G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

PLEASE HELP: Got ripped off with odometer rollback!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:46 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
sound like 16k is a total millage.

Which for me is a major red flag.

A 2004 with only 13k on it? Very strange.

Sometimes you got to trust your gut instead of carFax.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by zadar2626
Hey all, this is my first post. I think that I've been the victim of fraud....

The problem was that my carfax showed more miles than was on the odometer!!! 16,550 to be exact.
What was written by the OP isn't clear. It can be read as "The carfax listed mileage is 16,550." Alternatively it can be read as "The carfax shows 16,550 more miles on the car than the odometer does." Either way to interpret the quote above is equally correct, given the ambiguity in the writing.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:05 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
If's it legit, 16k mileage is really good for an 04; I got my 05 with 40k miles on it, and that was considered good when I bought it.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Premier Member

Received 468 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
What was written by the OP isn't clear. It can be read as "The carfax listed mileage is 16,550." Alternatively it can be read as "The carfax shows 16,550 more miles on the car than the odometer does." Either way to interpret the quote above is equally correct, given the ambiguity in the writing.
I read OP's post as the later, meaning carfax shows 16K MORE miles than what's currently on the car. Also guessing he meant 130K miles on the car, not 13K.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To clarify....

CarFax that the owner supplied to me said the car had 13,000 miles on 7/7/2010
CarFax that I bought a few days after purchase said the car had 16,550 miles on 7/7/2010
Title he gave me said the car had 13,000 miles and was issued on 3/3/2011

Also, as a side note, the "estimated miles driven per year" value that shows up on a CarFax was 2,508/yr on both reports. Which is mathmatically impossible considering that both reports have different total mileage. I believe the formula is (Total Miles)/(Time) = (Miles Per Year). Once again, mathmatically impossible for both reports to have same calculated number.... meaning that the CarFax he gave me was fake.

Also, to ppl in the forum who think I'm complaining of a difference of 3,000 miles..... I'm not. My problem is that if the guy was able to change it once, god knows how many times he changed it before. Because he changed it once, I can no longer believe any mileage discrepencies. The actually mileage of the car could be 100,000+ miles cause I have no idea. I certainly don't mean to make anyone here on the forum upset, but I wanted everyone to know where I was coming from.

Thanks in advance for all your help so far. Like I said, this guy f**ked me.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
I'm not sure what you paid for it, but sounds to me like you got yourself a nice low mileage 2004 G35. Congrats.

It's only 3k miles. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM
After reading my last post, I realized that the first part with dates and mileage doesn't make sense. That's the point.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM
I'm suprised by everyone saying that I got a great deal on the car, when in reality there is no way to tell how many miles are on the car. From what I'm learning on this forum, it looks like its pretty common to roll miles back. Just becaue my car says 13,000 miles doesn't mean it has 13,000 miles.... that's the issue I'm having. There is something very fishy here and I just need to find out the truth about the mileage.

BTW, after about 10 voice mails, the previous owner is not calling me back.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:45 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
basically you are kind of stuck with a car and there is not much you can do about it besides hiring private investigator and put a watch dog over this guy and keep watching him till he buys a new car and rolls back the miles. Only if you can catch him in the act, you can then overturn this to a proper authorities and have him prosecuted.

Other than that you don't have any other options.

Next time just apply some logic and common sense.
13k miles on a car that is 7 years old..........that G should have been wrapped in plastic still.

I got over 100k on my G and it's 6 years old and my rocker panel covers are still wrapped in plastic.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:46 PM
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
you still havent addressed what makes you think its been in an accident... If it has low miles and rides nice who cares? a difference of 3000 miles is not enough to want to roll back. it was probably just a mistake in posting. and maybe hes not answering bc you left 10 voicemails. take it to your local mechanic, have him check it out. If nothings wrong then just enjoy the gem you found at some mileage in the teens. also keep in mind you bought a car thats 7 years old. a faulty carfax is a big deal and i can understand your frustration and your fear of "well if he did this, what else can be wrong" but dont jump to conclusions to fast. get the car looked at, or say why you think its been in an accident lol

Old 07-18-2011, 01:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
To clarify....

CarFax that the owner supplied to me said the car had 13,000 miles on 7/7/2010
CarFax that I bought a few days after purchase said the car had 16,550 miles on 7/7/2010
Title he gave me said the car had 13,000 miles and was issued on 3/3/2011

Also, as a side note, the "estimated miles driven per year" value that shows up on a CarFax was 2,508/yr on both reports. Which is mathmatically impossible considering that both reports have different total mileage. I believe the formula is (Total Miles)/(Time) = (Miles Per Year). Once again, mathmatically impossible for both reports to have same calculated number.... meaning that the CarFax he gave me was fake.

