G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What is this? HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whatever you decide to do don't get discouraged. The G is a great car overall but just like anything else there will be some bad apples in the bunch. I personally would sell the one you have, cut your losses and go get another G. I always feel like once you get that bad vibe from a car, it's time for it to go.
Good Luck...

Old 08-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by guidoguy
whatever you decide to do don't get discouraged. The G is a great car overall but just like anything else there will be some bad apples in the bunch. I personally would sell the one you have, cut your losses and go get another G. I always feel like once you get that bad vibe from a car, it's time for it to go.
Good Luck...
The thing is I really want to keep this car, it's my first car. I know that if I sold it now I wouldn't be able to sell it for much.

Another reason I want to keep it is because I got it for cheap. I'm hoping everything will be find after a new engine.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
In my opinion an engine would be the way to go. After reading how your problem happened I believe that the person who sold the car already knew there was a problem. I'd try and find an engine with some kind of guarantee. A year would be nice...sure could provide some peace of mind since installed your still looking at a pretty hefty investment. Just make sure the source is reputable. You've already been burned once.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:09 PM
The thing is I got a shop to look at it when I first got it, they said everything was fine.. besides the tires of course. Then 2 weeks later it passed inspection. Now this. I've got another question though.

Last night I wanted to make sure the radiator fans worked, so I let the car heat up to normal temp. Then I turned on the A/c and left it on for about 5 mins. The A/c was cold and was working perfectly, but both of the fans were off!!!???? I thought the fans is what blew the cold air

Old 08-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 03XG35
The thing is I got a shop to look at it when I first got it, they said everything was fine.. besides the tires of course. Then 2 weeks later it passed inspection. Now this. I've got another question though.

Last night I wanted to make sure the radiator fans worked, so I let the car heat up to normal temp. Then I turned on the A/c and left it on for about 5 mins. The A/c was cold and was working perfectly, but both of the fans were off!!!???? I thought the fans is what blew the cold air
If I'm not mistaken the fans only kick on when the car reaches a certain temp. As long as the gauge(unless its faulty) was reading normal temps I don't think its a whole lot to worry about.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
My fans had to be replaced couple of months ago. They were running, but at only half speed.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
I don't have my G35 as it is with the dealer having some warranty work done. I was under the impression when you turn on the AC button that both fans automatically turn on. I have a loaner G37 that I will test this theory on and report back. Anyone who has a G35 please go out and switch on your car and turn on the ac and see if both fans kick on as soon as you hit the AC switch.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Why would the fans that move air through the radiator turn on when the system that cools the interior of the car is switched on? They're two completely different cooling systems, cooling two completely diferent things.

The fans on the radiator should come on when the engine coolant temperature reaches a certain temperature. The only purpose of these fans is to draw air through the radiator to exchange heat from the coolant when the vehicle is hot and not moving fast enough for sufficient ram air to pass through the radiator.

The fans for the air conditioning/heating system will come on either when there is cooling or heating demand from the operator of the vehicle, and sufficient supply is available.

Or

When the fan is selected on in manual mode on the climate control panel.

03XG35, do yourself a huge favor and take a bus or cab down to your local library. Check out a couple of basic car mechanic books and read them cover to cover. Ideally this should be done before you get your car fixed or drive it again. A little basic understanding of how your car works before you get behind the wheel would probably have saved you from getting in the situation you're in now, and it will be beneficial in the future.

You'll only lose a few hours of x-box playing time.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
^^^a tad condescending, but good advice none the less.

or you can check out howstuffworks.com there is some seriously useful stuff on there. and most of it is pretty basic level stuff. they have a whole section for "autos"

just keep your head up and don't get discouraged. is it gonna suck? probably. is it gonna **** you off? more than likely. but the only thing that you can really do at this point is LEARN. i've said it before and i'll say it again, "it's expensive to be dumb." and i don't mean that you are dumb. what i mean is...there are a lot of people that pay lots of money for relatively simple stuff to be done because they don't take the time to learn it. like installing an outlet, or plumbing in a sink, or working on your computer. people will charge you and arm and a leg for doing that stuff, which with about a week or so of learning...you could do for a quarter of the price. granted, some stuff you don't have the facilities or equipment, then you are kind of at the mercy of the contractor.

perfect example...i don't have the facilities to paint my front bumper cover. BUT...i didn't just drop it off at the shop and come back to the pure sexiness on my car. i found a guy that would let me come in and hang out and watch and help out. so i'm still LEARNING.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
get rid of car, take bus /all of his threads

Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 what Irrelevent said.

