G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Questions About G's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going with the G. The 5.0 is a little expensive just to have the same looking car as the rest of these kids around here that rice out their mustangs. And I drove my friends mom 5.0 and it didn't have as much torque as I expected but it was nice. Just want to stay different though. And my other friend that owns a 2008 mustang GT wants a G 35 now cause they look nice. The only reason I like speed is cause I hate having to floor a car to get it to go anywhere. So I'll get the G 35 sometime this month and start with bolt ons. Thanks everyone for the input. The decision maker was when B FIFE22 said Stangs only attract dudes. LOL

Old 02-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Tough decision. I struggled with the same decision before I bought my G three years ago...except back then the power difference wasn't what it is today. The new 5.0 Mustang is a serious upgrade from the last few years. Like you, one of the reasons I chose the G coupe over the Mustang was because I saw too many Mustangs every day.

Plus Mustangs scream "Disaffected white male / George W. Bush / bible thumping / gun-carrying / Sarah Palin idolizing / tea party supporting, inbred, ignorant racist." around here.

We rented a 2010 Mustang Convertible v-6 a year ago for a two week vacation we took in Arizona. On the first day, the passenger side kick panel fell off. I didn't even bother to reattach it...just threw it in the trunk. I didn't mind driving the car...it had nearly as much power as my G, but the cheap interior wouldn't cut it day after day. I wonder if the more upscale models have nicer interiors...can't really compare rentals to a car equipped the way I would buy one. I'd like to test drive a well-equipped 5.0 to see if the interior is any better.

I can't say I've seen many "riced out" Mustangs. Seems like people who like to mod their cars with no regard for taste prefer Japanese cars. I don't know why that is. I'm starting to get concerned about the future image of the G coupe as they get cheaper.

Depreciation on the Mustang would suck big time. The G still has some depreciation as well, but a five to seven year old car isn't going to lose nearly as much value over the first couple of years of ownership as a brand new vehicle is.

All that aside, dumping $8k into a $15k G, and basically throwing away 50,000 or more trouble-free engine miles just to get somewhere close to what the new 5.0 Mustang will produce power-wise bone stock with a warranty....that's kind of a tough one to justify as well.

When the 2003 G hit the dealerships with a 280 horsepower, aluminum v-6, it was more powerful than the Mustang GT's 4.6L v-8. The G was a phenomenal performance/luxury car then, and making a choice between a Mustang and a G wasn't really a question if one had the money to spend.

Now Ford has upped the ante considerably, and Nissan/Infiniti has been caught sitting on the toilet with their pants down. The 330 hp in the G37 isn't enough to make that car competitive with the new 5.0 Mustang from a performance standpoint - and that's a shame.

Infiniti needs to get off their *** and give us a G coupe with a 5.6L and 450+ horsepower.

It's not 2003 anymore.

Last edited by Irrelevant; 02-04-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:33 PM
^^I could not agree more.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
Infiniti needs to get off their *** and give us a G coupe with a 5.6L and 450+ horsepower.

It's not 2003 anymore.
There is only one problem here...similar cars with over 400 horsepower cost:
M3 414hp $71,426...C63 AMG 451hp $71,870. Under 400hp Audi S5 354hp $63,900. Infiniti can't build a 400hp car that would not fall in the same price range. I've listed cars that would be comparable to a 400hp G coupe.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
There is only one problem here...similar cars with over 400 horsepower cost:
M3 414hp $71,426...C63 AMG 451hp $71,870. Under 400hp Audi S5 354hp $63,900. Infiniti can't build a 400hp car that would not fall in the same price range. I've listed cars that would be comparable to a 400hp G coupe.
Infiniti is a Japanese "luxury" brand. The vehicles you listed are German...with a much longer history of luxury and quality...and corresponding higher prices historically.

Here's what I found for a Mustang msrp in 2003

and...

Here's what I found for a g35 msrp in 2003

I don't want to get into a debate about whether Infiniti is in the same class from a performance and quality perspective as BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Ford. The point I'm trying to make is simply that there was a time when the current G model outperformed a Ford Mustang, and was priced competitively. That time was in 2003.

In 2003, we didn't have to decide whether we wanted performance better than a Mustang, or a more luxurious, better quality vehicle. We could have both greater performance and luxury for roughly the same price.

In 2011, a g37 will carry a 15%-20% premium to a Mustang GT, and will underperform it in nearly every metric. That was not the case when the G was introduced. Today we have these discussions about performance vs. luxury. There wasn't a need for this in 2003.

Infiniti already has a 420 hp 5.6L engine installed in the M56. The engineering is already done on the engine...the rest of the powertrain shouldn't take a lot of additional investment.

I'm just asking Infiniti to give us G owners something so we don't have to choose between the brute performance of the Mustang, or the upscale amenities in the g series coupes.

Like they did in 2003.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Yea, it would make the G price shot up.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Prices on both cars already have. 2003 GT was $23,700 and a G35 was $32,600.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Irrelevant...I see your point and I agree! The only Japanese vechile that would be a contender to the German cars would be the Lexus IS-F with 416hp for $65,060. It is my opinion that Infiniti is testing the waters with the IPL with 348hp and priced at about $52,000. If the IPL sells well I can see a horsepower bump with a corresponding increase in price. To succeed the IPL will need to build it's own identity like the M, AMG and S. These are the cars that immediately are identified with luxury, handling and performance.
My point is that hp comes with a price.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Irrelevant...I see your point and I agree! The only Japanese vechile that would be a contender to the German cars would be the Lexus IS-F with 416hp for $65,060. It is my opinion that Infiniti is testing the waters with the IPL with 348hp and priced at about $52,000. If the IPL sells well I can see a horsepower bump with a corresponding increase in price. To succeed the IPL will need to build it's own identity like the M, AMG and S. These are the cars that immediately are identified with luxury, handling and performance.
Don't leave out the GT-R. Love that car.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Infiniti is a Japanese "luxury" brand. The vehicles you listed are German...with a much longer history of luxury and quality...and corresponding higher prices historically.

