G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

1700 miles and a few problems..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1700 miles and a few problems..

Ok so I know I'm still in the "break-in period" however, there are a few issues that I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing.

I've done a search for most of the problems but have not seen any clear-cut answers.

Anyhow here is my list, any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated. BTW aside from the few problems I LOVE this car!!

1) The 1-2 shift seems very very notchy, sometimes to the point where I think it's grinding (clunking noise). All the other gears seem ok although a little rough. Just mainly the 1-2 shift is really bad.

2) Don't know if this is a problem or not but I find it very annoying that anytime the windshield defroster comes on the a/c is automatically engaged even when it's freezing out. Also, is it normal that I cant put the "air recirculation" button in the on position without the A/C being on?? I found that very strange. Is that just the way it works?

3) Obvious rattles like everyone else. Main ones being the stereo when I have any bassy type music on the entire car seems to shake (especially in the rear...possibly the speaker grills?) Also, the passenger side seat back lever looks bent a bit towards the seat and rattles like crazy when going over ANY bumps.

4) Wind noise: I have this high pitch whistling noise (so bad that even keeping my stereo above 20 does not drown out the sound) coming from the driver side upper left corner of my side window. More evident at highway speeds. One note as well, I went to a touchless carwash and I was getting drops of water coming into the interior from that exact location on both sides of the windows, driver and passenger sides.

5) Poor gas mileage even when driving conservatively (I know this has been covered many times but it's just very annoying to have to fill up so often).

If anybody has any fixes or similar problems please let me know. I've had the car into the dealer and gave them this list. What did I get back? Everything on my bill beside the problem just said "test drive found nothing". So needless to say it was very annoying.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

OLD: 2003 Toyota Celica TRD GT-S
NEW: 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT

Old 11-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 1700 miles and a few problems..

car seems fine! : )

Old 11-21-2004, 01:10 PM

I haven't had any of the other problems with my coupe ('04, 4200 miles) but I definitiely have the 1-2 shift notchiness. I posted once on here to see if anyone else was experiencing the same thing and was told that it would get better. When I brought my car in for service, I had them check the shifting and they gave me the 'ol, "It's normal" BS. It only happens on the 1-2 shift and I can't predict when it will happen, but it happens often. I just don't want to find out that I'm slowly killing my tranny (especially if it goes south after my warranty is out).

On the whistling, is it when you are accelerating, because all G35's do that (I also posted about that once)....

Old 11-21-2004, 01:27 PM

The A/C takes the moisture (humidity) out of the air. That's why it comes on when the defroster is on. You can turn up the temperature so you don't freeze your butt off even when the A/C is on. The A/C does more than just cool the air on hot days.

2004 Coupe 6MT / Caribbean Blue / Willow / Premium / Navi / Aero Package / Aero Kit / Splash Guards / Clear Corners / July 2004 build

Old 11-21-2004, 01:44 PM

1) It might be a problem. You might have another G or Z owner check it out or try driving another one to see if it feels the same. Many describe the tranny as notchy already.I think the actuation is great myself. It has a very positive engagement feel.

2) It's normal for the A/C to come on in just about every modern car when the defroster is turned on. This is to help remove moisture on the inside as A/C has a natural effect of drying the air that passes through the system. This is why you get condensation draining out under your car.

3) I have no rattles. But There is a TSB for the ratle on the rear shelf. You might want to have the dealer check these out.

4) Have the dealer check this out. If water is getting in, you may have a bad seal, or the window needs adjustment. I have no windnoise.

5) 280 HP, 3400 lbs. Not exactly a combination for great gas mileage. And if you're coming from a 180 HP Celica, the difference will seem drastic. I gt about 15 mpg myself. I have a heavy foot.

Old 11-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1-2 is really notchy on mine too. I just need to make sure
I clutch-in all the way and let the flywheel spindown
quite a bit before entering the 2nd gate.

I have a slight rattle on my glovebox door when its
cold outside. Goes away as soon as the cabin is warmed up.

2004 G35C 6MT Brilliant Silver
S-Tech front / Pro-kit rear / Stillen Camber Rods

Old 11-22-2004, 04:44 PM

The 2005 G35 6mt tranny will have new triple cone synchro. I believe they are trying to address this notchy issue.

Everyone talks about the minor cosmetic changes and the small power increase. I am waiting for the 05 because of the improve tranny...

Enjoy!