G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 to STi...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 02:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 to STi...

hey, i totally agree with you man. it all depends on what you want out of a car. obviously you want a performance vehicle, so go with the STi. the G without a doubt doesn't perform like an STi. those cars are amazing right out of the box. i researched the STi for like 8 months and was about to buy it.
but then i thought maybe i wanted luxury in a new car since my last car was already kick *** fast. so i looked at the benzes and the bimmers. then i thought "not enough performance." so i headed out to the infiniti dealer just for sh*ts and giggles.
i never in my life think i'd ever get this car, but i also never took a closer look.once i saw the G i had to have one. ultimately i wanted more luxury than performance so i opted for the G instead of the STi and vice versa with the bimmer and benz. i needed heated leather seats, a sunroof, stereo, and floor mats. but i also needed more performance than a 330ci. since i can't afford an M3 right now, i opted for the G. i mean, the G is not an M3, but for the money its a hell of a car.
sometimes i wish i had more performance outta my G like the time i got my *** handed to me by a WRX. made me think "damn, i wish this thing is faster." hopefully gonna be solved when i decide to go FI. but there were just way too many more times that i said "damn, i'm glad i have the G."
don't think you are disrespecting anyone by selling the G and gettin an STi, its a hell of a car. like i said, it all depends on what you want out of yer car. good luck with it and hope to see you in a G in about 5 years!

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra/19x9.5(f)19x10.5(r) Volk SF Winnings/BFGoodrich 245/35(f)275/30(r)/Tein Flex Coilovers/Tein EDFC
Sponsored by BFGoodrich, Ai Design (www.aidesign.com)

Old 10-24-2004, 06:07 AM

If you want a performance machine you might want to consider the 05 C6 Vette. They are no joke and Z07 will be out later next year. I don't think there will be anything around 50-60 dollar range that can keep up with a Z07.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

For the last time...the STI is a race car, period. The Subaru disclaimer states that the car is noisy, has a hard ride/feel, and was NOT built for comfort. People that purchase this car understand this. The is a true race car, i know because i have one.

<hr></blockquote>

A race car? LOL It's pretty slow for a race car. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Just because its "rally inspired", is pretty quick, and is noisey and rough, doesn't make it a race car. I've ridden in real track-only race cars on the track, and can tell you that a real race car makes an STi feel like a Lexus LS430 by comparison.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black, headers, intake, exhaust, 380 rwhp

Old 10-24-2004, 10:26 AM

IT IS A RACE CAR! AN INTERCOOLED 4 CYLINDER BOXSTER ENGINE THAT PUTS OUT 300HP AND 300 LB/FT TORQUE...I GUESS YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT CARS DO YOU?

Old 10-24-2004, 11:40 AM

AN INTERCOOLED

<hr></blockquote>

So an intercooler makes it a race car? A Neon SRT-4 has an intercooler - does that make it a race car? A Dodge Ram Cummins turbo diesel has an intercooler - does that make it a race truck?

4 CYLINDER

<hr></blockquote>

Oh, that's impressive. A teeny weeny little 4 banger. How cute. Yeah, that's definitely race car material!

BOXSTER ENGINE

<hr></blockquote>

Do you know what a boxster engine means? It's a horizontally opposed cylinder configuration. It doesn't make any more power or is any more "race car" than an inline 4 cylinder or a V-type engine. The only advantage of a horizontally opposed engine is space savings for certain cars (they have a very low and thin profile compared to an inline 4 block). They also work better in an air-cooled configuration, which is why Volkswagen and Porsche used them. I guess you're proud to share the same engine configuration as a VW Beetle. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

300HP AND 300 LB/FT TORQUE

<hr></blockquote>

Is that all? Hell, the G35 produces almost that much at 280hp, so is it a race car too?

I'll admit its horsepower is impressive considering its tiny engine size, but 300hp does not make a race car a race car.

I GUESS YOU DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT CARS DO YOU?

<hr></blockquote>

I know WAY more than the drivel your Subaru dealer fed you.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:47 AM

Your missing the point numbnutts! This is not an attack against the G35, SO QUIET DOWN. I'm merely explaining to you how such a small engine (STI) is able to produce such enormous horsepower...thats all. I'm not making this stuff up. The car is often compare to the performance of a 911. I tell you what, lets race then i'd bet you shut up!

Old 10-24-2004, 12:38 PM

LOL, if you want something close to a race car, buy an Evo RS. No A/C, no stereo, no power anything, no leather, no HID, aluminum roof, pretty much stripped of everything including sound insulation. That comes close to a race car but as Z06ified stated, it's still more comfortable than one :P

'04.5 TwilightBlue Coupe [AT5]//Willow Leather//Premium Pkg//Perf. Tire & Wheel Pkg//Sunroof//Splash Guards//Sirius Sat Radio

Old 10-24-2004, 01:29 PM

Your missing the point numbnutts!