Also, to ppl in the forum who think I'm complaining of a difference of 3,000 miles..... I'm not. My problem is that if the guy was able to change it once, god knows how many times he changed it before. Because he changed it once, I can no longer believe any mileage discrepencies. The actually mileage of the car could be 100,000+ miles cause I have no idea. I certainly don't mean to make anyone here on the forum upset, but I wanted everyone to know where I was coming from.

Thanks in advance for all your help so far. Like I said, this guy f**ked me.
Should the dealer be able to see what the true mileage is by running your ecu?

OP-the seller could be honest about what happened with the odometer.
DMV had my bros accord at 140K miles when it was 90K. We knew it was 90K cuz the car had been in the family the whole time. mileage was messed up when we trasnferred it to my little sis and then back to my bro. DMV/people make mistakes.

title was issued in 3/2010 because thats when it was paid off and the current odometer reported by at the time.
Carfax ran the VIN on 7/7/2010 with 13K on the odo.

IF the wife made a mistake while transferring the title. (DMV requires the odometer reading in order to transfer the title and that was submitted on 7/7/2011 w 16K) thats what Car Fax will pick up.

its not for me to decide nor do i see the evidence to make a call. was the G a 2nd car for the owner for it to even have as little as 16k/13k miles?

and 3k miles on a 2004 car will make no change in value... thats 1 oil change. im in the auto fincance field so i see more than my fair share of KBB and nada guides to tell you 3k is nothing to change the value of the vehicle.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:51 PM
I appreciate the advice Joker.

So I realize that it's pretty easy to buy a new G35 speedometer/cluster on ebay for a few hundred bucks and install it yourself. Looks like the mileage is stored in the speedometer/cluster and doesn't reset after its installed.

I mean, technically someone could buy these all day long on ebay and change it every few years. Can any one confirm that I'm correct about the odo not resetting after a new cluster is installed??

Also, could there possibly be a part number on the backof the 'new' cluster that could/could not match up with other parts of the car?

Once again, your help is greatly appreciated. I doubt I'm the first person this guy has ripped of. I payed GOOD money for a car I thought had no accidents and had low miles.

Thank you again for your help.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:58 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
I'm suprised by everyone saying that I got a great deal on the car, when in reality there is no way to tell how many miles are on the car. From what I'm learning on this forum, it looks like its pretty common to roll miles back. Just becaue my car says 13,000 miles doesn't mean it has 13,000 miles.... that's the issue I'm having. There is something very fishy here and I just need to find out the truth about the mileage.

BTW, after about 10 voice mails, the previous owner is not calling me back.
there is no point of calling him, what do you expect him to do? You think you going to scare him into telling you the true millage on that G?

Here is how you can tell what millage is roughly has.

If it only has 13k on it then the tires should be original. That means that they have to be made prior 2004. Read the numbers on tires and see what year were they made. Size should be 225/50R17 Front 235/50R17 Rear or 225/45R18 Front 245/45R18 Rear. I'm not sure but I think it was Bridgestone Potenza RE050 that Gs came with.

Brake pads and rotors should also be original and fairly new. 13k miles is not allot for pads and there should be quite allot of life left in them.

If that G has much more miles on it than you were told, the first things that would be changed are tires and brakes. So look for scratches inside the wheel nut hole, those are the most common areas to be scratched up when removing the wheel.

No matter what you find it will be very difficult for you to go after this guy and get the money back

BTW.......How much did you pay for it?

The following users liked this post:
Joyride (06-13-2016)
Old 07-18-2011, 02:02 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
I appreciate the advice Joker.

So I realize that it's pretty easy to buy a new G35 speedometer/cluster on ebay for a few hundred bucks and install it yourself. Looks like the mileage is stored in the speedometer/cluster and doesn't reset after its installed.

I mean, technically someone could buy these all day long on ebay and change it every few years. Can any one confirm that I'm correct about the odo not resetting after a new cluster is installed??

Also, could there possibly be a part number on the backof the 'new' cluster that could/could not match up with other parts of the car?

Once again, your help is greatly appreciated. I doubt I'm the first person this guy has ripped of. I payed GOOD money for a car I thought had no accidents and had low miles.

Thank you again for your help.
I know this for a fact that nothing will reset the millage if you install new cluster.

My father in law recently replaced cluster on his Tundra truck (his went out) and the millage was not reset. It is all being stored in the cluster and nowhere else

Old 07-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Can anyone point me to a 'walkthrough' on how to remove a cluster on a 2004 G35 coupe?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP: Got ripped off with odometer rollback!!