G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

MT seems like it's all over the place...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I felt like a mega noob when I test drove my car. The salesperson looked really uncomfortable and I stalled out not once, but twice. It is just so different from any other MT I have ever driven.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
i feel you my friends. i feel like a total r-tard when driving it. especially if i'm trying to jump off the start or anything aggressive. and the jump from 1st to 2nd is always a jerky mess. i feel like i have to feather the clutch an obnoxious amount if i want to be really smooth.

but on rare occasions i can get smooth shifts and i'm like "HEY I'M GETTIN THE HANG OF THIS..." then about 15 minutes later rough again.

i'm gonna go climb back into this obnoxious tiny hole and try and get these damned sensors loose. stupid clips.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:39 AM
figured it out. pinch the dark blue parts.....i actually took the actual sensor apart.......DOH.....hope it still works.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:48 AM
You are a brave one, I wouldn't go snooping around under there myself. I am sitting here trying to figure out how I can get this mod done. I used to take apart my Preludes and del sols all of the time, but I am just too nervous to take this car apart. Feels too nice.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:21 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by sprix
You are a brave one, I wouldn't go snooping around under there myself. I am sitting here trying to figure out how I can get this mod done. I used to take apart my Preludes and del sols all of the time, but I am just too nervous to take this car apart. Feels too nice.
These cars are easy. I have done two complete full color changes and another full repaint. Never had any wtf moments. Be thankful this is not a german car!

The following users liked this post:
sprix (09-05-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 AM
I WISH I COULD THANK YOU 27,429 TIMES.

hands down best mod on my car. oh man, COMPLETELY different clutch.

that little spring is the WHOLE problem. i've only took it out for about a 15 minute drive, but i was already getting much MUCH better, and i actually felt like "hey, i really DO know how to drive a manual!"

if you have ever thought that you were having trouble with your manual driving, i mean the tiniest little shred of doubt, you absolutely need to do this mod. it's amazing. feels like a totally different beast.

The following 3 users liked this post by IIIHawKIII:
faiz23 (09-04-2011), moto_za (09-04-2011), sprix (09-05-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Having the AC on will make our cars do this.... but I don't really have any issues with it when driving with no A/C on. It's a bit surprising that a 3.5 V6 with a pretty good amount of power has so much power sapped by the Air Conditioner. My Tacoma only has a 2.7 4 cylinder motor and I can't notice any difference at all when shifting on that thing with the A/C on.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Having the AC on will make our cars do this.... but I don't really have any issues with it when driving with no A/C on. It's a bit surprising that a 3.5 V6 with a pretty good amount of power has so much power sapped by the Air Conditioner. My Tacoma only has a 2.7 4 cylinder motor and I can't notice any difference at all when shifting on that thing with the A/C on.
I don't really agree that the AC makes a difference with this. I am sure that you possibly feel the difference with it on and off (I cannot), but the jekyll/hyde deal here is more than just that for me. Anything is possible, but that isn't what is going on with my car. I just need to perform this mod and see what happens.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:56 AM
sprix what's your issue? the same as i posted? just a difficult transmission to deal with? if so...you REALLY REALLY REALLY need to do this mod. it's an amazing transformation. i've spent more time in the car and had the GF with me and she even said it was noticeable.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^^I agree with the A/C comment. The additional draw causes the rpm's to drop a little faster changing the perfect shift point. I generally rev a little higher before shifting with the A/C on. And 1st to 2nd always is sporatic and unpredictable. sometimes smooth most times not... oh well

Old 09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 239 Likes on 159 Posts
Towards the AC Comment. You guys are close.. Our AC is pully is on a clutch.. when you're not using it it spins freely.. Once the AC is on the clutch engages.. thereby adding one more accessory for your G to pull. And yes your Alternator will need to generate more power but this is a electrical thing chances are your alternator is already engaged and generating power. So what you're feeling is an additional accessory (AC Compressor) engaged when you turn on your AC, not necessarily the alternator. Regardless, IMO you've gotta be pretty familiar with your car to notice the difference.

Another thing, our AC clutch automatically disengages when we're in WOT.. This gives us more power when we need it.. If you want a demo go find a nice empty road.. I mean go rent a test track.. and have your AC on then gun it.. eventually you'll feel the cool air stop being as cool but the blower motor will remain on.

- Eric

The following users liked this post:
sprix (11-02-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
+458,351 on the sporadic 1st to 2nd shift.

I try and get out of it around 2500/2800 and sometimes its smooth. Other times...lug...other times...jumps.

But the spring mod is helping a lot. I definitely feel like the shift points are more consistent and definitely more "learnable"

Old 09-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been reading these reviews on this mod for a while trying to decide weather I want to mess with it or not. Personally I feel when driving this car really hard like when on the track or a twisty mountain road it performs flawlessly, but trying to save gas and put around town with slower shifts at lower rpms I have trouble with notchy shifts, etc. Not that big of a deal but
1st to 2nd really bothers me sometimes.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:59 PM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Originally Posted by smoovarrowhead
I've been reading these reviews on this mod for a while trying to decide weather I want to mess with it or not. Personally I feel when driving this car really hard like when on the track or a twisty mountain road it performs flawlessly, but trying to save gas and put around town with slower shifts at lower rpms I have trouble with notchy shifts, etc. Not that big of a deal but
1st to 2nd really bothers me sometimes.
Do the mod and try it out for a week. If you do not like it then switch back to stock it is really not that hard. You spent more time thinking and reading the reviews than it would take to do the mod and find out first hand. It is free and I am sure you are off today on LABOR DAY.

Go to autozone and pick up some DOT 4 fluid and wd40. Take out the pedal and take it inside the house. Clean it and use the wd40 on it along with taking the spring out. Use a turkey baster and suck out all old fluid and replace with new fluid.

Then reassemble and drive the car around. When you come back suck out the fluid again and replace. Then do this everyday with the fluid till you run out of fluid. In the process you greased the pedal, flushed out fluid to 97% new content and made it easier to predict the engagement.

I love my first to second shift and can make it extremely smooth even when i shift at 2500rpms or lower. I can have it drop to around 1300rpms into 2nd and be nice and smooth.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dudes...if you're 50/50 about doing this mod you should do it. I've done it and the shifting still isn't the smoothest but it is better.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MT seems like it's all over the place...