<hr></blockquote>
mods - take note of who is firing personal insults and name calling - not me!

This is not an attack against the G35, SO QUIET DOWN.

<hr></blockquote>
You're the one who is SHOUTING with the CAPS ON.

I'm merely explaining to you how such a small engine (STI) is able to produce such enormous horsepower...

<hr></blockquote>
You're explaining to me? Riiiiggggghhhhttttt... LMAO. Its called forced induction dude. Turbos have been around since the early 1900's, making tremendous horsepower out of small engines that otherwise couldn't. Do a little history reading, and you'll realize your STi is nothing new.

The car is often compare to the performance of a 911.

<hr></blockquote> Big deal. 911's are slow too except for the Turbo, GT2 & GT3, all of which will smoke an STi like its standing still. I wouldn't call a 911 Carrera an impressive performance benchmark to compare an STi with.

I tell you what, lets race then i'd bet you shut up!

<hr></blockquote>

LOL - you want to race my Z06 against your STi? That's pretty funny. You could easily pull me from a stop until about 30 MPH because of your AWD, but after that forget it - you'll be passed like you're standing still. I've raced modded Evo's and stock STi's before, and can safely say it wasn't even a challenge for me.

Now, before you start getting all upset, I'm not saying there aren't MODDED STi's and Evo's out there that can smoke my Z06. I know there are. But stock, or even lightly modded, an STi is no match for a Z06.

So when do you want to race your Subaru I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-An-Imprezza-Econobox STi? I can't wait to see what it's got [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2004, 02:11 PM

The ZO6 like other American muscle cars are overrated. They are too heavy, overpriced, can't handle, and have cheap parts. Thats why you only see grey-haired old men driving them. Remember my STI is stock..i bet you spent tons of money in every attempt to get that vette faster. A friend of mine owns a vette, and he recently admitted to being burned by a civic! Go figure.

Old 10-24-2004, 03:39 PM
Devil's Advocate

You guys got me looking at the new C6 vettes. Man that is starting to look like a pretty sweet package.

I could never get a STI. To me they have no style at all, but if your primary goal is to be quick and grumpy that's your perogative.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-24-2004, 04:02 PM

The ZO6 like other American muscle cars are overrated. They are too heavy, overpriced, can't handle, and have cheap parts.

<hr></blockquote>

I don't know what can be more incorrect than what you just said. Obviously you have never driven a Z06. Stop making blind statements. In fact, I will put money on z06ified that he will beat you on a track in his poor handling machine, says you, than your AWD STI.

Its the driver that drives the car, frankly, I don't think you got it.

Old 10-24-2004, 04:10 PM

boxster is a car (ie porsche boxster... boxer + roadster = boxster), boxer is the motor (ie horizontally opposed as ZO6ified stated (w/ boxer instead of boxster mentioned)

Old 10-24-2004, 04:18 PM

after driving my father's G35c and considering both the G35x and an STi, I ended up buying an Evo. I often find myself apologizing to my passengers (especially older folks) for the rough risde and the extra noisy gearbox/interior/wheels. I still wouldnt trade the Evo for anything...it is a BLAST to drive... I even enjoy slow commutes. I dont mind the rough ride, though the interior noise gets a bit old on a long drive (decelerating in gear makes an "interesting" sound) . A good friend of mine owns an STi and I LOVE that car as well. The Evo is definitely more visceral (for better or for worse) and overall I like the feel of it better.

as far as AWD, even though they come with performance tires (8 in wide STi, 8.5 in Evo, both W rated) they can handle themselves quite well in the winter. If you switch out the summer tires for snow/ice rubbers then both cars handle like beasts in the snow.

its way too hard to compare the G and the Evo or STi, the latter two have looks that are controversial while the G exhibits beauty all around. all are fun to drive but i can't stress enough how entertaining the Evo is, all the time.

I would say, go out and drive the STi, multiple times. You really want to consider the luxury and universal appeal that you'll be giving up for what many people think of as "Econobox + wing" styling. The drives are different. The suspesion/tires/gearbox of the Evo sets you up for a more spirited driving experience i think...but at the cost of some comfort.

the 05 STi should come a bit more insulated and more "user-friendly" but will never match the creature comforts of the G.

just make sure you arent disappointed...go to an STi forum and read about owner issues/complaints... and drive it, many times if possible.

either way, good luck

-Dave

372444-evosml.jpg

Old 10-24-2004, 04:22 PM

as for the Z06 - INSANE! they are fast and handle like crazy...a friend's father switched from a 3000GT VR-4 to the Z06 and tauts the handling improvement every time i see him. He also frequently autocrosses his STOCK Z06 and does quite well

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 to STi...