G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Fast approaching 100k - need some help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Fast approaching 100k - need some help.

Hey guys!

My 04 CB 6mt coupe is fast approaching 100k miles. I recently broke up with my long time gf, and now have alot more free time for the other special lady in my life . The one that doesn't leave unless I'm driving her.

I want to take care of my baby, and I was wondering what you guys thought I should use my time on. When it quits snowing I'm going to spend a day detailing her, but there is no point right now when the road salt dirties it up every week.

So, that said:

1. What maintenance issues (if any) should I address at 100k aside from oil, belts, tire pressure, etc etc.

2. Should I upgrade the sound system? I'm short on cash at the moment, but am definitely looking to put my audio system from my last car in the G at some point, but my understanding is that if I replace one part of the system (head unit, amps) I have to replace all because

3. There is curb rash from previous owners that has been bothering me since I bought the car, is there anything I can do to minimize it such as touch up paint or polish?

4. My passenger side corner is out - the dealer looked at it when i took it in for the airbag recall and said it wasn't the bulb or housing, but an electrical problem somewhere...are there any DIYs for tracing the wires from the corners? I tried searching but could not find.

5. My top glove box has the issue where the leather is coming up. What adhesive do you guys recommend I use for this fix? I've found the DIY @ http://forums.nicoclub.com/top-glove...l-t324205.html
I'm thinking of doing this today - though the 25 degree whether is making me think twice about it.

6. Any suggestions to improve the look of my car? I have a limited budget but alot of time, and I like a clean stock look with minor enhancements.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Fast approaching 100k - need some help.-img_0294.jpg   Fast approaching 100k - need some help.-front.jpg   Fast approaching 100k - need some help.-rear.jpg  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Curb rash is taken care of by a rim sanding/polishing. It's like $50 a rim or so, as I had the dealer do mine before I'd buy my car.

New floor mats will make the interior look nice, the leather is in good shape as well. The floor mats can't really be cleaned well enough, I'd pop for new ones.

The head unit is fine, I assume you have the 6 CD changer? I'd pop an amp in the trunk and replace the speakers. The head unit will only send the signal.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:58 AM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check at Home Depot or Lowes in the glue section. There are several products for gluing leather, fabric, vinyl, etc. I don't remember what I bought, I think it was made by Loctite or 'Super Glue' that worked quite well on a couple of places the leather was coming loose in my coupe. It's basically a 'rubber' cement. You'll need to rig something to hold the loose leather in place while the glue cures.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would recommend you flush and change all fluids, new mats, NEW PEDALS (this one makes such a big difference IMO), new shift ****, HID bulbs, etc

the ****/pedals/mats will make you so happy..brand new, unlike the car (my car was used too, and i loved replacing things and being the first and only one to touch these items)

Old 02-10-2011, 10:51 AM
i would recommend you flush and change all fluids, new mats, NEW PEDALS (this one makes such a big difference IMO), new shift ****, HID bulbs, etc

the ****/pedals/mats will make you so happy..brand new, unlike the car (my car was used too, and i loved replacing things and being the first and only one to touch these items)

Old 02-10-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Looking at your interior again, do you have the time and inclination to hide the wires for your nav and detector in the dash? I would clean the look up a lot. Then again, I'm a bit OCD on clutter.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
ok, throw the navi in the glove box... Spend $20 on a Mikes mount for that radar detector, and another $15 on an inviscord you its all nice a neat and hidden...

Take your car to a detail shop with the steam shampooer/extractor and get them to clean your floor mats. They will come 95% clean if they know what they are doing. Aftermarket mats fit like sheit and look even worse. Getting yours clean is much cheaper.

Fluids... Rear diff, tranny, brake fluid if you have the time, coolant, any and all fluid change....

Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
ok, throw the navi in the glove box... Spend $20 on a Mikes mount for that radar detector, and another $15 on an inviscord you its all nice a neat and hidden...

Take your car to a detail shop with the steam shampooer/extractor and get them to clean your floor mats. They will come 95% clean if they know what they are doing. Aftermarket mats fit like sheit and look even worse. Getting yours clean is much cheaper.

Fluids... Rear diff, tranny, brake fluid if you have the time, coolant, any and all fluid change....

Old 02-10-2011, 12:25 PM
100k =

belts
coolant flush - new fluids
tranny flush - new fluids
bleed brake system and add new fluid - while your there check pads and rotors.
differential - flush - new fluids
air filter
oil change
spark plugs.
cabin micro filter
replace sway bar bushings and end links . this helps trust me .

as for the corner llight , check your fuses and also check your bulb socket.

somtimes the socket clips end causing it to not make contact therefore not activating when it gets powered.

ch

Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I usually have the wires run so that they aren't in the way, but I pulled them out because I was working on the car and getting ready to clean it.

I ended up using black weatherstripping to fix the issue, and I'm pleased with the result. I only had two clamps so it was tough to get it as even as I wanted to.

It is the bose 6cd system, and I already have a 4 channel 550w rms infinity reference series - I just need speakers. I'm also considering putting in a sub, but don't want to have to dynamat the entire car. I hate rattles and I don't want it to sound like tish from the outside of the car.

I will check the fuses for the corner, would exterior lights be on the interior panel or the one in the engine bay?

I really like the idea of new pedals. Where would a good place to go for that be? I'll pick up new floor mats when I have the car detailed.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:03 PM
New pedals - ebay..type in infiniti aluminum pedals..6mt pedals should be about 90-110 for the set. really nice finish and fit.

i haven't pulled the trigger on them yet..

Old 02-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodrigo
100k =

belts
coolant flush - new fluids
tranny flush - new fluids
bleed brake system and add new fluid - while your there check pads and rotors.
differential - flush - new fluids
air filter
oil change
spark plugs.
cabin micro filter
replace sway bar bushings and end links . this helps trust me .

as for the corner llight , check your fuses and also check your bulb socket.

somtimes the socket clips end causing it to not make contact therefore not activating when it gets powered.

ch
That's basically everything you need to do.

Old 02-12-2011, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^+1 agreed.