G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Soon to be G owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Soon to be G owner with some questions

I'm fresh out of college with a job and living back at home (no rent means more $) so I'm looking to get a g35 soon. I have an 01 maxima right now that's starting to show its age but I love nissans/infinitis and VQ engines so a G is the obvious choice for a new car.

I've been looking online at some 03-05 g35 6MT coupes. I'd prefer to get an 05 due to the HP increase over the previous years but i'm worried about the oil consumption problem. Roughly, how often does this problem occur? How can I tell before I buy a G? Would it be a better idea to get an 03 or 04 and throw a couple mods on to get near the 300HP level like the 05? Thanks for any help.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
how about you get an g37? would that be an option so you don't have to worry about that?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Eh, I wish but my budget is around $16k. I don't think I'll be seeing any g37s in that price range for a while.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the only real way to tell if the car burns oil is by driving it a few thousand miles and checking the dipstick...

Old 02-15-2011, 09:45 PM
Would a preowned g35 with 60k-80k miles on it still be eligible for any kind of engine replacement through infiniti? I'm guessing no...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't care if you drive a Lambo, A Bentley, Porche, Viper, etc etc etc... Getting out of your parents home and into a place of your own should be your priority. I graduated in December of 2005 and drove a '95 Grand Prix up until this last May. In the mean time I bought a House, got married, and put together an impressive Home theater. Keep your priorities straight...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM
KCJ
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
I don't care if you drive a Lambo, A Bentley, Porche, Viper, etc etc etc... Getting out of your parents home and into a place of your own should be your priority. I graduated in December of 2005 and drove a '95 Grand Prix up until this last May. In the mean time I bought a House, got married, and put together an impressive Home theater. Keep your priorities straight...
woohoo a home theatre!

boy you sound like this guys father

Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 PM
My priorities are fine. My maxima needs to be sold while it still has some value in it. I'm living at home to save up for a few months (why wouldn't i take advantage of free rent and hanging around my family for a few more months?). I'm already planning to buy a condo by April. I'm making enough to afford car payments and to mortgage a place to live. Oh, and i have a pretty nice home theater system as well. Thanks for the concern though.

Now back on topic...

Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rdeverett
I'm fresh out of college with a job and living back at home (no rent means more $) so I'm looking to get a g35 soon. I have an 01 maxima right now that's starting to show its age but I love nissans/infinitis and VQ engines so a G is the obvious choice for a new car.

I've been looking online at some 03-05 g35 6MT coupes. I'd prefer to get an 05 due to the HP increase over the previous years but i'm worried about the oil consumption problem. Roughly, how often does this problem occur? How can I tell before I buy a G? Would it be a better idea to get an 03 or 04 and throw a couple mods on to get near the 300HP level like the 05? Thanks for any help.
Consider the change in interior, getting an 05 will definitely be worth it along with the stock HP. And if your worried about the oil consumption issue, try to find an 05 with an extended warranty.

The 06's have the upgraded headlights and different tailights as well as diffuser so keep that in mind if your willing to spend a little more or buy one with a little more miles on her

Old 02-16-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleHBK
lol yea OP shouldve omitted that. this has got to be the very few times ive actually seen someone share that info willingly lol

Old 02-16-2011, 04:40 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The 06 6MT has 298 HP which is more than the AT. However, the AT has 10 more torques....as they say on Top Gear.

I got mine with 75K miles on it. So far no evidence of oil consumption so either it is the original engine that does not have the OC problem or it is a replacement engine and therefore does not have the OC problem. I doubt an original engine with the OC problem would make it to 80k which is where mine is now.

After driving this car 6 months or so, it is my impression that it is not a dragster. With the 6MT, the clutch and gearing make launches difficult, busy, loud (not in a good way, it sounds like things are going to fly apart) and not all that fast. The car shines as you move up through the gear box into 3-5. Keeping the revs up above 4k make it move very well. It also shines in the corners. Very tight. Feels amazingly planted and reassuring.

Anyway, I'd go for an 06 6MT. Interior is cheap, but that's true of all first gen Gs.

As an old guy I'd also say first priority should be to get out of mom's house but OP seems to have that covered. The OP's only mistake was opening that can of worms to begin with. It really isn't any of our business.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the info N80. If I can find an 05 or 06 MT for the right price I'll be all over it. Some of your comments are somewhat steering me away from a MT. If you had the choice to get a MT again, would you?

Old 02-16-2011, 06:57 PM
N80
Definitely would go with MT again. I love manuals. I like driving my coupe _because_ it is a manual. The clutch of the MT is a bit finnicky and it takes a while to really get used to it but that is only with starting from a dead stop. Shifts while moving up through the gears are fine and once you get past second it is very smooth and quick shifting.

If the G35X came in a manual I'd have one instead of my AT.

The clutch on the MT is called a high release clutch. I'm not sure if this is supposed to be especially sporty or if Nissan just gave it a technical sounding name to make a finnicky clutch sound like it is something special. Anyway, don't let that steer you away from the 6MT since it also comes with more HP, nicer wheels, limited slip diff and sportier suspension.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks again for the info. Looks like I'll be sticking to the search for a 6MT. I hope the clutch doesn't take too long to get used to. I've never owned a MT but have driven several. A full day of driving should get any kinks out of my system.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
N80
The only bad thing about the MTs are that there are fewer of them so they are harder to find and usually cost a bit more.....especially if they have the 19" forged rims.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Soon to be G owner with some questions