G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Navigation problem---Help plz!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by muhtish
Tried to self diag. the Navi by pressing map and destination simultaneously and holding it for a few seconds while engine is ON and running. (I could of swear the screen flickered for a moment but nothing came up).
My self diag instructions might have been confusing. Press "Map" and "Day/Night" buttons for 5 seconds, then press the "Previous" button to bring up the diag screen.

If eject button isn't lighting up (when lights are turned on), then I would guess the unit isn't getting power. Time to start pulling dash apart and checking connectors.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Day/Night button and map ...got it, will try again.
If that fails, will start taking the dash apart. Any place in particular I can look to get a good idea where are the screws are?
Oh and I didn't see a "previous" button at all.

Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM
Premier Member

I think Previous means the "Back" button. Went and tried on my car and simply holding Map + D/N for ~5 seconds caused the diag screen to pop up, no Back button needed.

I highlighted the "Previous(Back)" button in red in this pic.

Start at page 10 to see how the dash pieces are put together: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Coup...5_Coupe/ip.pdf
Looks like at a minimum you need to remove the glove box and the silver trim piece that goes across the dash, to get to that center box.

Last edited by LoSt180; 06-17-2011 at 07:04 AM.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Thank you LoST180 for the link.

So you don't even press the button on the top of Navi screen when you hold Map+D/N?
I'll have to see if the screen will come out. If not, then taking it apart is what I am doing tonight.

Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Steezy777...how hard is it to get to the main power connector for the Navi? I am guessing that is my only option left.
have you ever tried to change out the stereo? if you look up Double din conversion guide you will find instructions on how to tear that center console open, its hell at first but after the first time its cake! but it will be the first connector you unplug from your Navi/CD and yeah, im preeeetty sure its all linked together. Your stereo wont work w/o that one being connected, so maybe even just another connector is unplugged and of course it may not be essential for anything you have been using, but it may be preventing the flow of current to your DVD unit. heres a pic i found of the harness, if your navi is the brains and your CD players the heart, this monster is the vascular system...

https://g35driver.com/forums/attachm...rness-pic1.jpg

Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys...However I will have to post pone the Navi problem, Until I fix my frame.

Steezy777, thanks for the picture. It does look like a monster on that picture. I hate dealing with wires or anything electrical. It was always over my head!

Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Progress update: today I turned the engine on and let it run for a little while battery charged. While doing that I decided to give another self diag. a try.
While holding D/N+Map, screen didn't come out. However, when button on the top pressed screen comes out, so the HU has power source. When I turned the headlights switch ON, the screen got power to it, but was still blank.
My assumption is that the Navi system is not getting power do it. So it HAS to be wiring. Not much of a progress, but heading in the right direction!!!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Premier Member

Yeah, you have to push the top button for the display unit to physically pop up. Did you try the self-diag when you could actually see the screen? Any beeps or anything? What about the eject light on the dvd unit (in the upper glove box) when you turned on the lights?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 AM
The reason why I've assumed that the Navi unit is not getting any power, is because then the lights are on, there is no lights of any kind on DVD unit or eject button on the Navi console.
As for the beeps or anything else on the screen...NODAthing, just a blank screen.

Old 06-17-2011, 10:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I recently downloaded a copy of 7.6 and burned it to a disc. Everything seems to work fine until i start typing in an address.. It pretty much hangs- very frustrated. I'm gonna attempt to reburn it to the disc and see if that helps.

Anyone else experience this with a burned disc?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by KnowScott
I recently downloaded a copy of 7.6 and burned it to a disc. Everything seems to work fine until i start typing in an address.. It pretty much hangs- very frustrated. I'm gonna attempt to reburn it to the disc and see if that helps.
Anyone else experience this with a burned disc?
Havent tried burning the disk, but if my problem is just a power surge problem, then I will have two disks. I can sell one I have the latest version that I just purchases from NAVTEQ

Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
The reason why I've assumed that the Navi unit is not getting any power, is because then the lights are on, there is no lights of any kind on DVD unit or eject button on the Navi console.
As for the beeps or anything else on the screen...NODAthing, just a blank screen.
is there any way to do a master reset? cuz i turned my beeps off on my 2003, and i know theres also a way do set teh brightness on the navi (i havent tried to see how dark it goes tho :/)

Old 09-20-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did anyone fix dis i have the same problem screen comes up but its blank no light on eject botton its like it has no power need held please

Old 09-20-2011, 01:23 PM
So I have the '03 coupe. And my Navigation works sometimes since I first got it back in 2009. I have come to the conclusion that it only works when the temperature outside is hot. I don't know where you guys live...but in the Summer time my NAVI works just fine. And when the Fall and Winter arrives its dead. I noticed this during the winter while it was dead for some time...then one day the sun was out and outside was about 70 degrees and the NAVI powered up. By the afternoon, once the sun went away and the temperature cooled down the NAVI died.. This is the way it works in my car...Alive in the Summer, dead in the Winter.
Anyone else experience this?

Old 09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
^^^^^mines is the same way i have a 03 sedan i live in toronto any 1 know of a fix for dis problem any help would be great

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Navigation problem---Help plz!!