G35 to STi...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 08:28 PM
Premier Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: G35 to STi...

My 2 cents,

I recentley drove the C6 vette at GMC's "auto show in motion" and wasn't just impressed, but was blown away. For around 45K you get something very special, that looks beautiful and will outperform cars costing three times as much if not more.
I am not a huge fan of american cars, this car has changed my mind. I was considering getting into an M3 in the near future and after the short drive in the vette I'm reconsidering my next purchase. As regards Evo's & Sti's, it's all subjective, pick the car that's right for you...it's not right for me because at 35 I don't want a car that looks like a toy.

Flame away.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:42 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Uh, twin turbo Vipers can put down over 1,000hp, and will run the quarter in the high 8's at over 150MPH.

I didn't realize you could build a 1,000hp Evo or STi for only $15k in mods. Hmmm

<hr></blockquote>

Yeah, if you read the rest of the supercar shootout, the Vishnu Evo tie the TT viper in numerous tests. In either case, sinking $15k into an Evo will make one hell of a car. Boy Racer (ricer) or not.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by avengerhed on 10/24/04 05:56 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-24-2004, 08:47 PM

Don't forget, with AWD you dont need 1000 hp to make crazy times. But its a moot point cause i didnt buy a new car to drop $15k into...I wanted an AWD car with some get-up-and-go and i got one.

2004 RSI SR Twin Turbo Viper SRT-10
1/4-mile: 11.6 sec @ 130 mph
Road course: 48.5 sec
150-to-0-mph braking: 638 feet
Total course time: 97.5 sec

2004 Vishnu Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
1/4-mile: 11.6 sec @ 120 mph
Road course: 48.5 sec
150-to-0-mph braking: 710 feet
Total course time: 104.1 sec

Viper = $136,745
Evo = $56,874

*Edit* This particular Evo is just one tuner's evo, in the way that the TT viper is just one tuner's example.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:02 PM

For a pure track car, the Evo8 is an amazing value and Vishnu shows what you can do without spending a fortune. However, I don't see it as a daily driver.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:21 PM

Highlife (Newbie)
0/24/04 11:11 AM

The ZO6 like other American muscle cars are overrated. They are too heavy, overpriced, can't handle, and have cheap parts. Thats why you only see grey-haired old men driving them. Remember my STI is stock..i bet you spent tons of money in every attempt to get that vette faster. A friend of mine owns a vette, and he recently admitted to being burned by a civic! Go figure.

<hr></blockquote>

Please don't feed the trolls.

--
Copbait
'04 6MT Loaded, black chrome wheels *PICS*

Old 10-24-2004, 11:06 PM

I owned a 2000 C5 coupe and loved every minute of my year and a half with that car. With only a few bolt-ons I was pulling 385HP with slightly more torque and running high 12's at the strip. Overall handling and cornering were also excellent. I ran against my friend in a 1st gen Viper and we were dead even from a 35MPH roll all the way up to 110 or so. All that performance AND about 30MPG on the highway, good luck finding many cars capable of pulling that off.

The C6's bring things to an even higher level, and I think they also benefited greatly by the body redesign (that C5 *** end was HUGE and plain). I'm not much of a traditionalist and also really like the new flush headlight design, who wants popup airbrakes anyway? Can't wait to see what the new Z's will be doing, should be a real viper killer =)

--
Copbait
'04 6MT Loaded, black chrome wheels *PICS*

Old 10-24-2004, 11:23 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Havent seen an Evo that could come anywhere enar a TT Viper, now that's some serious stuff! Have a link to it? And IMO the Evo MR or Evo is a beautifull car, well in white and black IMO again lol, i the MR i love also and really want, but the interior just turns me off! They should have put some leather recaro seats in it like the Audi S4, couldnt have put on so much weight!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package
0-60 5.4 - 1/4 Mile 14.16 *GTech* and on 19's!!

Old 10-25-2004, 06:22 AM

Havent seen an Evo that could come anywhere enar a TT Viper, now that's some serious stuff! Have a link to it?

