G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

06 Coupe 6MT - Looking for advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
06 Coupe 6MT - Looking for advice

I've been a long time lurker and an even longer lover of the G series. I currently drive a 1995 G20 that I've had for 10 years. It's time for me to finally stop wishing and dreaming and bite the bullet and make the dream become a reality. I found a great specimen that is a couple hour drive away from my house.

I'm going to look at a car this weekend. I want to be prepared to check everything in person before I hand over the cash. Here's the details:

06 Coupe 6MT 37k Fully loaded
It's considered to be in KBB 'excellent condition'
An older guy (60+) currently owns the car (hes the second owner first owner was a 1 year lease)
Carfax is clean and everything lines up with information from the guy/carfax report

$18.5k

What should I be paying close attention to with this model year/mileage/package.

Any advice is appreciated.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Research the stickied threads in this section. (Oil Consumption, valve cover leak)

This thread contains TSB's, some of these issue's don't apply to the 06+.
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...s-77-tsbs.html

Your trunk is too cluttered.

Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Research the stickied threads in this section. (Oil Consumption, valve cover leak)

This thread contains TSB's, some of these issue's don't apply to the 06+.
https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...s-77-tsbs.html

Your trunk is too cluttered.
Thanks, I read that. Was really looking to start a discussion with more details and suggestions.

I will be removing the A and the dealership advertisement promptly upon purchase. I'm still debating if I want to debadge the rest. May just leave the Infiniti symbol and remove the rest.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks like a good deal...

Old 04-14-2011, 11:24 AM
I would have bought that had I found it before I found mine... oh well I only spent 11k.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally Posted by wtfjim
I would have bought that had I found it before I found mine... oh well I only spent 11k.
Specs? Mileage? etc.?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by KnowScott
Specs? Mileage? etc.?
03 mt6 optioned 100percent out (window sticker of 51k), 120kmiles(61k on engine replaced by infiniti). one major problem I have found on it is a bad cd player on the bose audio system. I had a dislike for the exhaust that was put on it, but it was a quallity system. I still don't like the "cold air" intake system that was installed on it, but it's there. There is a place on the hood where the clearcoat started coming up but I'm getting it fixed for 350 dollars and getting a couple other things fixed the same time on the body. nothing major wrong with the body either though.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Wish I would've seen that, would've pushed my budget for that one. I paid $16.5 for an 06 6MT fully loaded (nav, etc) with 75k miles. It is in excellent condition though, despite the miles.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM
I was patient when searching, did not let emotion get involved when making the decision to pull the trigger and was 100% ready to walk away from my final offer. Even for a difference of $500.

Also since I was searching heavily everyday, this particular car was recently posted and I inquired the day it was posted. Plus, I'm paying cash straight up. Money talks.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you buying from the owner directly or is it through a broker/dealership?

Old 04-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Private owner. Also the car is 200 miles away.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Other than the oil consumption issue, which I have yet to find out what % of 6mt drivers exp...
I would look/listen for:
1. axle click - you can hear it when cruising from 1-20mph w/ the windows down. Esp when turning. It is easier to hear in parking lots where the sound is trapped.
2. clutch stick/click - the clutch can stick slightly and at the same time u can hear a slight clicking noise, meaning it doesn't stay on the floor but pops up right after you let your foot off of it. Just a slight delay.
3. You can get some wind noise/rattle from the drivers side window when fully closed.

That being said I was the original owner of my 06' 6mt and still love it to this day.
After getting item 1&2 fixed under warranty I still have the slight window rattle and
have never exp the OC issue. I'm glad I have the car I have, especially after modding.
You going to be modding it at all? I've seen some SICK dropped IP coupes with a white/black color theme.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Private owner. Also the car is 200 miles away.
Plus, I'm paying cash straight up. Money talks.
I love when people talk about paying cash to a private seller..

Still frustrated from selling my last car. People over email: I'll offer you $xx,xxxx **CASH**

Ohh wtf else were you going to do, swipe you CC down my a$$? Finance the purchse through the bank of 93srvman!? lol

Anyways... Being it's private it would be a good idea to bring it into a mechanic to get it up on a hoist and haver her checked throughly.. I always like doing a compression test as well.

You MAY still have powertrain warranty on it depending on when it was registered but good to know about the valve cover leak ahead of time, which can be used as a bargaining tool.

The OC issue is impossible to tell without going on a 1000 mile test drive. All the owner simply has to say is "nope it doesn't drink oil". Therefore, make sure you have warranty on it still..

Good luck and great colour choice!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM
I have a few things on the mind:

spacer
mrev2
upgrade audio system (jdm double din), components, subs

possibly some sort of HFC

Old 04-14-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by 93srvman
I love when people talk about paying cash to a private seller..

Still frustrated from selling my last car. People over email: I'll offer you $xx,xxxx **CASH**

Ohh wtf else were you going to do, swipe you CC down my a$$? Finance the purchse through the bank of 93srvman!? lol

Anyways... Being it's private it would be a good idea to bring it into a mechanic to get it up on a hoist and haver her checked throughly.. I always like doing a compression test as well.

You MAY still have powertrain warranty on it depending on when it was registered but good to know about the valve cover leak ahead of time, which can be used as a bargaining tool.

The OC issue is impossible to tell without going on a 1000 mile test drive. All the owner simply has to say is "nope it doesn't drink oil". Therefore, make sure you have warranty on it still..

Good luck and great colour choice!
What I think people mean is they don't need to involve a bank for a loan which sometimes requires hoops if you're dealing with someone that shouldn't be buying the car.

The car is still under the power train warranty until July 21, 2012

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 06 Coupe 6MT - Looking for advice