G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Suspension Noob Needs Major Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Noob Needs Major Help!

I just purchased some VOLK GT-S 19x8.5 +36 19x9.5 +37 and needed some major help.

Background: Since I am new to the suspension world, I do not know much of these jargons, such as camber, spacers, etc. I have the slightest understanding of it and am in the process of learning. In this case, I would much appreciate in anyone who wants to teach this young grasshopper the way to have a nice set up!

Goal: Ideally, I wanted the wheels to be pretty much parallel to the wheel fender. I just do not want the wheels to be sunken in too much. Since I heard +20 offsets are kind of the most ideal setup where you do not have to do too much, using spacers and such, I think that with my offsets, I'll have to do a bit of work.

Springs vs. Coilovers: Browsing these site, which really helps btw, I have decided on BC Coilovers. So in a sense, please keep a reminder that I will be using these in the set up. I am all ears to other suggestions, so please let me know before I move forward.

After the setup, I will definitely post the pics of the end results!

If I am missing anything, let me know

Old 05-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
I don't know much about the best parts, but do know if you want your wheels "parallel' as in perpendicular to the ground, your will want front and rear camber kits, unless you are talking about that hot-mess-hella-flush look.

But seriously, you should invest the camber kits, and a rear toe kit. Additionally, you will get what you pay for with these items, so be careful of what you get. There's several threads about failed aftermarket parts for suspensions failing in this board and the Z33 forums.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Yo bro,

I just finished lowering my car about 2 inches and it was extremely simple with the right tools of course. With two of my very good friends it took about 3 hours Just replacing the springs. The camber kit would be the next best thing beacouse your tires will lean ever so slighty depending on your drop rate. Regardless the car looks very sexy and its a simple but great mod to your car. But after putting on your springs or coilovers torqe every screw that you touch to the exact foot pounds. If not you wiill need alignment. Good luck!

Old 05-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If u want ur wheels to sit parallel (flush) with ur fenders u will need wheel adapters (non conversion ones) since u r running pretty high offsetset wheels... my wheels have a high offsets too and I bought wheel adapters (aka spacers) from a member on here who makes them. His name is Kday and he sells them in the markertplace for a really great price. There really high quality too, just tell him Keggr626 recomended him to u

As for a camber kit u will need one if u plan on lowering ur ride: reason being is have u ever seen cars that r really low and the tires are butterflied, well a camber kit basically fixes that and brings the wheels back into factory specs. U can always roll without one but ur tires will wear out prematurely and unevenly (feathered) so I would recomend it

Old 05-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome.

Since you are going to be running coilovers I would recomend that you set your ride height first (since you already bought the wheels).
Then decide on the camber kit. Depending on what look you are after you may or may not want/need one. I would recommend that at least get a rear camber kit w/Toe bolt so you can get that dialed in.
Once that is worked out you can measure the space between your wheels and your fender to determin what size of spacer you need and what further work(fender rolled etc) will be required to get the desired look you are after.

Spacers look like this
http://www.jcwhitney.com/wheel-space.../p2030215.jcwx
And they go between your wheel hub and your wheel to push it out so they dont look sunk in.

Here is a link to help you inderstand Camber/Caster/Toe
http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the great responses guys! Much appreciated. I had another fellow friend who told me that I should just get some Eibach springs w/ rear camber kit in order to call it a day. Should I? What are the plus and minuses of going with this route? One, would obviously be a much cheaper set up.

Moreover, should I get front and rear camber kits all at once, or go with just the rear camber kit first? Anywho, I appreciate for all the great comments.

If any of you guys are experts in the wheel spacers field, what size of a wheel spacer would I need for a +36/+37 offset pair of wheels?

Last but not least, I was thinking about purchasing everything (wheel spacers, coilovers, camber kits) all at once, because I am afraid of the costs being too high, if I add each one of these parts in separately. Should I just go ahead and do everything at once?

Final, Final question, the front tires of the rims are wearing a bit on the inside edges, since he had springs himself. He suggested that I should probably change the tires. Now if I go ahead and use a camber kit/toe kit to readjust everything, then I should not worry about this and I can keep on using the old tire, correct? This is because the inner edges of the tires are worn out, however, majority of the tire still has great tread.

I appreciate how all you guys are filling me in on this project, as I would've been clueless.

Big thanks to G35Driver community

Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by MAXAM
I appreciate how all you guys are filling me in on this project, as I would've been clueless.
All the questions in this thread are giving me a headache! Spring w/b much cheaper than coilovers but you'll lose the ability to go any lower. Any time you lower your G camber adjuster are required front/rear so you don't eat tires. If the inside edges are worn out replace the tires, don't even consider keeping them. Your life may depend on what's between you and the road!
Gary

Old 05-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Thanks Gary! Keep that in mind. Think I'll just go ahead with the BC Coilovers. I always hear this nasty noise coming from either my springs or shocks whenever I go over speed bumps, so I am guessing that coilovers should fix whatever that is going on~

With +36/+37 offsets, will my wheels be way sunken in? Hope not~

Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts
^ Those offsets will have your wheels sunken in like a ****** fker
+12 is probably what you wanting to have the wheel flush with the fender.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by AOAN McLeod USN
Yo bro,

I just finished lowering my car about 2 inches and it was extremely simple with the right tools of course. With two of my very good friends it took about 3 hours Just replacing the springs. The camber kit would be the next best thing beacouse your tires will lean ever so slighty depending on your drop rate. Regardless the car looks very sexy and its a simple but great mod to your car. But after putting on your springs or coilovers torqe every screw that you touch to the exact foot pounds. If not you wiill need alignment. Good luck!
FSM Torque specs should ALWAYS be adhered to, unless the manufacturer suggests otherwise, but...

An alignment is needed after every time you do suspension work (as a general rule). There are exceptions, but anything that would change the geometry of your suspension will require an alignment. Using a torque wrench won't keep your alignment in check.

For Gs and Zs, these things will change your alignment: bushing replacement, any type of camber/toe/caster kit, balljoints, anything changing ride height and/or steering components.

These cars are especially sensitive with respect to the front end alignment. I recommend getting an alignment twice a year or every 6-8k miles.