G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

how can i improve my g35's bad gas mileage???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can i improve my g35's bad gas mileage???

i just bought a 06 g35 coupe 5at and ive been getting pretty bad gas mileage. i changed the oil and the oil filter the other day but that didnt help much
any suggestions as to what i can do to improve my mpg's???
thanks

Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
ecu reset... take off negitive battery cable, let sit over night, hook back up. then drive it like a granny.. keep it under 2750rpm. itll reset the comp to where its more for mpg then hp..

The following users liked this post:
dwaller2317 (05-05-2014)
Old 06-17-2011, 11:26 PM
as well, run a can of seafoam thru the gastank with a full tank and run a half can thru the vaccum line from the brakebooster, then run rest of the half can through the gas one more time, but with only like a gallon of gas... go to E, toss in can, then toss in a gallon of gas. the more concentrated blend should get rid of whatever is left in your fuel rails.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Oh, do that before you do the ECU reset....

Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
not all that much you can do.. maybe change out the spark plugs, run some Seafoam through it.. get a tune to lean out the a/f mixture a bit so that its not running factory rich... I think i read on here somewhere a member mentioning they got 27mpg highway on the way back after getting a tune...

these engines suck a lot of gas.. its a heavy car.. speaking of which, you can lighten up the car also.. lighter wheels, lighter exhaust, maybe even new front seats.. lessening your unsprung mass which include wheels (as i mentioned), a lighter brake kit etc.
lighter pulleys should help also... but dont do underdrive pulleys, stick with stock size..

think thats really about it? unless anyone else wants to chime in...

Old 06-18-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What kind of mileage are you getting? Your idea of "bad" might be normal. These cars suck gas like V8's

Blue Dream (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 01:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
by purchasing a prius

gerG35 (02-07-2012)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gross, dont get prius. Get a Fiat 500...

Is there a better DIY for this Seafoam thing? Personally i prefer HP over mpg. Will it affect my HP?

Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
I have been reading up on this subject too. I average about 19.9 miles per gallon. I DID drive slower on the freeway (around 64mph) and I sht you not.. I was getting 27.3 miles a gallon. Keep in mind, I felt like I was going to have a panic attack and I swear my nose was about to bleed.... I don't know if I will try that again.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 AM
if you have a lot of build up in your fuelrails/injectors and the upper part of your engine which running seafoam would get to by running through the vaccum might give you a little bit of hp... nothing HUGE. so dont expect anything imo. but the ecu reset will "free up" hp. the ecu of our car conforms to the way the driver drives it. if you drive it hard from the time you reset it, the ecu will keep that setting, which = bad gas mileage but lets u use all the available hp. but if you drive it like a granny, tryin to get good gas mileage, it will give you better mpg but wont let you dip into all the horsepower... ive read on here that the ecu will reserve up to 25-30hp when you drive like a granny... if i recall

Old 06-18-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by HavokGT
if you have a lot of build up in your fuelrails/injectors and the upper part of your engine which running seafoam would get to by running through the vaccum might give you a little bit of hp... nothing HUGE. so dont expect anything imo. but the ecu reset will "free up" hp. the ecu of our car conforms to the way the driver drives it. if you drive it hard from the time you reset it, the ecu will keep that setting, which = bad gas mileage but lets u use all the available hp. but if you drive it like a granny, tryin to get good gas mileage, it will give you better mpg but wont let you dip into all the horsepower... ive read on here that the ecu will reserve up to 25-30hp when you drive like a granny... if i recall
It is true. I purchased my used 06 Coupe and it had one previous owner. This forum fills my head of sht to do to my car so I did the foot pedal ECU reset. I had driven my used car for about 2500 miles and it felt like a new car.. so much faster and responsive... but... my 23.5mpg went to 18 mpg. I am going to try sea foam... here we go again....

Old 06-18-2011, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do more highway driving
I also always thought my 06 G35x got bad mileage but shops and the dealer said everything about the car is fine.
My previous maximum was all city driving - 475km on one tank. Now my situation changed a bit where I barely drive in the city and do highway driving to visit home from university. I easily achieve 575km now, an extra 100 clicks!

Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You can do all the above mentioned tricks but what you need to do is stop listening to your exhaust while driving and use your cruise control when ever possible. A steady speed at what ever the limit is will give you the best results....our Infinities are not known for gas mileage!
Gary

GXXXV X (06-24-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gary c
You can do all the above mentioned tricks but what you need to do is stop listening to your exhaust while driving and use your cruise control when ever possible. A steady speed at what ever the limit is will give you the best results....our Infinities are not known for gas mileage!
Gary
+1. An easy way of following that advice is turning on Snow mode (not sure if that's standard in all Gs). It basically limits your max RPMs and wants you to push harder on the pedal to move so you might feel guilty pushing further than you're used to.

GXXXV X (06-24-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Does anyone know if driving with snow mode on is actually a good idea? If it will keep me from hearing that VQ growl while not hurting anything im all for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: how can i improve my g35's bad gas mileage???