G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

ART pipes vs ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
Lets keep this on topic right? Springs seem to be the topic, nothing more nothing less. Also it'd seem to make more sense that coilovers which contain components made for each other would work better than a very generic strut setup with general springs. I doubt people from Tokico planned on having struts that specifically worked with Tein H springs.

My point (to make it clear) is that lowering springs by themselves (which is what was originally asked and appears to be the topic of discussion) are not as functional in terms of handling performance relative to OE sport suspension.

Edit: In regards to your response to the other guy about brakes and suspension. I completely agree with you, but the aftermarket spring selection for our cars are once again SOFTER or very progressive compared to the OE springs, so wouldn't that be counter productive considering the general rule of thumb is that a reasonable amount of stiffness is desired?
But the fact that you bring in coilovers and that price line would assume that you could afford struts to pair with your springs. There are quite a few threads on here discussing the performance of independent struts vs coilver pairings. I admit I was surprised when I first saw the arguments and research for independent struts but it is very compelling.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could have sworn this thread was originally about test pipes....and if you're going to spend the money lowering your car, either get coilovers or shocks AND lowering springs. Don't be a cheap *** ricer and just get a set of Eibachs......YOU DRIVE AN INFINITI NOT A HONDA!

Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Xet
Originally Posted by Kyle318
could have sworn this thread was originally about test pipes....and if you're going to spend the money lowering your car, either get coilovers or shocks AND lowering springs. Don't be a cheap *** ricer and just get a set of Eibachs......YOU DRIVE AN INFINITI NOT A HONDA!
lol... wow even getting worse. Why can't he buy springs and then get struts later? He will have to do a bit more work taking pretty much everything back out but so what?

Old 02-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
because stock struts suck **** thats why lol, he can do what he wants but its better to just go straight to the coilover system, at least IMO.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Wow, didn't realize I would create so much controversy.. Anyway I plan on getting hotchkis sways and endlink. I also have confirmed my agree idea of going with z stechs, thanks to FederalG!! And lastly I have to go with the Noob, Enboyx Id much rather do my cats now and do my suspension all at once(sways, drop, camber, endlinks).

Originally Posted by xdEnbOyx
So OP, unless you plan on auto-crossing, the benefits of HFC/TP are much higher than springs and camber and can be utilized much more. Personally I like to push it pedal to the metal off the line or getting on the freeway rather than taking a corner at the maximum speed my car can physically handle. If you don't plan on doing the latter or aren't concerned about the apparent 4x4 look some people claim everyone who doesn't have "dumped" cars have, get the ART pipes.

TL;DR: HFC/TP > Suspension for DD purposes IMO.
But thank you everybody for your input and continue discussion is ofcourse wlecome!

Old 02-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Xet
Originally Posted by walshtj
Wow, didn't realize I would create so much controversy.. Anyway I plan on getting hotchkis sways and endlink. I also have confirmed my agree idea of going with z stechs, thanks to FederalG!! And lastly I have to go with the Noob, Enboyx Id much rather do my cats now and do my suspension all at once(sways, drop, camber, endlinks).
I don't get it, you said you are going with sways and endlinks but then you would rather do art pipes and then later all suspension at once....

Also don't bother doing sways/endlinks with camber and drop unless you are paying someone to do it all at once for cheaper. It makes no difference to performance to do them separately.
because stock struts suck **** thats why lol, he can do what he wants but its better to just go straight to the coilover system, at least IMO.
so because stock struts suck you can't change springs and then struts later? congratulations that makes no sense.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:31 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
I don't get it, you said you are going with sways and endlinks but then you would rather do art pipes and then later all suspension at once....

Also don't bother doing sways/endlinks with camber and drop unless you are paying someone to do it all at once for cheaper. It makes no difference to performance to do them separately.

so because stock struts suck you can't change springs and then struts later? congratulations that makes no sense.
really it makes no difference? changing out the struts to an upgraded strut with improved dampening or dampening control, makes ALOT of difference.

if your going to change the springs you might as well do the struts too, why wait and do it seperatly? You will end up taking up more time and money doing that, but if thats what you want to do then so be it. lol

Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 AM
Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Th3R3dStar323
really it makes no difference? changing out the struts to an upgraded strut with improved dampening or dampening control, makes ALOT of difference.

if your going to change the springs you might as well do the struts too, why wait and do it seperatly? You will end up taking up more time and money doing that, but if thats what you want to do then so be it. lol
I installed my springs first, and am actually in the process of buying some Tokicos. I did them seperately because I've been waiting for the right deal on the shocks. Brand new, the price is ridiculous. I've saved myself hundreds by waiting, thats sometimes why people decide to do them seperately. Hell if money wasn't a issue I would just get coils.. But unfortunately it is. But I refuse to install low quality parts on my car, so I am simply forced to wait around until the right sale comes along.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by Footballmania32
I installed my springs first, and am actually in the process of buying some Tokicos. I did them seperately because I've been waiting for the right deal on the shocks. Brand new, the price is ridiculous. I've saved myself hundreds by waiting, thats sometimes why people decide to do them seperately. Hell if money wasn't a issue I would just get coils.. But unfortunately it is. But I refuse to install low quality parts on my car, so I am simply forced to wait around until the right sale comes along.
well i guess if you dont mind waiting for that perfect deal then its all good lol

Old 02-25-2011, 10:47 AM
Xet
Originally Posted by Th3R3dStar323

Holy crap are you freaking kidding me? It won't make a difference in the end if he does a few pieces separately. Yes he will have to jack up the car again, take off the wheels, and unbolt the strut and take off the old spring in the fronts but that takes what maybe 2 hours max?

Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Doesn't matter if he does springs then struts or both at the same time. In the end it'll yield the same results.

Personally, if you can afford a full setup, I'd just recommend just saving up a bit more and going for coilovers. Also, in my opinion at least, unless you plan on auto-x'ing a lot, going on mountain runs, tracking etc. a lot, then suspension definitely is a must before any power mods, but most of us (assuming) don't do that often enough. OE sport suspension is plenty to accommodate the spirited run every now.

I spend more time in the power band than I do pushing my car through peak G's.