<hr></blockquote>

Sure do Vishnu Evo

Whole Article

They should have put some leather recaro seats in it like the Audi S4

<hr></blockquote> a leather recaro interior was an option, though part of an overpriced package. Personally, i think the stock recaro seats are nice, its the dashboard/interior trim that looks like a rental [img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img] and the leather pacakge didnt change that one bit

Old 10-25-2004, 11:23 AM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

I guess the Evo is a pretty good contender to the Hennessey TT Viper, but clearly to the 0-100 and 1/4mile times the Evo is long gone! The 0-60 the Evo will get the Viper on because of traction, i bet you if the Viper had full traction, 0-60 could be under 3 seconds like they advertise for the TT kit packages from Hennessy . I am really dissapointed at the AA M3, so much hype about that kit and it is garbage, i was going to do that to the M3 also if i got one, but honestly this makes me not want one now especially because i want to modify it and i'll never get the perf. out of it i need/want!! That HPA R32 has done a 0-60 run in 3.2 sec's and 1/4 mile in 11.1-2? Ive seen it before fast as hell... That was a stg. 3 turbo upgrade though i think..

Anyway the thing that turns me off about the Evo is its rental car look seats, i hateeee those stock recaro seats, i guess its the check int he fabric and color that reminds me of a cavalier or something, i think witht he leather recaros it would have been so much nicer! Thanks for the link, i cant believe i havent seen this article before! Martin

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

Old 10-25-2004, 02:05 PM

For a pure track car, the Evo8 is an amazing value and Vishnu shows what you can do without spending a fortune.

<hr></blockquote>

The Vishnu Evo turns some impressive numbers, but you can see the difference in the quarter mile trap speeds. 120 vs. 130 is a huge difference. What it tells you is the Viper is substantially more powerful, but is severely traction limited from a stop, while the Vishnu Evo is not. Definitely a benefit of AWD. But on a road course, the Evo's power deficit shows more than on a drag strip.

Also, if I recall, that tuner test required all the cars to run on street tires, which definitely gives an AWD car a huge advantage in the traction department. Put slicks or racing tires on the Viper, and you can expect to see substantial improvements in the 1/4 mile times (a 130 mph trap speed should be in the high 10's with good traction), while not much would change with the Evo.

Anyway, I don't know about amazing value. Nearly $57k is a lot of dough, especially for a car that has its roots from a Lancer econobox, and has very little day to day comfort and liveability.

If that's value, then how about this option to make things interesting. Take a stock Z06, and put on a Vortech supercharger ($7k). Total price would equal the Vishnu Evo, while generating about 550hp with conservative boost, which will push a Z06 into the low 11's with high 120's trap speed in the quarter mile. Braking and handling remain the same, which will more than hold their own against the Vishnu and Viper. Which would you rather have for the same price: a Vishnu Evo or a supercharged 550hp Z06?

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black, headers, intake, exhaust, 380 rwhp

Old 10-25-2004, 02:47 PM

Guys, guys, guys... You're all forgetting about the most important aspect when comparing the econo-box turbos to the G. When you pull up to a young boy in his EVO or STI, his girlfriend is checking out your G the whole time [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]. She's not thinking, well this crappy looking, box on wheels is faster... she's thinking, "I'd put out for a ride in that G35"... [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What? You think that John Kerry is not consistent?

Old 10-25-2004, 03:25 PM
NY G-Squad G Race Driver

HAHAHA Neff!!!!!!

Martin
2003.5 BS G35
Nismo Aero/Sport Package

Old 10-25-2004, 03:52 PM

you're speaking up for him like you're his girl...go away!

<hr></blockquote>
I backed him up becuase he's speaking from experience, not repeating street tall tales.

I have seen civic beats ferraris too, running 1/4 mile in 6-7 seconds, so maybe instead of an STI you should get a civic? Makes sense when your whole intention of driving a car is to beat other people?

Old 10-25-2004, 06:41 PM

LOL - True. True. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black, headers, intake, exhaust, 380 rwhp

Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 PM

She's not thinking, well this crappy looking, box on wheels is faster... she's thinking, "I'd put out for a ride in that G35"...

<hr></blockquote>

Or perhaps she is thinking, "My guy is independent enough to buy a car based on his interests, not what other people think. He bought his car for himself, not someone else, and I find that confidence sexy. Oh yeah, and I don't mind being taken for a wild ride in a genuinely fast car every so often."

I don't mean to insult either the G35 or the STi, but I am sick of these "what will girls think" posts. If you think that the car you drive will change the type of girls you get, you either have absolutely no game or you are hitting on some superficial or slutty girls. You may be able to attract some girls if you drive an exotic or rare car. The G35 mass-produced, $35K vehicle. It's good looking but fairly common.

Let's evaluate these cars based on their actual advantages and disadvantages, not made-up situations of what girls would hypothetically think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 to STi...