Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
swap it with a VK45DE and call it a day

Old 06-05-2011, 09:39 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by Revo

So while looking at my options I found a built, blue printed and balanced motor with factory internals, ACL race bearings, ported and polished heads, installed for just a little more than the dealer wanted for a used motor, so I'm going that route.

Slyvan Lake might have a point but he does not know all the details so honestly all he's doing is speculating.
With the limited info you gave that is all anyone could do is speculate....you never said if some guy built it in his wood shed or what proof you had of who built what? I have seen several engines from "shops that know what they are doing" fail in less than 5,000miles people make mistakes even engine builders, Nissans robots have built 1,000,000s of VQs they are less likely to make a mistake. Roll the dice maybe it will work out are you getting it direct from Stillen? I have never heard of them offering engines if not direct from stillen i would make sure it has all of the documentation with it. Can you afford to have the engine pulled out and reinstalled if something goes wrong with the aftermarket engine? even small issues that come up may need the engine pulled to fix. Some engines are under warranty but the labor is often not covered. If you are buying an engine from the dealership and having them install it you will likely get at least a 90day warranty and they sold you the engine so they should cover the labor, just a couple things you should look into before taking the plunge.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 06-05-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by faiz23
PICS of the process and please give us a break down on cost for materials and labor.

thanks
Well, the way you said that with PICS in all caps is implying that I'm BSing this. I'm not, what would be the point? I've been a member here for a while, why would I start trolling now? Are you going to start questioning my garage too? I'll gladly provide proof that I'm driving our M5 in the meantime.

They said they'd take pictures for me but I'm not going to post them just because you posted in such snob-like fashion implying I'm a troll.

I'll PM anyone else a picture of my invoice if they really feel the need to see it.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan lake V35
With the limited info you gave that is all anyone could do is speculate....you never said if some guy built it in his wood shed or what proof you had of who built what? I have seen several engines from "shops that know what they are doing" fail in less than 5,000miles people make mistakes even engine builders, Nissans robots have built 1,000,000s of VQs they are less likely to make a mistake. Roll the dice maybe it will work out are you getting it direct from Stillen? I have never heard of them offering engines if not direct from stillen i would make sure it has all of the documentation with it. Can you afford to have the engine pulled out and reinstalled if something goes wrong with the aftermarket engine? even small issues that come up may need the engine pulled to fix. Some engines are under warranty but the labor is often not covered. If you are buying an engine from the dealership and having them install it you will likely get at least a 90day warranty and they sold you the engine so they should cover the labor, just a couple things you should look into before taking the plunge.
The engine was built by the guy Stillen uses to build all their engines. He builds race engines all the time and used to work for a race team, building engines. This is what I was told by Stillen's lead tech/shop manager

I'm buying the engine from Stillen and Stillen is doing the work, so even though their motor builder isn't in house Stillen is the one offering the warranty, as far as I know.

Stillen gives the same 90 day labor warranty and 1 year parts warranty as the dealer does. Says so right on my workorder from when I dropped off my car.

My rear Stillen Swaybar broke after being on my car for almost 4 years and I took it to them and they put a new one on for free no questions asked. I just showed them it was broken, and they said "alright we'll take care of it" and when I picked up the car there was a new sway bar on there with the mounts freshly lubed.

I've been driving my car a LOT lately, like 25,000 miles a year at the rate I'm going, so I'm sure any problems will reveal themselves in that time especially considering the way I drive. I don't abuse my car but I take full advantage of the engine's rev range all the time.

I appreciate your concern but at this point I've already put 5 grand down for the long block, and my car is already at Stillen. They begin the install on the 20th and then I pay them the remaining (which is tax on the motor + labor) when I pick it up. Kind of no turning back at this point.

I will ask them for more detailed paperwork since at this point all I really have is a simple invoice that states "VQ35 Long Block Ported Pol Heads Blueprint" and "Labor" and a price for each and the total at the bottom.

Stillen has been around for a while and I trust them and that's good enough for me.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Well, the way you said that with PICS in all caps is implying that I'm BSing this. I'm not, what would be the point? I've been a member here for a while, why would I start trolling now? Are you going to start questioning my garage too? I'll gladly provide proof that I'm driving our M5 in the meantime.

They said they'd take pictures for me but I'm not going to post them just because you posted in such snob-like fashion implying I'm a troll.

I'll PM anyone else a picture of my invoice if they really feel the need to see it.
I didn't read that from his post. I think you may be a little wound up right now, and jumping on people (not going to get you very far). Just chill out a bit.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
With all of the details provides it sounds like a solid deal, it is always best to go through the shop you bought the engine at for the instal that way if issues arise the blame game dosent take place. it sounds like you are doing it right. Good luck.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Calm down.

He didn't imply anything.

All he ment was log your build with pics because me and many others like to read and look at build threads.