G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Door Actuator, best price online...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Door Actuator, best price online...

I'm in need of a passenger door lock actuator for my 06 coupe...

Whats the consensus on the store/site with the best prices?

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find some local shop and ask them for the price to repair your door lock.

I got a pretty good deal from my local shop.

They offer me 130 to fix it, but I do not have time to go and have them fix it tho.

They told me that they can get lower price for the parts.

You should go and hit up with some of your local car repair shop.

eBay and some other site are selling them around 150-160.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:11 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Pythonjosh sells kits for $30, hes in torrance, Ca or im sure he could mail em to u too. n my locks still working

Old 06-14-2011, 04:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steezy777
Pythonjosh sells kits for $30, hes in torrance, Ca or im sure he could mail em to u too. n my locks still working
I have messaged him and even replied on his post, but he never answer tho.

You have any other way to reach him ?

Old 06-14-2011, 09:36 AM
ill tryn call him later today, then ill tell him to chk his PMs if hes not busy

Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by Steezy777
I actually had him install the kit on my car and it failed....went back a second time to have it fixed, and now it has failed again....

I'd rather not go through the trouble time and time again to save a few bucks....you get what you pay for...

Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KingCobra
I actually had him install the kit on my car and it failed....went back a second time to have it fixed, and now it has failed again....

I'd rather not go through the trouble time and time again to save a few bucks....you get what you pay for...
How long before the kit failed?

Both my doorlocks went out withing months of eachother. I'm pretty handy so ordered a set from partsexpress.com and watched josh's tutorial on youtube and did them both myself. Total cost for both doors was $23 dollars (had to buy an aluminum rod of sort from Lowes for my bracket.

But afterwards if they were to fail, like yours did, the actuators are 5 bucks a piece... easy!

Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
stuff like this id rather get oem type replacement rather then mcguyver a totally aftermarket kit

Old 06-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by saywat?
stuff like this id rather get oem type replacement rather then mcguyver a totally aftermarket kit
Yea understandable. The premature failure of that kit IMO is directly related to the quality and precision of the install. But for something so cheap and an easy fix, the online price of $170'ish per side just wasn't going down easy for me.

Worse case, you can try the $5 way and say you did and then buy the 170 piece online afterwards. For me, it was a no brainer going the route I did. I guess its just what you are most comfortable with.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:36 AM
i think once you crack it open and see how simple of a mechanism it is you will think differently, i was there as Josh installed mine and i was dumbstruck at how simple of a concept it was. it took me longer to install my DD than it did to do that fix, and this wasnt my first time installing a car stereo(or my whole system for that matter )

Old 06-15-2011, 07:45 PM
+1

Steezy:
It's not about how "simple the concept is" or how fast it is to install...its the fact that your risking the fact that it can very easily fail on you and youll be stuck with either a door that wont lock or a door that wont open...

Unfortunately its really not worth the money saved for me in my opinion....no matter how easy it is to fix again, etc...

And also realize that the fix you get from that mcguyver kit you actually have to drill an extra piece into the door and have other wires hanging etc....more parts = more parts that can fail, etc...

I'll stick with the OEM door lock....the stock one lasted me over 100k not too bad if you ask me....as long as the new OEM lock lasts me another 100k im good

Old 06-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
plus id hate to be the new owner of the car and come across this issue and getting ready to fix it himself only to see the odd little home made kit in the door. it would really sadden me as a used car buyer lol

Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^ Lmao you beat me to it.. I just picked up my G in February and the drivers door lock works only sometimes so the actuator is prob on it's way out... I'd be pretty sad if I opened up that door panel to see some hick job done with that $5 fix lol.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:30 PM
+1

I'll stick with the OEM door lock....the stock one lasted me over 100k not too bad if you ask me....as long as the new OEM lock lasts me another 100k im good
man if my doorlocks lasted my over 100k I'd prolly go OEM too, but both failed within 5k miles and that would've costed me over 300 for two new actuators.

anyways, back to the question at hand... the cheapest I've found a new actuator was for about $174. I'd have to dig it up, but I think it was from a dealer in Arizona. Have you found it cheaper?

Last edited by T4RUSAF; 06-16-2011 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:54 AM
+1

Steezy:
It's not about how "simple the concept is" or how fast it is to install...its the fact that your risking the fact that it can very easily fail on you and youll be stuck with either a door that wont lock or a door that wont open...

Unfortunately its really not worth the money saved for me in my opinion....no matter how easy it is to fix again, etc...

And also realize that the fix you get from that mcguyver kit you actually have to drill an extra piece into the door and have other wires hanging etc....more parts = more parts that can fail, etc...

well to each his own, but also remember that were dealing with electronics here... any random semiconductor is subject to fry at any time and boom, the thing doesnt work, it happens all the time. now is the OEM one more reliable? i honestly think that it comes down to the individual unit you buy, you may be the unlucky one to have it fail on you 100 miles down the road, or you may never have to replace it again. and the exact same goes for my "cheap fix", but it works and it still looks OEM from the outside, thats all that matters to me. and im not to worried about a steel bar failing :] wires dont hang, its flush... and i hit my system hard almost every day, still no failure. If and when it happens, it happens, i know how to fix it now :]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Door Actuator, best price online...