09:16 PM

same problem here.. taking it in to the dealer... I'll let you know what they say...

But it is comming from the top of the car behind the sunroof area for me as well.

2003.5 G35C 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 10-25-2004, 01:12 AM
g4s

it will progressively get worse, so my advice is to take it to the dealer. initially it only occurred on very steep driveways and i thought it was coming from the right rear wheel well. after a few months, the popping occurred frequently on uneven road and i knew it was coming from the sunroof area.

this has been discussed here as well.

g4s = flex7825

Old 10-25-2004, 06:47 PM

So is it the moonroof rails that are causing the noise? It doesn't seem like there's a clear answer/solution based on that freshalloy thread.

I wonder if anyone with a coupe without a moonroof has this noise?

Old 10-25-2004, 07:30 PM

I had this exact same problem about 8 months ago. Basically when turning out of/into an inclined area (like a driveway) I would get the same "knuckle pop" or knock sound. Mine was so easily reproducible because close to my work there is a long driveway with a small drain gulley in the middle, so you could weave back and forth over the gulley and it would pop each time. Anyway back to the fix, the dealer kept my car for over a week, kept calling back and forth from Infiniti engineering. They finally did fix the problem, and no, it did not involve any kind of structural re-welding or cutting up or anything like that. At least they didn't say so on my service report

Let me look it up later today when I get home. I recall the fix had something to do with putting some sort of cushioning/insulation in/on some part of the pillar/sunroof area.

Anyway 8 months later and the problem has yet to resurface, so I'd say it was a good fix.

-T

Old 10-26-2004, 07:40 PM
g4s

well mine was fixed within an hour and a half. thank god i didnt have to wait 1 week. hope you can get it fixed because i know how annoying it is. heres what my printout said (which was stated in the freshalloy thread)....not sure what to say to the non-sunroof owners.

"sunroof loose at A pillar rt frt tightened up sunroof rail mounting points."