G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

springs etc..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
springs etc..

I have a 2004 coupe AT with the premium and aero package. I have 90k miles on it. I just found out that the previous owner had cut the dam springs so now I'm going to buy some s tech springs from a 350z. My question is, should I go ahead and purchase aftermarket camber kit with this? also, is it a wise decision to purchase new struts as well? The ride is actually not that bad with the springs being cut but it is a little too low for my taste. Thanks for your opinions..

Old 04-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
It is recommended to at least get a rear camber kit when lowering the car, if not both front and rear. They'll save you from premature tire wear.

If you have the extra cash to, I'd get a set of some tokico struts while you're messing with the suspension and just install everything at the same time. You've got quite a few miles on the car.

Personally, I'd get a set of coilovers, front/rear camber kits, and be done with it.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the help! Coilovers are a little out of my price range for now.. I'll probably do either the s tech springs or eibach(sp?) sport springs. Any suggestion on proper cambers for these? I'm guessing the struts could be oem? Thanks

Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Most recommend SPC rear/SPL front kits, I've got SPC all around myself. Theyre on the pricey side though. Ichiba camber kits are a good, cheaper alternatives.

You could replace your struts with OEM one's, but if your gonna go through the trouble of changing them out, why not save a little more and get the tokico's?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Ok then that's what I will do. Thank you for your help!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 PM
No problem.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Solid advice ^

On a side note, you can get a decent set of coilovers for a little more than you will be spending on the shocks/springs.

I found out after 3 sets of springs, but im picky and want my ride height the same side to side.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM
3 sets of springs? I was under the impression they last for quite a while. The difference in price on coilovers vs springs is vastly different. If I'm wrong, show me where I can purchase some cheap ones and I'll pick them up! Wouldn't I still need the camber/struts etc with them? Sorry that last question might be retarded lol

Old 04-06-2011, 08:14 PM
You would still need camber kits, but coilovers already include the springs and struts.

I know mrwong@Statik sells Megan coilovers for $780 new.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do coilovers! i did an eibach pro kit without struts and then my struts started leaking... i then picked up a set of megan coils... much better!

Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by MADtotheA
3 sets of springs? I was under the impression they last for quite a while. The difference in price on coilovers vs springs is vastly different. If I'm wrong, show me where I can purchase some cheap ones and I'll pick them up! Wouldn't I still need the camber/struts etc with them? Sorry that last question might be retarded lol
Sorry for not clarifying.
In my quest for the ideal ride height and feel I have tried 3 different spring set-ups, they didnt wear out. I am particular about how my car looks so the static springs that I have tried, dont suit me. With any and every car you will have variations in ride height from one side to the other. When you are measuring fractions of an inch (MM for the Canada folks and the rest of the globe ) a 1/4 difference (driver vs passenger side) is very noticeable.

It was already answered, but yes the coil-over set-up will include the springs and shocks/struts, so you should compare the cost of the coil-overs vs the cost of buying springs and shocks/struts.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
Sorry for not clarifying.
In my quest for the ideal ride height and feel I have tried 3 different spring set-ups, they didnt wear out. I am particular about how my car looks so the static springs that I have tried, dont suit me. With any and every car you will have variations in ride height from one side to the other. When you are measuring fractions of an inch (MM for the Canada folks and the rest of the globe ) a 1/4 difference (driver vs passenger side) is very noticeable.

It was already answered, but yes the coil-over set-up will include the springs and shocks/struts, so you should compare the cost of the coil-overs vs the cost of buying springs and shocks/struts.
That is a very good point. After buying the springs and struts, it would probably cost around $500 and the coilovers are only $730. Hmmm I think I'll go with the Megan coilovers. The camber kit is the only thing left but I think I'll go with the ones mentioned previously. Oh, what about the toe thing everyone is talking about? Sorry I'm dumb. Just want to be sure those are the only things I will be needing. Thanks

Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by MADtotheA
That is a very good point. After buying the springs and struts, it would probably cost around $500 and the coilovers are only $730. Hmmm I think I'll go with the Megan coilovers. The camber kit is the only thing left but I think I'll go with the ones mentioned previously. Oh, what about the toe thing everyone is talking about? Sorry I'm dumb. Just want to be sure those are the only things I will be needing. Thanks
From what I understand TOE being out of spec is the biggest killer of tires. Camber will wear the inner tire, but toe out of spec will tear up the tires.
Camber chews up tires because most of the weight is on the inner tire thus more friction. Toe chews em up because you are essentually dragging the tire as you drive. In a perfect world you would have zero camber/caster, and zero toe in or out in all conditions.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
From what I understand TOE being out of spec is the biggest killer of tires. Camber will wear the inner tire, but toe out of spec will tear up the tires.
Camber chews up tires because most of the weight is on the inner tire thus more friction. Toe chews em up because you are essentually dragging the tire as you drive. In a perfect world you would have zero camber/caster, and zero toe in or out in all conditions.
Ok so I need to tell the people installing my coilovers/camber to check the toe? Or is this something obvious that all people would check? Do I need to purchase something for this? Thanks

Old 04-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
My man, you need to do some searching. I'm by no means an expert, but you don't want to spend $1000 on your suspension only to ruin tires in 1 year or less and need a new $1000 set of tires!

Check the suspension section for the complete setups 35driver members get for their rides and/or do a little google search on what all goes into getting the camber, caster, and toe set up correctly on an aftermarket suspension:

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Best of Luck.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: springs etc..