Here's what I found for a Mustang msrp in 2003

and...

Here's what I found for a g35 msrp in 2003

I don't want to get into a debate about whether Infiniti is in the same class from a performance and quality perspective as BMW, Audi, Mercedes, or Ford. The point I'm trying to make is simply that there was a time when the current G model outperformed a Ford Mustang, and was priced competitively. That time was in 2003.

In 2003, we didn't have to decide whether we wanted performance better than a Mustang, or a more luxurious, better quality vehicle. We could have both greater performance and luxury for roughly the same price.

In 2011, a g37 will carry a 15%-20% premium to a Mustang GT, and will underperform it in nearly every metric. That was not the case when the G was introduced. Today we have these discussions about performance vs. luxury. There wasn't a need for this in 2003.

Infiniti already has a 420 hp 5.6L engine installed in the M56. The engineering is already done on the engine...the rest of the powertrain shouldn't take a lot of additional investment.

I'm just asking Infiniti to give us G owners something so we don't have to choose between the brute performance of the Mustang, or the upscale amenities in the g series coupes.

Like they did in 2003.
Ok, so you're saying you can't compare "japanese "luxury" brands" to german makes but then you can compare american makes to japanese makes?? idk if you consider Ford any type of luxury brand, but i know i for sure don't.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:58 AM
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Even the V6 mustang is going to give a VQ35 coupe a run for it's money. 0-60 5.1 sec and a 13.7 1/4 time.
you done bashing your own car yet? go back to my350z and stay there.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:03 AM
You could be right about the IPL project. I'd forgotten about that model - probably because when I read about it a year or so back I dismissed it as not being a significant upgrade in performance (18 hp - for an extra $12k - seriously?).

I've enjoyed my G, and probably will for some time. I'm just disappointed that Infiniti hasn't upgraded the G enough to keep me from considering a Mustang when it comes time to replace my G.

I don't know if this really matters, but here is the list of cars I currently consider potential replacements for my G when the time comes:

Corvette Grand Sport, or Z06
Porsche Cayman S
BMW 6-series coupe
Ford Mustang 5.0

If I were to get in an accident today and total my G, one of the above would likely replace it. What's missing is anything from Infiniti. The G37 doesn't offer a big enough performance improvement, and the M56 is a four-door grocery-getter...

Build a G56 coupe though, at a competitive price ($38k-$47k), and the Mustang quickly disappears from the list - probably the Cayman S as well.

I'm encouraged that I'm not the only one who feels Infiniti is capable of doing better. Prior to 2003, I'd never thought of Infiniti as anything other than a rebadged Nissan with car models I'd never consider owning. The G35, when released, was a "shot across the bow" in the performance/luxury class that got a lot of people's attention. The G37...not so much.

Originally Posted by qwerty0092
Ok, so you're saying you can't compare "japanese "luxury" brands" to german makes but then you can compare american makes to japanese makes?? idk if you consider Ford any type of luxury brand, but i know i for sure don't.
Ford is definitely not a luxury brand...but the 2011 Mustang 5.0 is not priced anywhere near the G37 it supercedes in every performance metric. I don't really consider the G a luxury car either...which is why I wrote "luxury" in quotation marks. The G is kind of a "near-luxury".

I'm simply trying to express that Ford has really stepped up their game with the new Mustang 5.0, and I'd like to see Infiniti step up their game so I can add a new G to the list of cars I would seriously consider replacing my current G with. The "status factor" of any car is irrelevant to me, so the Mustang just needs to overcome build quality questions and the "redneck factor".

Originally Posted by nicbaines
you done bashing your own car yet? go back to my350z and stay there.
If no one ever asks "how can this be better?", nothing ever gets any better. I don't see how discussing the areas we'd like to see improved in our vehicles does any significant harm - unless we're trying to sell that same vehicle. Then, of course, it's the greatest car ever conceived by man.

Are you selling your car?

Old 02-05-2011, 10:09 AM
You could be right about the IPL project. I'd forgotten about that model - probably because when I read about it a year or so back I dismissed it as not being a significant upgrade in performance (18 hp - for an extra $12k - seriously?).
Only one more thing and I'm out of this discussion. A fully equiped G37 6MT will cost you $50,000. So, your not paying that much for the extra 18 horsepower and other IPL options.

For the person who mentioned the GT-R. I didn't mention it because the base price (no options) is over $84,000.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:38 AM
I agree with Irrelevant, Infiniti needs to step it up. The MSRP of a 2010 BMW M3...$59k.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
coming from a bmw 335...i have the option to get another one, or get a used G and save some money.

well i had to many problems with my 335, and honestly its not worth the 35K+ that i paid for that car. Thank the LEMON law, that gave me a full refund on the car.

At this point id rather pay cash to get the G, and save some money for dark days. Its also easier to maintain, i don't have to worry that my fuel pump is gonna die, and im gonna get stuck in the middle of nowhere. Thats just a couple.

Id rather have this car payed off cheaper insurance, etc. Many factors come in place. And it looks nice, sounds really good for a stock car, and i save over 20k+.

You decide, you be the judge, it all comes down to your personal needs.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions About G's