G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Transmission fluid change...at 80k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 02:46 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Having had lengthy conversations with a 20+ year Nissan certified/ASE Master technician I can tell you that much of what is posted in this thread is simply not true (according to him).

The only way to properly determine if a powered type flush is required is by inspecting the transmission and the fluid. If a flush is determined to be the best solution then doing a proper flush should do no harm to your transmission and may actually extend the life of it (obviously depending upon it's current condition). A flush is not a solution to a transmission problem but then neither is a drain and fill. Anyone that truly thinks they are doing something significant for their transmission with a simple drain and fill is mistaken, all you are doing is adding about 1/3 new fluid to the case which will then be contaminated by the remaining fluid almost instantly after being driven.

Also the generalization that these AT transmissions will require replacement at around 100k is totally false, the Nissan tech stated when properly maintained they can reach 200k or more if not abused (of course many here would not fall into that category). He stated in many circumstances these AT transmissions will outlast the engine (before requiring a rebuild).

* He stated that in his 30+ years in automotive this is one of the most solid AT transmissions he has ever seen.

Take this info as you will...

Jason

Last edited by DGP-G35; 07-17-2011 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:03 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
^ Yep

Most AT failures are from heat, old fluid does not transport heat well enough since it broke down and then you have a failed tranny.

If anything drain and fill helps but changing out all the fluid is best.

But there is alot of negative stuff around the web about flushing.

I had mine done at 39k since I thought It was done already. Ill be doing it again in 10k miles (70k)

Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Yea everyone has opinions even mechanics but we've seen many, many posts where after have a "Flush" the trans had major issues that weren't obvious prior. I'll keep having mine changed every 30K miles where the remaining fluid can't be that degraded. Yes, she shifts better after the trans has been serviced....my opinion!
Gary

Old 07-17-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
^ That's how i felt, i bought mine with 34k miles and i changed the oil at 40k after i changed it felt like the car shifted much smoother.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
well, from my experience....if you dont change your trans fluid and have over 100k on it....it will fail. but what do i know? not like ive ever done it.

i wasnt saying that they only last til 100k. dont change your fluid ever and see if your trans starts slipping. if you change the fluid by the recommended intervals then yes....ive seen these cars with over 250k well maintained running just like new.

and yes to the flush post, IF the fluid has been regularly changed...then a flush is not a problem. although nissan/infiniti does not recommend flushes at all. now if your fluid is not maintained and nasty, then chances are you might have a problem even after a flush. again, something i wouldnt personally know about from working on these cars on a daily basis

Last edited by the_sedan; 07-17-2011 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by the_coupe
well, from my experience....if you dont change your trans fluid and have over 100k on it....it will fail. but what do i know? not like ive ever done it.

i wasnt saying that they only last til 100k. dont change your fluid ever and see if your trans starts slipping. if you change the fluid by the recommended intervals then yes....ive seen these cars with over 250k well maintained running just like new.

and yes to the flush post, IF the fluid has been regularly changed...then a flush is not a problem. although nissan/infiniti does not recommend flushes at all. now if your fluid is not maintained and nasty, then chances are you might have a problem even after a flush. again, something i wouldnt personally know about from working on these cars on a daily basis
Sorry, I think he (we) misunderstood what you had stated as meaning the AT trans is only good up to around 100k.

Jason

Old 07-18-2011, 12:06 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
negative, these transmissions are great....as long as they are maintained. i worked on a 03 green sedan that had 269k on the clock and still looked and ran just like it did in 03. its all about how well you take care of your car. it will last as long as you want it to. dont change your trans fluid regularly, put a tranny in it. dont change your engine oil but every 10k miles, get ready for OC issues and IVT codes.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
So here's my question I bought my car with 78k mi and it has 89k can't really say there's any shift issues I'm sure its not like it was brand new though I have no records on the tranny but spoke to infiniti who sent m previous owners records (all maintained properly just no tranny records) how should I service it?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Since by your post you don't have a lot of experience with draining refilling it would be a good idea to take your car to a qualified service center. Many have recommended Nissan dealers because they are less expensive. They will be able to recommend what's best. A rebuilt transmission with install would cost around $4,000. Getting the drain/fill will at most cost around $200. This is a better safe than sorry situation in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by VincenzG35
So here's my question I bought my car with 78k mi and it has 89k can't really say there's any shift issues I'm sure its not like it was brand new though I have no records on the tranny but spoke to infiniti who sent m previous owners records (all maintained properly just no tranny records) how should I service it?
If you have no records of it being changed i wouldn't touch it. You can do more harm then good at this post with the mileage you have. I have a friend that never changed the oil since new and still driving the car on the same trans at 220k miles

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VincenzG35
I'm in the same boast as you. I just purchase a used 2004 G35 automatic coupe with 78,000 miles on it. I've already changed the oil in it and now I'm trying to see whats the best way of going about trying to change the transmission fluid. However I see the poster above me says don't mess with it. I don't know...

Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by FreshFromATL
I'm in the same boast as you. I just purchase a used 2004 G35 automatic coupe with 78,000 miles on it. I've already changed the oil in it and now I'm trying to see whats the best way of going about trying to change the transmission fluid. However I see the poster above me says don't mess with it. I don't know...
There are those individuals that refuse to take care of their cars but that's not what this forum is about. Have your trans serviced and it will last longer and work better. There's no filter just fluids and cost should be less than $200 even at Nissan....Gary

Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So let me get the is strait... matic-s is the new stuff and matic-j is the old stuff and I have 93k on mine and been trying to change all the fluids slowly but surely land just want to make sure I get the right stuff also I know this isn't the tread for it but what do you use for the rear end....

Old 02-16-2012, 02:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a 05 g coupe with 42k last year and now its sitting at 48k on the clock am I in the clear to get a flush done? My tranny does feel really sluggish.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update...

I took my car to this listed Infiniti Service Shop: http://www.wadeautomotiverepair.com/home.htm and the lead mechanic told me NOT to mess with the transmission fluid. He basically repeated what some of you said whereas automatic BMW's, Infiniti's and other "luxury" type cars use this special-type of fluid that should last 100,000 - 150,000 miles or more. He said changing it could damage the car and not to focus on the tranny fluid right now. He also said that they have received specific instructions before from BMW, Infiniti, etc. not to mess with the fluid...

That's what I was told.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change...at 80k?