G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

how can i improve my g35's bad gas mileage???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
Did everyone just miss that someone said they got upper 40s mpg in an 05 INFINITI G35 COUPE?!

must be a k swapped G cuz I'm still baffled..

Old 04-27-2014, 01:29 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseytaylor
Did everyone just miss that someone said they got upper 40s mpg in an 05 INFINITI G35 COUPE?!

must be a k swapped G cuz I'm still baffled..
No he's talking about that irrelevant 40mpg you get when yer going down hill and not touching the gas. You know, like how I get 120mpg when I put it in neutral and coast down hill.

"At times was well over 40"
It was either all downhill (in which case I would like to know what he got on the way back for an actual average) or he's miscalculating his avg.

OR he's on the wrong forum. Maybe he meant to sign up on the "G"eo Metro forum.

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 04-27-2014 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Urbanengineer (04-27-2014)
Old 04-27-2014, 07:07 PM
Received 109 Likes on 99 Posts
ironically this was on the FB page

Old 04-27-2014, 08:06 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
best MPG here for you

Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Basic tune up items, which likely won't do much, but perhaps there is a final drive ratio change with another Nissan? Something with a taller rear end. I am new to this but my old Legend 6MT sat at 3200RPM @ 100mph, my new 06 G35 Coupe 5AT sits at 3300-3400RPM @ 80mph, that's pretty high RPM's for highway driving, can't imagine getting good gas mileage in this car...ever, though I didn't really buy this car for the gas mileage, anything near 20 is fantastic compared to the 10-12mph I have been getting in my truck (after selling the Legend)

Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 AM
Originally Posted by soloist3
Basic tune up items, which likely won't do much, but perhaps there is a final drive ratio change with another Nissan? Something with a taller rear end. I am new to this but my old Legend 6MT sat at 3200RPM @ 100mph, my new 06 G35 Coupe 5AT sits at 3300-3400RPM @ 80mph, that's pretty high RPM's for highway driving, can't imagine getting good gas mileage in this car...ever, though I didn't really buy this car for the gas mileage, anything near 20 is fantastic compared to the 10-12mph I have been getting in my truck (after selling the Legend)
You're correct on the final drive saving gas, but that would make the car booty as fug. The tq in 6th is kinda what sold me on the car. Being able to easily pass fools without dropping gears is awesome and I get 24mpg city/hwy combo.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:45 AM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Did someone say they got 29mpg highway? HAHAHAHA... not possible. Unless he has a valet mode map that auto shifts at 2k, keeps throttle under 40%, and doesn't exceed 60mph, and NEVER has to stop. Or he is a scientist and used his a/c compressor as a gas vapor system.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 AM
QX1
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stillen06coupe
Did someone say they got 29mpg highway? HAHAHAHA... not possible. Unless he has a valet mode map that auto shifts at 2k, keeps throttle under 40%, and doesn't exceed 60mph, and NEVER has to stop. Or he is a scientist and used his a/c compressor as a gas vapor system.
Yes 29mpg is realistic, in flat road, no hills, steady driving 60mp, no stops, 4 -5 hr driving constantly, cruise control on, AC off.It is G35 06 6MT sedan, full stock.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:21 AM
Originally Posted by QX1
Yes 29mpg is realistic, in flat road, no hills, steady driving 60mp, no stops, 4 -5 hr driving constantly, cruise control on, AC off.It is G35 06 6MT sedan, full stock.
That's not an avg tho, dude. You aren't factoring in city driving and you're talking about a 4hr hwy drive. On flat terrain, goin 60, considering ONLY the hwy part I believe you, but that's not realistic as for as real world driving is concerned. It's one trip. I've personally got 33 mpg on a single trip home from work before (downhill), but that's not a realistic way of measuring, cuz guess what? I got 16 on the way TO work (uphill). So I got about 24mpg av

I've also gotten 99.9+ mpg. 3 mile trip, down hill (6% grade), in neutral, ac on, no stops, 77mph, 78 degrees, 47% humidity, 50psi in tires, premium gas, octane booster, radio on 17, windows up, sunglasses on, jack in the box bound, kind of tired, headed southwest, eibach pro kit, just drank a redbull, blue house on my left...

