G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Suggestions Please!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggestions Please!!!

So, I just recently purchased my first G. It is a 2006 G35 coupe 6Mt. The guy I bought it from is from AZ and he really spent some time and money on it. ( I was told 30,000$ ) but im not too sure about that. The car was in mint condition when I got it. I bought it in January of this year. It had 39,000 miles on it. 10,000 of them were boosted. The only problem now is... The motor has developed a hideous knock at start up... I have been told it is a rod. Which means... Im screwed... But I have talked to a service tech at Mike Ward Infiniti and he said my warranty is still in tact... Until 11/27/2011 The only problem is... that would mean tearing off all aftermarket mods... He said there can be no evidence of mods... expecially turbo... so I am looking to you guys for suggestions on what I need to do. We all know the Vq is an expensive motor... And if all goes well I will be getting mine replaced. But to what degree do I go to return the car back to stock?

Current Mods: ( to the best of my knowledge)
Utec piggy back programmer Turbo Xs
Full turbonetics system wwith stillen front mount
Full exhaust system... I assume from the motor back...
High flow fuel system and injectors
defi guage set and recorder
tons of suspension from form and function and spc... ( probably wont matter )

Anyways... Im new to this car and up until now I was super happy with it... but now I am just getting a little frustrated... any input would be of great help. This car means the world to me and I finally got it... And its having issues. Other than the motor... the car is perfect... but without the motor the car is nothing more than a dust collector. Help please. I am not opposed to looking into an aftermarket motor...but I would rather let infiniti foot the bill

Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The Infiniti rep told you there can be no evidence of mods, that would be impossible unless you have everything the previous owner removed....injectors etc. Find a qualified shop in your area and have them install a new short block and have the heads freshened....my best advice.
Gary

Old 07-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I talked tp the guy I bought it from and he is an **** bastard... he has all the old stuff. But the more I think about it... I may just have my shop do it. I work at a dealership and have a few friends in the back. I just wanted to let infiniti do it. I mean... how long do you think it would take to re install all the old stuff... send it off... get it back... and then re install all the mods? Probably not worth it. What do you think went wrong? I mean... I know you absolutely can not do anything but speculate... But at startup... It sounds awful for about two seconds... then is fine... Driving it... the motor is fine until it hits 2100 rpm and i get a slight "tick" that develops into a rattle at 3000 rpm. Then it goes away kinda... but now its getting louder

Old 07-19-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
wouldnt it cost more money to uninstall everything then reinstall it?

Old 07-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Thats what I am thinking. I just dont know for sure what to do... I could go with an aftermarket motor... I could have the techs at my dealership build it... would that be the best bet? All the guys here are tuners and Im sure it would turn out good. If I do go that route... should I do a long block... or just a re build... new pistons? Im guessing I have a rod knock so definately a new crank shaft? What parts should I put back in... and what should I do to prevent this in the future? My shop is more than capable of the work. We just built a 1000 hp Evo and the owner of the company... My friend... has a BMW M6 that they have done tons of work to

Old 07-19-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
If I were you I would get it priced out both ways, for your shop to remove all the turbo and components with that and the other for them to build replace the engine. You have to decide whether a new vq or something else.. I would say vq for simplicity and they can be had for pretty cheap.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM
What is an alternative to a VQ... because... I love the ride and as it is... was... it was fast as hell. But I dont want to keep having motor issues... Do you think a stock VQ can handle all the mods. If driven properly? And of course... I hammer on the car every now and then. I just want to fix this once and fix it right.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
stock internals just dont like boost too much. import parts pro. check them out. they have a nice longblock built just for boost applications. still a vq. G/L

Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Well if you want an alternative you can go v8 like I am lol.. If you want another motor tho I would gladly sell you my vq for 1500 + shipping.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by Jackus
Well if you want an alternative you can go v8 like I am lol.. If you want another motor tho I would gladly sell you my vq for 1500 + shipping.
how many miles? what kind of condition

Old 07-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by robfisherg35
What is an alternative to a VQ... because... I love the ride and as it is... was... it was fast as hell. But I dont want to keep having motor issues... Do you think a stock VQ can handle all the mods. If driven properly? And of course... I hammer on the car every now and then. I just want to fix this once and fix it right.
Hard to tell since you dont seem to know what kind of power it is putting out. It would be better to just get a new motor with some beefed up parts and not really have to worry. I would also make sure you check the tune to make sure it is decent.