I definitely think everyone is jumping the gun on blaming your "overheating" on a headgasket. a few "milky drops" on the dipstick is no where near enough diagnostic criteria. There are numerous other tests that must be performed before you spend thousands of dollars in repairs.

not to be rude, but its hard to give any advance advice when the OP seems to be lacking some fundamental knowledge. My suggestion is to take your questions and concerns to someone in person instead of on the internet.

Last edited by Neal376; 08-07-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Any shop can check for a blown headgasket w/o pulling the engine. You can do a compression test to test for leaks.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Irrelevant
Why would the fans that move air through the radiator turn on when the system that cools the interior of the car is switched on? They're two completely different cooling systems, cooling two completely diferent things.

The fans on the radiator should come on when the engine coolant temperature reaches a certain temperature. The only purpose of these fans is to draw air through the radiator to exchange heat from the coolant when the vehicle is hot and not moving fast enough for sufficient ram air to pass through the radiator.

The fans for the air conditioning/heating system will come on either when there is cooling or heating demand from the operator of the vehicle, and sufficient supply is available.

Or

When the fan is selected on in manual mode on the climate control panel.

03XG35, do yourself a huge favor and take a bus or cab down to your local library. Check out a couple of basic car mechanic books and read them cover to cover. Ideally this should be done before you get your car fixed or drive it again. A little basic understanding of how your car works before you get behind the wheel would probably have saved you from getting in the situation you're in now, and it will be beneficial in the future.

You'll only lose a few hours of x-box playing time.
Wrong and wrong. Your post, much like your username, is very IRREVELANT. I hate adding to this cynicism on this board, but don't post like you know everything. We're here to help people.

The fans will come on to move air past the condensor when the A/C system is on. How the fu** do you think the heat is transferred out of the cabin? They do come on when the coolant reaches 208* or something like that, but they also improve a/c performance at low speeds. The cooling system and the a/c may be two different systems, but they are heavily related when it comes to heat transfer, and, durhh... fans.

Maybe YOU should go to the library and check out a few books. I'm sure Forza can wait another day for you, too.

OP: I'm sorry about all your trouble, generally these cars are better than average for durability with a few minor quirks like bushings and oil consumption.

I would find a shop that is familiar with nissans and start from there. Find a used motor from an 03-05 g35 (sedan or coupe) or 03-05 350z. You can also have your motor rebuilt but I think that it's much cheaper to find a lower mile junkyard motor. Make sure the yard offers a warranty.

You're probably looking at $2-2.5g done correctly. That's being very generous with labor, too.

I doubt you finding another car is a better choice financially at htis point. Find a competent shop and hopefully you can resolve this issue.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by IIIHawKIII
^^^a tad condescending, but good advice none the less.
I agree with everything you wrote. Where I'm from, a man should be ashamed about not having a basic understanding about how the world works.

The condescension was thrown in because after reading all, and participating in some, of the OP's threads, I still don't quite believe he's not a troll.

I thought I'd try to balance offering some useful information with some good-natured ridicule to lighten things up.

Neal376 and Jibberjabbers also have some good advice. A blown head gasket or cracked head can also be suspected if there's steam coming from the exhaust while the engine is running.

If it were me, I'd perform a compression test, or find a local mechanic (any) who could do it if I didn't know how and have the proper tools. I'd discuss the problems I've been having, in detail, with the mechanic and ask his opinion.

Then I'd use the knowledge I've gained from investing time learning about how cars work to judge whether the mechanic's diagnosis was logical. If not, I'd question the mechanic directly to see why his opinion differs from what I'd expect. Worst case, I'd get a second opinion from another mechanic.

Nice work, faiz23, locating a number of potential replacement engines for the OP. You've identified a potential "worst case" solution for the OP.

03XG35, you need to start with the simplest possible solution to the problem and work your way up through more difficult solutions before you jump to the "nuclear option" of yanking the engine out and dropping another used engine in. Good luck.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the help everybody. For the people who post negative comment... I don't feel like going back and forth cause after all I'm the one with the problem so it's a waste of my time.

The following users liked this post:
faiz23 (08-07-2011)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.