G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Transmission fluid change...at 80k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 02:54 PM
AJY
Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
I've just called my local dealership kinda got the run around. Said bring it in to be looked at.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I would get if flushed without question. Mine had 97k when I flushed it and it shifts smoother every time I drive it. It won't get smoother when shifting in manual mode but from park in to drive or reverse will be smoother. It was well worth the $150 flush with Nissan fluid to me.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowtrax
I would get if flushed without question. Mine had 97k when I flushed it and it shifts smoother every time I drive it. It won't get smoother when shifting in manual mode but from park in to drive or reverse will be smoother. It was well worth the $150 flush with Nissan fluid to me.
I have 106k on an 06 and have no records of transmission work. I just picked up 4 quarts of Castrol transmission fluid (says its compatible with Nissan J/S Matic). Car shifts perfect now, but I'd like to be on the safe side. For those that say not to change the fluid, I'm curious as to why there's a drain plug on the transmission pan then? Not trying to be a smart ***, just a legitimate question.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Orbital1
I have 106k on an 06 and have no records of transmission work. I just picked up 4 quarts of Castrol transmission fluid (says its compatible with Nissan J/S Matic). Car shifts perfect now, but I'd like to be on the safe side. For those that say not to change the fluid, I'm curious as to why there's a drain plug on the transmission pan then? Not trying to be a smart ***, just a legitimate question.
You're not supposed to use anything but Nissan fluid

Old 03-06-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by snowtrax
You're not supposed to use anything but Nissan fluid
Did a lot of searching on the site and ran into a couple of posts that stated Nissan fluid is the same as Castrol ATF since that's where Nissan gets their fluid from.

The following users liked this post:
snowtrax (03-06-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by VincenzG35
So here's my question I bought my car with 78k mi and it has 89k can't really say there's any shift issues I'm sure its not like it was brand new though I have no records on the tranny but spoke to infiniti who sent m previous owners records (all maintained properly just no tranny records) how should I service it?
This....^....is where a total flush maybe required. Without records of having your trans serviced and wanting your Infiniti to work well and last, a flush sounds like good insurance....Gary

Old 03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I just sent in my G for drain and refill, just hit 60k.... I was kinda shakey about getting a flush done.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
AJY
Ok just curious what is the difference?
Drain pretty straight forward
Flush do they pump a ton through or some sort of high power air hose to blow all the old stuff out? Or is it simply and extra bit ran through to 'flush" out all the old stuff?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by AJY
Ok just curious what is the difference?
Drain pretty straight forward
Flush do they pump a ton through or some sort of high power air hose to blow all the old stuff out? Or is it simply and extra bit ran through to 'flush" out all the old stuff?
Almost every dealer in in south Florid Only drain and fills its dumb. The only dealer that will will do a flush is Sawgrass infiniti

anyhow I had a conversation with the head tech about the procedure since I wanted it done like it said in the service manual. The machine they use does not force fluid in the wrong way or anything, its really not a "flush" more of an "exchange" they hook up the cooler lines and the machine looks at the inlet PSI and pumps in fluid like the transmission would normally at the same PSI then they just stop the machine when a certain amount of fluid has been exchanged.

One thing I don't really like is that the service manual says they need to use 30-40% more fluid to make sure its cleaned out but they usually stop at 11 or 12 quarts.

If you call about the service make sure its not the drain and fill I called around for prices and they all quoted me for drain and fills ($150)even though I said flush. Basically a flush will be ~200 bucks, I just paid 218.

Last edited by thescreensavers; 06-20-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Received 802 Likes on 678 Posts
G35 Sedan
Picked my car up at about 120k and i'm approaching the 150k mark now...pretty sure the 100k service wasn't performed as when i got it unfortunately it wasn't in the best shape. Up in the air about what i want to do at this point. It shifts perfectly fine. Thinking about draining a quart and putting a quart in at oil change intervals to be safe but i'm still not sure if i want to touch it

Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
AJY
Ok so I asked our head tech and he explained it like this.
ATF is a detergent after a while it breaks down and doesn't scrub so well. Eventually the trasmission builds up a varnish like coating that help the friction for shifting. If you wait too long and flush or change it the new detergent will scrub off all the varnish ie no more friction and the car will simply not go. He said he hadn't seen it much but one guy insited on a flush and the tranny died before he could park it in the lot.

So if your fluids smell burnt don't touch it.

Old 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM

G35 Sedan
guess that means no transgo for me

Old 06-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by AJY
Ok so I asked our head tech and he explained it like this.
ATF is a detergent after a while it breaks down and doesn't scrub so well. Eventually the trasmission builds up a varnish like coating that help the friction for shifting. If you wait too long and flush or change it the new detergent will scrub off all the varnish ie no more friction and the car will simply not go. He said he hadn't seen it much but one guy insited on a flush and the tranny died before he could park it in the lot.

So if your fluids smell burnt don't touch it.
I dont like that explanation, so how does the car work before this "Varnish" build up? Broken Down fluid will simply not protect the transmission like it suppose to so it will die much much sooner. If the Fluid get burnt from overheating you really don't want to keep it in there as its no longer serving its function.

If the fluid is broken down, its no longer properly lubricating, protecting things that need it. Heat kills transmissions. I believe in frequent changes, and personally would do it. That does not mean I am not scared of a dead transmissions. There is too much debate on changing fluid after 100k. If anything do a drain and fill since it wont "SHOCK" the transmission with all new fluid.

I just did a flush 40k miles(from last flush) And I am now bringing that down to 30k with drain and fills every 15k. It was pretty dark, this was after Zday and I am going to install a cooler. Which next week I will have a DIY write up for you guys. (~$120) for a cooler installed.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:26 PM

G35 Sedan
I have the mishimoto tranny cooler but no hoses, look forward to the DIY

Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM
AJY
And doing flushes even 30-45k is best but once you have let it go. I've asked several guys who work with the systems and do it. Thats what I was told from a guy who has been doing the system flushes at our shop for 11 years and used to have his own shop. Not saying I know everything into it but this is how it was explained to me. I have also been told by another tech that a neglected tranny will lose the friction on the plates and the material is carried in the fluids so change the fluid and lose the friction. That one sounded a little more hoaky too me.

It's my opinion that since my transmission was flushed once and is almost at 90k I'll do regular flushes

I would just pass along that if your fluids smell burnt at all you should not flush from the information I've gathered.

Just my 2¢

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Transmission fluid change...at 80k?