Last edited by ScraggleRock; 04-29-2014 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 AM
QX1
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
That's not an avg tho, dude. You aren't factoring in city driving and you're talking about a 4hr hwy drive. On flat terrain, goin 60, considering ONLY the hwy part I believe you, but that's not realistic as for as real world driving is concerned. It's one trip. I've personally got 33 mpg on a single trip home from work before (downhill), but that's not a realistic way of measuring, cuz guess what? I got 16 on the way TO work (uphill). So I got about 24mpg av

I've also gotten 99.9+ mpg. 3 mile trip, down hill (6% grade), in neutral, ac on, no stops, 77mph, 78 degrees, 47% humidity, 50psi in tires, premium gas, octane booster, radio on 17, windows up, sunglasses on, jack in the box bound, kind of tired, headed southwest, eibach pro kit, just drank a redbull, blue house on my left...
In my country there is no hills and 29 mpg is real life actual fuel consumption. What can I say if you have hills, I dont. I have flat land. So i cannot drive downhill. If you have not imagination where I live and what kind road here are then do not start argue.Open the map and look whatkind road and land surface is in my country. Wise up.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:08 AM
Originally Posted by QX1
In my country there is no hills and 29 mpg is real life actual fuel consumption. What can I say if you have hills, I dont. I have flat land. So i cannot drive downhill. If you have not imagination where I live and what kind road here are then do not start argue.Open the map and look whatkind road and land surface is in my country. Wise up.
Ok, so there are no stop signs in your country? No traffic lights? No animals that run in front of your car? No cities? No cars that get in your way or cause you to brake? Sorry, I'm trying to "wise up", but my map doesn't have pictures of all the obstacles in your country. You can't tell me that everywhere you go you just start going 60mph and that's the end of it. That doesn't make any sense. Acceleration, deceleration, turning, traffic, cities, etc are all factors of driving. Not just hills.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 AM
QX1
Originally Posted by Gdirtyfive55
Ok, so there are no stop signs in your country? No traffic lights? No animals that run in front of your car? No cities? No cars that get in your way or cause you to brake? Sorry, I'm trying to "wise up", but my map doesn't have pictures of all the obstacles in your country. You can't tell me that everywhere you go you just start going 60mph and that's the end of it. That doesn't make any sense. Acceleration, deceleration, turning, traffic, cities, etc are all factors of driving. Not just hills.
If you start driving from Tallinn (Estonia) to direction to Riga(Latvia) and you find yourself in green zone you do not have to stop, in highway is speed limit 56mph. There is one city
Pärnu,(population 50000 not so big city)
in halfway to Riga, but you can drive in the city around center where speed limit is 50mph
and you have again possibility drive at green zone( anyway there is 2-3 trffic lights no stop signs
and then you are again highway. Even on that 4-5 h.trip 5-6 traffic lights is not big deal.
So basicly is possible to drive highway speeds at steady 60 mph and is possible drive economically !

Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got 26 consistently on a trip from Kentucky to Washington DC which includes mountains...29 is probably possible.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:30 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by partyman66
That's actually not a ridiculous claim if he has a 6MT, is light on the skinny, and shifts low. I do that in traffic and get great economy. It's hard to get phenomenal economy on the highway though without putting along exactly at or under the speed-limit. It seems to me that average highway cruising of 75 or so MPH yields approximately 23-24 MPG on a generally flat grade with a well manicured road and a nicely maintained G 6MT.
It's been a while since I took my G out for any kind of a decently long road trip or venture with extended highway driving, but I did so this weekend and was surprised to see it getting such good fuel economy on the highway. Drove about 160 miles (80 miles each way) mostly between 70 to just under 80 MPH on the way there and about 60-70 on the way back due to slow and dense (but constantly moving) traffic, and averaged 28.2 MPG. That's way better than I ever remember getting in the past in my G, and I've owned it since brand new with just under 50K miles on the clock now. She averaged 27.2 on the way there, and 28.2 total for the whole trip (since the way back was a lot slower due to speed being limited by the cars around me).

Kinda wish I'd gone slower on the way down there just to see what I could have gotten for the whole trip had I tried to baby it in both directions. I'm going to say that I probably got just over 29 MPG on the way back based on the fact that it raised the fuel economy for the whole trip cumulatively from 27.2 to 28.2 during the return trip.

Last edited by partyman66; 05-14-2014 at 12:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, I have been doing alot more HWY driving for my job, and I have an OBDII scanner for my computer its saying Im getting around 30mpg on my commute doing 70. I did notice my tank is dropping slower, and I live in WA where the hills go up and down every five feet, so not alot of room for discussion there. I do about a 90/10 HWY/City split. Very little stop and go on the HWY in the morning(3am), and I did notice even with a moderate fluctuation of speed in the day(Noon) that in denser traffic i still get close to 30mpg because I think of the decreased wind resistance. In the morning commute im just about all by myself with a few cars dabbled in all other lanes. But in the Noon commute its fairly dense, but not stop and go, and i still manage 30mpg with lower speed avg.

Try doing a Higher speed on the HWY, make sure using Premium, and I use Full Syn for my oil. Thats really all I do.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how can i improve my g35's bad gas mileage???