G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need advice for fighting BS citation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Need advice for fighting BS citation

For the lovely Californians, this is going to be a good read.

My friend borrowed my '03 G35 to pay a visit to the doctor, and upon his return to the car he discovered a ticket on the windshield. My G35 was cited for no front plate (NFP).

Now, usually people on the forums ***** about getting a NFP ticket when they don't have one. I'm *****ing because I got a ticket where there is a front plate on my car. It's mounted on the passenger-side of the vehicle, so it's completely visible to the meter maid who is walking along the sidewalk (parallel parking means your passenger side faces the sidewalk). Why the meter maid chose to write a citation for NFP, I do not know.

It is legal to bend the plate (according to the body shop and a search on Google), as long as the numbers are clearly visible. This was not my idea, my body shop did it for me when I had them paint and install the Nismo bumper, but I saw no reason to remove it.

That specific picture dates back to 9/26/2010, the night I picked it up from the body shop. It has been on the car since then.

But anyways, I hate San Francisco for this. I was born and raised here, but this just makes my blood boil. Any advice? Does anyone know if meter maids take a picture of the front of the car when they issue these kind of citations? What options do I have? Because I sure as hell am not paying the fine.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
is it a fix it? i would ask a CHP officer.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
hmm, i've never heard of a situation like yours.

have you ever tried fighting a ticket w/ the city/metermaids? i have. after i sent in a request to contest a ticket, they never replied. i waited to long for their reply. it came in the form or a LATE PAYMENT notice so i was now being charged for another $25 on top of the $50.

after not rocking a front plate for years and years and after spending hundreds of dollars for tickets, i finally said 'fvck it' and put one on, right smack in the middle. i even have a handsome lic plate frame, too. gl man.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thats BS of them and you know what the bigger BS is now. it'll be cheaper and less time consuming to have the ticket signed off as well as paying the $10 fix it fee... going to court to fight it would definitely not be worth the time.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Is that a fix it fine though. A meter maid and cop arent the same in all places. I cant forsee them having like a precinct for meter maids.

I know most states require you can see the state on the license plate and also counties. If its blocked by things such as a license plate frame you can still be ticketed.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:57 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Im not sure how the law is written in Cali, but up here in Wa the front license plate must be displayed at the furthest forward point of the vehicle...which for most all vehicles happens to be the center of the front bumper cover.
I agree that its crappy that you got the ticket, at most I would figure that it would be a warning and not a citation being that you are still displaying on the bumper (as opposed to the dash like some people). But you didnt really have any say in the matter anyways since the ticket was issued without out you being present.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Sadly they probably won't believe you if you told them it was on your coupe when the ticket was written. It's also possible that CALIFORNIA has to be visible. When I had my BRE 510 I had a cut down license plate where the letters were cut off. I asked my brother-in-law Sheriff if I could get away with that on my G, his answer was NO. Maybe the letter need to be visible.... Stop a cop and ask....you already have one ticket.
Gary

Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to 5201 VC, the license plate must be mounted in a position so it is clearly visible. It can go either way, but I personally have never cited it. I have pulled people over for having their license plate in the same area being held down with zip ties and told them to mount it in the very front.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If I were to guess... you were ticketed because you can't see your registration sticker. The cop/meter maid can't tell if you're up to date on your registration so likely issued a ticket as a result. Cops around here don't give a crap about front plates or whether you have them ( I don't), however they are more particular about registration stickers and I've heard of several instances of people being pulled over and ticketed because they were out of compliance and hadn't re-newed for the new year.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
If I were to guess... you were ticketed because you can't see your registration sticker. The cop/meter maid can't tell if you're up to date on your registration so likely issued a ticket as a result. Cops around here don't give a crap about front plates or whether you have them ( I don't), however they are more particular about registration stickers and I've heard of several instances of people being pulled over and ticketed because they were out of compliance and hadn't re-newed for the new year.
Here in CA the registration tags are on the rear plates.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a ticket for my tinted tails the other day. I just bought some new ones, put them on and had the cop sign it off, sent my payment and put my tinted ones back on. I guess it's the price you pay for having the look you want.

Btw, I don't know if this is all over california, but they told me fix it tickets in San Diego are $25 now :-/

Old 02-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, I got a letter about it in the mail, they said if I wanted to fight it I'd have to pay a $195 deductible. If I won, I'd get my money back, but if I lost I'd lose the money. It's not worth it in my opinion

Old 02-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm so glad I don't live in a state that requires cars to have license plates plastered all over them.

I guess it's probably best to just send the state a check. I've read California is having a tough time paying it's bills.

Old 02-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just get it sign off, pay the fix it fee(which is now $25) and put the plate back to wherever u like. Not worth the hastle of fighting it, will cost u time and mor emoney in the long run.