G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

VDC actin crazy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
VDC actin crazy?

So I'm cruising along the highway and all of a sudden the vdc kicks in and I get 5-6 quick pulses from the brakes, and no wasn't doing anything crazy straight smooth road going about 60. Next thing I know I look at the gauges and everything is dead except for the gas and odometer and the slip and vdc lights are on. So I pull over and get my code reader out of the trunk hook it up and PASS no codes wth??? I fired it back up and same deal no tach, temp or speedo, so I plug the code reader back in and erase the codes to reset the ecu, fire it up again and bam everything's back to normal. So I did a quick inspection of the brakes, brake fluid, tires etc and everything looks normal. The only odd thing was I heard the fan kick on and it sounded a little different but I could just be paranoid, but once I erased the codes I didn't hear it come back on so now I'm stumped.

We've gotten quite a bit of rain lately but today was dry, I'm thinking maybe some water got up in the vehicle speed sensor but I'm not sure of the likelihood of that without getting a vss code. So I get back to work and let it sit for 4-5 hours then on the ride home I have no issues, so I rechecked for codes and still nothing, check the IM monitors and as expected everything is not ready so I know the ecu is still relearning or whatever. I did some searching and didn't find any similar issues so I'm stumped, any ideas on what could cause random vdc engagement????

I'm leaning towards having a vss issue that I'll check out but after an hour pouring over the fsm there's nothing on replacing the sensors just a bunch of troubleshooting crap with the consult. I know they're up on the diff somewhere but not sure where so any help would be great.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds dangerous, good luck finding the issue. Hope you share when you do so we have a clue when it happens to us!

Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 AM
Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
So I think I found the issue, my alignment was all effed up and way out of spec. I had + camber in the left rear and almost 1* of toe front toe wasn't as bad but still .5. I don't know how it fell so far out of spec as I had it aligned in Feb right after I put my coilovers on, I'm guessing the coilovers settled significantly or the shop gave me a bogus printout. Well anyway everything seems to be in order now and back in spec except for the front camber, I took it for a long ride with no issues so hopefully it was just the bad alignment causing the vdc issues.