G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

too old for this??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 86 Likes on 62 Posts
36 and just getting started. I just hope this old dog can learn some new tricks.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by xXThirty-FiveXx
Thats a asinine comment, never to old. And I thought my G ride was kinda classy, don't now what you think about your infiniti.
He hates his car, but nobody will buy it from him at KBB prices these days. Ignore the troll.....

Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
^He hates his car, but nobody will buy it from him at KBB prices these days. Ignore the troll.....

446 whp wow must be nice

Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^Its fun while its not in the shop

Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 PM
let me ask an old man question. I've been looking for rims and tire set ups and the ones that look the best look like they would rub front and back how does that work?

Old 09-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
LOL, I don't hate car. I just find it embarrassing to drive around in a ricer. But that's just me.

If you like driving around with blue LED lights illuminating the interior and and a skyline badge then that's all you.

Old 09-06-2011, 12:48 AM
Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts
I like blue

Old 09-06-2011, 07:44 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I like blue too, just not on my interior lights. I have plenty on the body panels to make me happy.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by messinax
I think it's all relative. I'm 39 and feel sometimes like "why the hell am I doing this. It's a young dudes game". Fun nevertheless, but still I feel a little old to be contemplating all the list of Mods one can do.

It also may depend on what field or career you're in. If you're a business dude and your co-workers roll into work in SUV's and 4 door Beemers, how would you feel rollling up in a dropped G with super loud exhaust and flashy rims? Others may belittle you and say "Act your age" or get an age appropriate ride. Some of my friends give me sh*t and say "Bro, you're not 20 anymore". I think they're just jealous to be honest with you.

Alot of things factor into your decision and only you will know if serious modding fits into your lifestyle. Personally for me, I did more aesthetic mods more than anything. For me, a more age appropriate ride like a BMW M6 is hopefully in my near future. Modding my G slightly will make me happy until I can pull the trigger on that beast of a ride. lol

Haha words of wisdom right there.

I will agree with almost everything you said except the part about a more age appropriate ride. I think the G fits the 30-50 demographic just fine, it's what the crazy kids to do their rides that makes the cars seem more immature in presentation. As I said before I mod with a clean theme. I have an exhaust for performance first, not sound. But it took 4 different trys before I found an exhaust that fits what I wanted; subtle sound difference with lots of go and I couldn't be happier thanks to Tony at Motordyne. It took 2 resonators on the VQ exhaust to get the sound I wanted, but damn she sounds good.

At the end of the day I'll say what I said before, an enthusiast is an enthusiast whether they're 16 or 60. And if people bang on you for what you've done but you like the car, fvck them.

The following users liked this post:
messinax (09-06-2011)
Old 09-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm 34, had this car since I was 28 and love modding it to this day. Just got a Vortech installed last month and am letting the good times roll. Have modded cars heavily since age 16: Maxima, BMW 325 is, Integra GSR, and EVO 8 right before the G.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear ya Blue Dream. Your part about "I think the G fits the 30-50 demographic just fine" is very accurate indeed. However, a 50 year old in a lowered G with ART Pipes might look a tad out of place unless he/she's a YOUNG 50! lol

Don't get in wrong, I LOVE my car and the Mods I've put into her and would do it all over again.

By the way..... What exhausts did you try out before you purchased the Motordyne? Which Motordyne did you pick? I'm looking into either a MD or Injen Ti Tip Track Edition Dual. The MD is probably $1500+ while the Injen $1000. Shoot me a PM if it's easier and doesn't hijack this thread. I'd like your input before I pull the trigger on either one. Thanks!

Last edited by messinax; 09-06-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Well then I consider myself a "young" 49 because I'm about to add ARTs to my arsenal, and I'm dropped about 3". Check out my garage for pics, I won't ***** them out here (although you can catch a couple of pics earlier in this thread so I guess I already did)

Since I drive a sedan this won't help you much but here's what I have gone through. After I bought the car I ran just an HR Y-pipe with the rest of my exhaust stock, then I added an HKS muffler and a coupe mid-pipe. While the HKS sounded great outside the car it had too much drone for me. So I switched out to my sedan mid and the noise quieted down a little but the drone was still too bad. So I sold the HKS and put my stock muffler back on with the CM and HR and the sound was great. A little louder than stock with a cool resonance in the cabin (not drone) and I rolled on that for about a year.

Then the urge to build more power hit and I went on the prowl for the Motordyne VQ sedan version. I figured it would be a long shot since Tony made only a few sets then quit production. I asked a couple of members that were contemplating selling theirs, but nothing solid so I thought "What the hell, just call Tony and see what's up" and lo and behold he still had the prototype VQ sitting in his shop so he sold it to me for a ridiculously low price. I got it with the resonated XYZ and a straight mid pipe. Slapped it on and while I really liked the sound it was still a little too loud, so I found a member that swapped me his resonated mid for my straight mid and it was magic. I drove from Austin to Dallas to do the swap and the drive home was magic. I finally found the sound I wanted (even though it took 2 resonators to produce it) and I got the quality and gains I wanted buying MD. The only disappointment I had was a loss of low end grunt which was to be expected going to 3" piping but the difference in top end acceleration more than erased the disappointment. The car pulls like a bat out of hell all the way to red line now. I am tuned with Osiris so that helps.

Enter the ART pipes. They will return the low end loss in droves and will fill out my complete MD exhaust from the headers back. the ARTs will also deepen the exhaust a little and a couple of members have reported they actually made their exhausts quieter. So for you I think the MD Shockwave would be your only option for a MD product but they're pretty loud. Tony made a VQ exhaust for the coupe but it's also long gone. A couple of our local members have the Borla on their coupe and it's real quiet until you open up and then it's still a lot quieter that the other aftermarket exhausts I've heard. And Borla is supposed to produce decent power gains as well, I've just never seen a dyno to prove it. That's what I like about MD, if Tony says Part X makes 20 HP it actually does. His stuff isn't cheap but it's worth every penny IMHO.

Let me know if you need anything else, the best way I can describe how my car sounds is it reminds me of a FX35/coupe on steroids. Still that sexy VQ warble, but noticeably louder with absoultely no drone anywhere or rasp.

HTH

Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks BD! Very informative and helped in my decision making. MD it is!

I can deal with loud. It's rasp I can't take. Am I cool there going with the Shockwave still?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
We have a local thats about 55 and rocks 19 burnt blue t1's, has just started breathing mods, and wants an exhaust. Its your car and as long as your secure do what you want. Besides isnt it the same as buying a loud vette or bmw at that age?

Old 09-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by messinax
Thanks BD! Very informative and helped in my decision making. MD it is!

I can deal with loud. It's rasp I can't take. Am I cool there going with the Shockwave still?
You'll be fine with the Shockwave. None of Tony's exhausts have any rasp, they're extremely well designed with a ton of R&D behind them. He is a retired rocket scientist you know. And no, I'm not kidding.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.