G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

LS Engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS Engine

So I blew my motor last weekend....

I was doing some digging to put in a new VQ and potentially some other upgrades....

When.... a friend of mine threw out the wild idea to drop in an Rb26dett....

Which came up on another forum, that a member suggested to do an LS engine swap....

At first I thought it was a joke.... but did some reading and the idea is intriguing. While I haven't decided on what to do yet... few questions for anyone who has some ideas around this

1. What is the best LS engine to fit in an '04 Coupe 6mt? Think "bang for the buck" also size is important. Smaller the better, just so it's easier to work with in an already cramped engine bay. I don't necessarily need an 800 hp car.

2. Did some research, and it looks like I can use the stock tranny with a new drive shaft... true?

3. I saw the 350z and kit that hinsonmotorsports sells, but 1k for an oil pan seems excessive for an LSX engine.... other thoughts?
4. Mounting hardware

5. Comments on how difficult it is to get working

6. Other parts that would need to be swapped out? ECU, starter, fuel lines etc? Suggestion on engine mounts?

It's a bit crazy but I think it's doable. I've been working on cars for years, but I'll be honest this will be my first motor swap. I do have several mechanic buddies though that wil lbe willing to help me who are experienced doing this kind of thing, but I really want to learn for myself.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
VK56DE

than add a supercharger or TT

Last edited by citymunky; 05-12-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Old 05-12-2011, 07:17 PM
big c - the link didn't work for me. city munky.... i've heard of the vk56 but i think i want to try out the ls.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
i went to Big C's link and it looks very doable. apparently they have a kit specifically for any LS series to go into the 350z/G35. No welding required. If you take that route it might be easier because you get a kit, otherwise that vk56 is sick

Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronjon17
1. What is the best LS engine to fit in an '04 Coupe 6mt? Think "bang for the buck" also size is important. Smaller the better, just so it's easier to work with in an already cramped engine bay. I don't necessarily need an 800 hp car.

2. Did some research, and it looks like I can use the stock tranny with a new drive shaft... true?

3. I saw the 350z and kit that hinsonmotorsports sells, but 1k for an oil pan seems excessive for an LSX engine.... other thoughts?
4. Mounting hardware

5. Comments on how difficult it is to get working

6. Other parts that would need to be swapped out? ECU, starter, fuel lines etc? Suggestion on engine mounts?
I'm pretty sure all LSx motors are virtually the same size, neglecting accessories/oil pan/intake depending on the donor car. If you get a 4.7, 5.3, 5.7 or 6.0 (even the 7.0), they all have the same block.

Stock tranny? Doubt it unless you use an adapter for the bell housing. I may very well be wrong on this one.

Parts get expensive for such custom applications. If you don't want to pay 1G then look for a used one (yeah ) or make your own.

There is someone on the board doing (did?) this swap. It's mid build last i heard, and he is getting to the wiring. This is what has always kept me from swapping an LSx powerplant into about a dozen cars

Good luck, and do your research for sure. There are plenty of cars (Zs and Gs) that have had this done.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
G35 Coupe
Old 05-12-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS engines tend to be smaller dimensionally then a lot of the overhead cam engines, just not as efficient in terms of hp per liter. I doubt the stock g35 tranny can withstand the tq of a ls engine. I have a 03 manual and its the worst manual i ever driven.

Your probably better off with a 2jz swap. The engine is cheap, lot of parts and the stock block can take 400-500whp. The only bad thing is that the iron block will make your front heavier but if your going to drag race. THen it doesn't matter.

Old 05-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by jutn35

Pure sex

Old 05-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 05-13-2011, 12:33 AM
Wings Nation

Received 626 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronjon17
big c - the link didn't work for me. city munky.... i've heard of the vk56 but i think i want to try out the ls.
works for me

Old 05-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
lsx blocks are almost identical. the cheapest one to get is the smaller truck motor, swap out for an lsx intake mani and some ls7 heads and a 427 bottom end and youve got 600hp easy but the block is a bit heavy. but thats the problem it weighs a bit more but makes tons of power... and its really cheap. still way cheaper than a stock vq motor. also just get a stand alone ecu. easy to wire and runs everything

Old 05-13-2011, 01:48 AM
Got the threads to work, thanks for the feedback guys and lots of great info.

1. Any suggestions on the ECU? I'm assuming the factory Nissan one cannot be integrated? Also noticed in the thread bigc posted, looks like they never were able to get the Tach working with factory gauges. Anyone know if this is doable?

2. If they are all the same in terms of sizing, I will probably settle for the cheapest. I'm not really looking to spend a whole lot of money. Just moved last month and I live/work in the city so don't even drive anymore. However now that it's not a daily driver, I would like to get some high HP numbers out of it.

3. Any more info on whether the stock tranny can be used? If I have to swap out the tranny and pay a few more k, then that may deter me from doing this build. I don't need to lie, a 15k build is out of the question.

Last edited by Ronjon17; 05-13-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I were you I would put an LS1 block in with truck heads. My buddy did this on his GTO and he's running 600hp with a cam.

I would definitely put a T56 in (stock LS tranny), its worth the money to know that it was made to withstand the HP and Torque the LS motors put out.

Just make sure you do some research before you buy something. I know the LS2 has a Drive-By-Wire system for the TB so you would have to get the sensor for the gas pedal and actuators and everything.

Good luck!

Old 05-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Trying to save $$$!!!!

Lol, no as much as high horsepower numbers are nice, this car is still my primary vehicle. It will be rarely driven tho as I live/work in the city, but I do go on the occassional road trip. The way I look at it is this:

Replacing VQ - same care
Replacing VQ w/FI - $$$$$$
Replacing w/ LS - Reasonable and getting high hp and something unique. However if I have to change the tranny and mutliple other parts, I'll have to do the VQ. Stock LS1 or LS2 from what I am reading should net me around 400 hp, and can use my existing Tranny w/ JWT clutch and Flywheel. If I am wrong, then might as well delete this thread because I'm not going to spend a bunch of money on an older car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: LS Engine