G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

MT seems like it's all over the place...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
MT seems like it's all over the place...

ok, so i'm a pretty experienced manual driver, but i've not driven a high engagement point clutch like we have. i have an 05, for the record. most of my other stuff was in trucks.

i don't drive the car everyday. but i take it out most weekends. and i just feel like the shift points move around on me.

i try and drive smooth and relatively light on acceleration when the GF is in the car so her head doesn't flop around like wet noodle. and sometimes i am smooth and it's like i'm in an auto and other times its like it's my first day driving a stick.

same thing with when i'm driving aggressively. sometimes the shifts are nice and smooth and sometimes i get over rev, others under.

i try to pay attention to my revs and how long i've been there, but it seems like they are all over the place. i.e. running up to 3k in 3rd gear and stayin there for a second will give you more speed than if you are just running thru the gears as soon as you hit 3k.

take off is always different too. sometimes i feel like i over rev and other times i feel like it's gonna stall.

do i just need more practice or do you think there's a mechanical problem? never any grinding or slipping or rattling. maybe i'm a bit dim...i dunno. most of the other manuals i've driven i can be smooth in a couple hours and really feel like i know the tranny. (i hope i don't ever know a TRANNY though!!)

i'm thinkin about setting my shift light down to around 2500/3000 and seeing if that little visual clue will help me be more consistent.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Nothing you can do about it. High engagement point, notchy clutch, not so smooth ride.

Maybe convert it to a 5AT?

I came from a S2k, and shifting was smooth as butter. No need to think about it or anything.

With the G, you have to try really hard to get it to shift smoothly. Sometimes it works, most of the time just rough. Best way to step on the gas at the last minute since the engagement point is so high.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Received 290 Likes on 218 Posts
Do the clutch mod which is removing the spring, adjust pedal position and cruise control sensor. Along with fresh clutch fluid and using WD40 on clutch pedal should help you control the car a lot better. You will get a definite feel for when the clutch is engaging and know when to add throttle. I was jerky and all over the place but with removing the spring I was able to get it down really good and speed shift yet keep it some what smooth.

https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-diy...t-feeling.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...g-removal.html

The following 2 users liked this post by faiz23:
IIIHawKIII (09-04-2011), sprix (09-04-2011)
Old 09-04-2011, 12:41 AM
that first link, i'm going to do that in the morning.

thanks for the links. i did some searching in the drivetrain section, didn't think to look in the DIYs.

It's also nice to know that i'm not a complete retard and that other people have trouble with it too. it just seems like it moves around. i usually try to drive with my window down just for the added help of hearing the motor and it' still wacky.

boy oh boy, tomorrow could be the awesomes.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Of course keep us posted.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
I came from 2 S2000s, and I agree with you, jibber. The shift action there was always as smooth as butter. It is more effort without question to get this baby moving smoothly. I also HATE hills now. The clutch engagement point is so very high.

I need to just go out one day and spend all day driving around and practicing on hills again. I have always driven a manual transmission (since 16), but this car makes me feel like an amateur sometimes.

Sometimes, driving with the window down definitely helps to gauge what is going on. This car is so quiet and well insulated compared to other cars I have had, so I have a hard time feeling her out sometimes.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Yeah, if I'm driving when its hot with my windows up and music halfway loud...I'm terrible.

This is the first car I've ever kinda thought....wish I woulda got an automatic. Its just hard to get it to be second nature. The best transmission I ever had that was no "natural" to me was my 87 s-10. I always instinctively knew what gear to be in no matter what kinda driving I was doing.

I'm gonna do the mod here in about an hour.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Good luck with that. I am very new around here, so I am going to look into that as well. For clarification, what year model is your car?

Old 09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
You get used to it, its defiantly not smooth.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Originally Posted by naughty240
You get used to it, its defiantly not smooth.
Defiantly or definitely? I guess either one would work for the purpose of this discussion. I would say that if you are able to mod your way into a smoother ride, that would be the way to go. Why settle for a jerking and harsh ride if there is a way out?

Old 09-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is also another helpful mod for the clutch that helps with the engagement point. Just do a search you will find it. It the coin or the plastic mod. I did it and it helped a lot with shortening the distance you have to push the clutch.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Hey go easy I just woke up! LOL

I did one of the mods posted and no longer have a jerky ride. I have also had the car for a few years so practice makes perfect.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by naughty240
Hey go easy I just woke up! LOL

I did one of the mods posted and no longer have a jerky ride. I have also had the car for a few years so practice makes perfect.
Good point there- I guess I am just a little nostalgic for the shift action of my army of Honda mts. It is much easier and smoother. I will keep practicing.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:11 AM
ok...

so how the F do you unclip the sensors?!? i mean i see the little brown tab and where it clips into the black housing...but it seems like there is another one on the other side of the sensor and it is inaccessible!

i'm stabbing them with a screwdriver to get them to go in, but i can't get at the other side. do the little blue clips come out somehow?

sorry, i'm apparently retread...

Old 09-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I worked at a Nissan dealer for 8 years and drove all the various MT Nissan's. When I test drove my G I was expecting a Maxima type greatness from the tranny. I felt like a noob when I went on the test drive, it was rough.

Then there are the nights that I go out with friends and they drive my car home. I cringe because I know they will struggle a bit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: MT seems like it's all over the place...