G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 to STi...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 12:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 to STi...

Hi. I have owned my G35 for about 7 months now. I love it. It's a great car. I have recently been looking into an STi however. The plan is to trade in my G35 w/ 10k miles on it for a new STi and incur about $4000 deficit that I would have to pay. I am only almost 20 years old, yes I know i shouldnt have either car at this point in my life but I am very fortunate. My tastes in cars have changed over the past few months, I am now into the more sporty, less luxurious cars. I also would love to own a manual, as my G35 is 5AT. Any thoughts on this? I went for a test drive in the STi and MAN OMG... I know you're not supposed to act excited or anything when looking for a new car but i couldnt contain myself.. And I realize that I'm sacrificing lots of comfort, but I was pleasantly surprised by the STi's comfort. Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Re: G35 to STi...

Bro, your post is exactly what i just went through about a week ago. I just traded in my 2003 BS G35 6mt for an 05' STI , racing blue w/ gold rims. I had my car for 14 months and i too wanted something more sporty/distinct. I do however love the G and what it represents, but, for me, life is too short an iwant a taste of everything. I had 14K on my car. The STI is amazing, but very different from the G. It is crazy fast, i recently wasted a Roush Mustang.

Old 10-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are going backwards, but I guess that's okay.
hahaha (backwards in terms of age group buying those
cars). I use to have a modded 02WRX, loved the car.
recently aquired my G35C 6mt.

Here's a site of what my rex looked and had. It was a very
exciting car and enjoyed it. Your STi's are even more fun.

http://hometown.aol.com/teined/wrx.html

2004 G35C 6MT Brilliant Silver

Old 10-23-2004, 03:43 PM

I can see where this thread is going ...

Old 10-23-2004, 03:52 PM

They are both great cars and perform very well for what they were designed (they are different beasts). It's more about your personal style and what you like rather than what other people think. Go with what your gut is telling you, that's the only way you will truly be happy with your decision. IMO, if you end up taking a loss on the trade so be it, that's how we learn what we really like by trying out different things and sometimes it can be costly, but worth it in the end. I'm not really one to just "settle for less" than what I want and it sounds like you are the same way =)

Good luck and I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make.

--
Copbait
'04 6MT Loaded, black chrome wheels *PICS*

Old 10-23-2004, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not going to argue with your decision. But my opinion is an STi isn't even close to my kind of car, and aside from performance, I think you're taking a large step backwards in the automotive food chain. But, it sounds like you've made up your mind already, so enough of that.

Assuming trading your G35 for an STi is a good idea, financially its stupid. If you really want to make the switch to an STi, buy a used one that is the same age or slightly older than your G35 is. Just don't buy a modded one. Buy one with low miles that is bone stock, and most importantly, still under warranty.

Financially, the worst thing you could possibly do is trade in or sell a new car within a year, and then buy another new car. You're taking the biggest depreciation hits of the car's entire life, and you're getting slammed TWICE. Not to mention paying sales tax TWICE. Between the depreciation hit of both cars, and paying the sales tax on both cars, you could be looking at $15k vanishing from your pockets in the span of a year and a half - easy. Think about it.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black, headers, intake, exhaust, 380 rwhp

Old 10-23-2004, 06:17 PM

For the last time...the STI is a race car, period. The Subaru disclaimer states that the car is noisy, has a hard ride/feel, and was NOT built for comfort. People that purchase this car understand this. The is a true race car, i know because i have one. It's unique, ruff-around-the-edges and strait out raw. I bought it because i wanted to get back to the essence of driving. I kinda got tired of the "heated seats" type car. But i did however enjoy the G. Besides, i drove the G in the snow and i was scared for my life! You can' tbeat AWD.

Old 10-23-2004, 06:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's what I think you should do.......Get the STI......
Set a TV on the hood in the driveway and watch the World Rally Championships.........
Make lots of fast car, motor noises ...while you pretend you are driving......
Enjoy.

"I like you.....You remind me of myself when I was young and foolish"

Old 10-23-2004, 06:59 PM

I went in the opposite direction. I bought an STI after reseraching the car and test driving it on multiple occassions. The car screams. The dealer would not allow me to test drive it on the highway to conserve the miles on the lone STI in Tucson. After much debate, I bought it. After three weeks of commuting to work, it was too much wear and tear on the body. The stiff suspension is tolerable, but combine it with absolutely no sound insulation is a formula for tough, exhausting commuting. If you really want to know what you are in for, TAKE IT TO A DRIVE THRU CAR WASH AND LISTEN. That's a preview . If you're flying around town, okay. However, if you propose to do any real commuting, forget about it. The car is a hyper-performance machine that is best spent on the track (which I did) and employed as a weekend rocket. The G, on the otherhand, is a true livable sportscar: Tons of torque, rwd, great ride and handling, and great sound insulation. I'm a lot older than you (37) so you may have a higher threshold for pain. Really do your homewwork and best regards.

-MD

Old 10-23-2004, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't go from a G to an STi, but I can understand why someone would. Having said that, have you test driven an Evo MR? If I had an extra 35K to blow on a fun car that's what I would probably get. I think Mitsubishi has a better warrenty (although if you're modding, I guess it doesn't matter) and the MR edition has an added exclusivity factor. Plus every publication/website seem to like the Evo just a little more than the STi.
Anyway, I'm sure the STi is an awesome car. Whatever you end up with will no doubt bring bring big grins to your face.

<font color=purple>2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite 5AT</font color=purple>
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels, Z-Xtreme Hyper Grounding Cables,
K&N filter, Clear Corners, 350Z Aluminum Pedals,
Sony Ericsson HCB-30

Old 10-23-2004, 11:24 PM

I agree you should look into the Evo MR. IHMO it's a much better car if you want all out performance and I would not think twice in choosing the MR over the STi...

'04.5 TwilightBlue Coupe [AT5]//Willow Leather//Premium Pkg//Perf. Tire & Wheel Pkg//Sunroof//Splash Guards//Sirius Sat Radio

Old 10-24-2004, 12:49 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If i had the opportunity i think i would get the Evo MR in a second over my G and an Sti, i wanted an Sti but i rode in my friends and everything and i couldnt see myself driving it everyday but i love the raw performance out of it, the MR i would make an exception before because i think it is one of the sickest looking cars, especially in white! Look into the Evo MR!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 10-24-2004, 12:53 AM

Great choice on the STi, I've decided to park the G and get an STi this winter. Granted the Evo is a nice car but while Mitsubishi is crumbling as a company, not to mention getting on the internet to void owners warranty, Subaru holds their own Autocross events.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 to STi...