G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

idle/throttle issues AFTER re-learn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
idle/throttle issues AFTER re-learn

I cleaned my MAF and TB yesterday hoping to solve an issue I had with the engine dying after clutch in on the highway. Now I have an issue with idle and throttle control.

I have tried to re-learn numerous times, and each time appears to work initially, the CEL blinks, and goes steady just like the instructions say, and I can start the car and it will idle at 650, and drop back to 650 after revs all day long as long as you dont drive it. As soon as you get to the end of the driveway, the rpms wont drop below 1000. If you are on the highway and clutch in the rpms drop to 500-650 but instantly jump up to about 2000, then level off around 1000-1200.

I also have an issue with the throttle. Its responsive when GIVING it gas, but when you let off the gas its like it has a second delay before the ECU actually cuts the throttle. Makes for low speed low gear driving rather difficult and jumpy because there is NO light throttle control, its either on or off. I've done some digging and found a thread saying this is normal, it is not. I know my car, and I know how it drove before cleaning the MAF and TB, and it did not do this before. When something changes with the way my car acts and runs I notice it.

I'm at a loss. I've checked all around the TB for anything that may have gotten unplugged or loose, nothing. I'm trying to avoid bringing it to Nissan, because all they will do is a re-learn and tell me its normal the way it is running.

Link to the thread with my MAF and TB issue: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...gine-dies.html

Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Sorry if this is a silly question: Did you reset the ECU first, before calibrating the MAF and TB?

Old 03-25-2011, 03:22 PM
yes I did. I tried the easy reset and I also disconnected the battery for a while yesterday while reading up on things.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:27 PM
Check Filter, filter box, intake tube, and TB for dirt or damage. Make sure MAF is dry and happy. Same with TB. 93 octane gas. reset ECU then reset TB and idle. Drive 25 miles or so for ECU relearn to finish, then reset TB and Idle again.

Sorry, you're out of my league if that doesn't fix it.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by Unfit to Practice
Did you unplug the TB and the battery before cleaning the TB? You are not supposed to touch the throttle plate without unplugging everything first. It can damage the part.
I did not, but I had read not to in the DIY. https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...le-bodies.html
I also read in a couple places people saying they have not disconnected the plug and everything was fine after.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Did mine about four months ago and it idled high at first but evently corrected itself. I left the TB plugged in and just used a screwdriver to hold the butterfly open enough to fit a finger in.

Hoping your TB didnt get damage and is messed up. You can pm sean aka SxExCx and ask him he has done the procedure numerous times and may be able to shed some light.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:52 PM
OoO OO!

Look what I found!

Make sure you run through the throttle position re-learning procedure (or idle postion re-learn, can't remember the name). You'll probably notice it right away, but don't be surprised if your car acts a little strange for a few days when idling. It takes that long to be totally reset. After that it's fine.
from page 5 of the DIY you used. https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-bodies-5.html

I think this behavior is normal and it will iron itself out after a few days.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:08 PM
Originally Posted by anynigma
OoO OO!

Look what I found!

from page 5 of the DIY you used. https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...-bodies-5.html

I think this behavior is normal and it will iron itself out after a few days.
I'll give it some time, but if nothing changes by monday I will bring it in. I need to go to Minneapolis tomorrow which is about 2.5hrs drive and dont wanna run into issues if something is wrong though.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM
I think I got it. I said screw it and picked up a used TB for $60. Cleaned it, put it in, and went through the re-learn procedure. It came down to the correct idle right away just like before, but when I went for a drive it was a lot smoother and didnt idle up so high all the time. it would idle up a little bit when you clutched in, but it was down to 650 by the time you came to a stop. It still has a slight pause before it kills the throttle when you let off the gas, but it's a lot smoother now and I can blip the throttle without having to wait for it.We will see how it is by Monday.

So, lesson learned, dont move the butterfly by hand when it is still plugged in. Some guys may get lucky and not affect anything, but not me.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
My mechanic does a re-learn but also repositions the throttle body sensor and it is totally fine.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 AM
well I thought I had it fixed with using a different throttle body. Ran good with minimal issues for about 10 miles. The throttle was smooth, and the idle would slowly but surely drop to 650, but now after about 20 miles its doing the same as above, but now has a sluggish feel to the throttle when trying to maintain a steady speed through town. Its here and there, but you can definitely notice it when it happens.

I'm getting rather frustrated.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey you ever got this fixed...??

Old 09-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by ajigga
Hey you ever got this fixed...??
Sorry for the late response. I'm in Kuwait and dont get on here enough.

The idle issue was fixed after bringing it to the dealer and they did a wipe and re-learn. They did say it took a few tries before the ECU would accept the re-learn.

I still have problems with it dieing after a hard full throttle pull, or long periods of consistant engine speeds, but its not as often as before.

I havent drivin it since May due to being overseas, so any problems I was having arent real fresh in my mind.