G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Tokico D-Specs no go for 6MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 09:38 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay. Let's say you are exactly right and they do fit, then I'll be a happy camper.

Now I'm just curious why the manufacturer says that they won't. Hopefully whoever I get on the phone will be able to tell me.

Anyway, I'm encouraged and ready to start getting the car ready for a few weekends at the track:

Tokico D-Specs w/stock springs
EBC Yellowstuff pads
EBC sport rotors
Stainless steel brake lines
Hotchkis sways
Motul

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is the reply from Tokico:

Thank you for contacting TOKICO. Do you have switches that control the shock for soft and firm? If not that is why we (exc. Sport Susp.) they are different.

First, it was nice of them to reply to my question.

Second, I'm guessing English is not the first language of the guy who replied. His name sounded.....Nordic.

Third, I think what he is trying to say is that for cars with in-car automatic shock adjustment, these shocks won't work. I was not aware that this was an option on an 06 G35 coupe. I suspect it isn't and it worries me a bit that Tokico doesn't know that.

Fourth, it sounds like the D-specs will fit my 06 6MT, just as you guys said. So tomorrow I'm off to the mechanic to find out how much it will cost to install them, the brakes, rotors, brake lines and antisway bars. (In the past, I'd do all of this myself, but in my current house I have no garage and my driveway is no place for jacking up a car.)

Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
Was ready to pull the trigger on a set of Tokico D-Spec shocks/struts but noticed that it will not work with the Sport Tuned Suspension. This REALLY bites because they are exactly what I am looking for:

High performance shock/strut
Adjustable compression and rebound
Adjustable without being removed
No change in ride height/ uses stock springs

First, does anyone have any idea WHY they won't work with the Sport package? The only difference is stiffer springs and beefier sway bars. Maybe the sport springs require a different mount size or shape?

Second, does anyone know of anything similar that meets the criteria above? Koni makes adjustable performance shocks but they only adjust rebound and the rears have to be removed to adjust.

Third, if there isn't anything comparable does anyone know a work around for using the D-specs?

Finally, if I can't find something to meet the criteria above, what would you do. The car is a daily driver, weekend back road joyrider, and hopefully part time track day car as well.

Coilover kits not an option. All of them lower the vehicle and I'd just beat it to pieces on my driveway curb, pothole and tracks around here.

Thanks for any advice/ideas.
Why won't they work? I have D-Specs and they work fine!

You might want to give the 350Z Tein S-Techs and D-Specs a try. They work great together on the sedans without really lowering the car much.

Last edited by dofu; 05-26-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
lol they just don't know each one of the cars they produce products for well enough. There is no adjustable stock shocks and they will fit fine.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:40 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
lol they just don't know each one of the cars they produce products for well enough. There is no adjustable stock shocks and they will fit fine.
Sad if thats the case. You would think a lot of R&D would be done prior to marketing an item.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:43 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
Sad if thats the case. You would think a lot of R&D would be done prior to marketing an item.
Prob is that people making them probably know, but they aren't the ones that market or do customer service.

Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 AM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
Prob is that people making them probably know, but they aren't the ones that market or do customer service.
No, the problem is still R&D. For a company like Tokico, I'm willing to bet the aftermarket products are based off of specs they used for the OEM products, which is fine for the most part. But companies like Tein really have no real R&D, and for them it's more of an estimate, make, install, drive around the block kind of deal.