G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

BURNING SMELL COMEING FROM THE ENGINE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 04:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BURNING SMELL COMEING FROM THE ENGINE

last light I went to stiletto's strip club and they have valet parking witch I hate. anyway we stayed about an hour or so. when I came out the valet guy when to get my car. when he pulled up the car all of a sudden started to smell real real bad. in side and out. I was thinking it was the out side swuer. so I drive away and the smell is not going away. So im thinking this guy must of taken my car for a joy ride...So I drop my friend off and look the car over I checked the tires to see if they smell and to feel the texture, but did't see any sign of either. So I go to the front of the car to my engine and stick my nose in it... man did it stink realy realy bad. the car drives fine and all. I don't get it. maybe it was a plastic bag? did you guys ever expireance any burning smells coming from the engine? what do you guys think?

Old 11-06-2004, 05:50 PM
Re: BURNING SMELL COMEING FROM THE ENGINE

I have 4800 miles I allready broke it in..I know what smell you are talking about. It was like that but 10 times as strong...

Old 11-06-2004, 06:22 PM

I honestly don't know if its the cluch, it seemed fine when I drove it home it was coming from the engine compartment. I poped the hood and it stunk. smelt like gas and oil burning..something like that. but really strong. I drove it home and most of it went away. don't know but im pissed off if some a$$hole was fu@king with my car....

Old 11-06-2004, 07:12 PM

from what your just described.. sounds like redline shifts dureing break in..

its a nasty carbon sulfer smell.. thats from the engine when its first new.. after a while, the smell goes away.. its something added to engine from the manf

Old 11-18-2004, 11:22 PM

my car has the exact same smell, just posted something on it too, a few friends of mine have 350z's and they told me the same thing so im starting to lean toward engine paint and oils they told me its just the motor breaking in cuz its basically get used to moving, bealive it or not i got my car one week ago today, so basically on thursday of last week, sat. night was driving and the tranny went crazy i pick up the car 2marrow its been their all week turns out the pressure plate collapsed and messed up the flywheel, clutch and the pressure plate the service people told me it was nissan's screw up wen the car was made, word of advice if you ever get your car towed to a dealer for service dont let them take it on a conventional tow truck, get it on a flat bed, the conventional tow truck screwed up the master cyl. on the hydro system of the clutch and the slave as well.
** remeber if you have an 03' coupe get it to the dealer to change out the syncro's on the tranny**

Old 11-19-2004, 09:21 AM

Sometimes, a relatively new car, although it has been broken in, can smell bad after hard driving. Ive experienced it months after buirning off the original oils and greases they cover the exterior components with. So IMO, the valet did a few hard runs with your car.

Old 11-19-2004, 10:42 AM

F&^%ing Bastards

Old 11-19-2004, 12:11 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

clutch...valet didn't know how to engage the clutch and probably spent a few minutes trying to figure out how to get into reverse and was roasting your clutch...I wouldn't worry, these clutches are pretty durable...

Wanna see mine?

Old 11-20-2004, 12:47 AM

it's body odor, just like on seinfeld when the valet stunk up his ride

Old 11-21-2004, 11:35 AM

Interesting post? I have 25K on the clock and yesterday after getting back from Costco, I notice a smell inside the cabin? I was like what the heck? This really smells more electrical to me, but the possibility of paint is possible too? I cannot put my finger on where it is coming from? I had a new tranny installed about 2 weeks ago, but I really dont think that is the culprit as the car has been driven about 1000 miles since that and I have hammered on it as well? I took the car out about two hours later after it had cooled and sure enough, it was back after a short really mellow drive? I am baffled?

Old 11-21-2004, 11:54 AM

you can smell it in side the cabin. but if you pop ur hood and stick your nose next to the air intake in the middle of the engine you can smell it really bad. don't know what it is. am baffled my self. btw hot pic of your car I got an ivory peral my self with black interor.....but you gor the rims I allways wanted. NICE......

Old 11-21-2004, 12:01 PM

YES, I can smell it when popping the hood and sniffing around the air intake! It is not the engine, it is not the tranny, I actually climbed under the car and smelled the rear dif and tranny? Do you think it smells electrical as well? Thanks for the props on my car! =)

Old 11-21-2004, 01:09 PM

I had a real strong burning smell in my car recently too.

While driving on the freeway, I remembered seeing some plastic trash go under my car and not come out the other side. When I pulled into my garage at home I could smell something burning. I looked under my car and sure enough the plastic had melted onto the catalytic converter! The smell is a strong, burning smell and it definitely can be smelled inside the car, particularly when stopped.

A couple of days after it happened, I left my car idling while I went in the house. When I came back I could actually see a little bit of smoke coming from under the car.

I tried to get as much of it off as possible but I can still smell it even weeks later...

04, TB/W, Nav, Aero, 6MT, etc...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BURNING SMELL COMEING FROM THE ENGINE