G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

"Use The Search"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
There's absolutely nothing wrong with telling a noob to use the search, but if you don't point them in the right direction, you're just wasting your time. I always offer helpful search teams that I found useful before, or just go ahead a post the results of a search I did on the asker's behalf. It teaches them how to use the search tool, gently reminds them to use it, and gives them their answer.

I've had a few comeback and give me a hard time for suggesting they use the search, but all I had to do was point out that I gave them a direction to follow with search terms to try and/or a link or two.

If we all stop saying "use the search" I want newbies to stop getting pissed when I suggest they search for "5/16 install" as an answer to their question.

Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
I, and many others, don't mind helping noobs out if we see that they at least attempted to research the answers themselves before starting a thread. If your post shows that you put in a little leg work yourself, people will help just fine.

It's the noobs that literally only post "what's the best intake for our cars?", provide zero information regarding their car or what they expect out of the parts, that show us that they just want to be spoon fed all the answers. Those are the threads where you'll see all the deserved flaming.

Searching for something on the web or forum is kinda like a skill. I'm pretty good at finding things on my own, but I know people that don't know how to search the most simplest things on google. Just takes practice.

The following users liked this post:
Xet (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:07 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I've been a member of a lot of forums on different subjects over the years and there is a certain protocol expected by new members on every single one of them. As a new member seeking information (that's why we join these damn things right?), every forum has stickied threads at the top of each sub-forum that cover the most common topics discussed. It's expected that new members take some time when they join to read through these threads to find a lot of answers they are seeking. A few of the stickies even say in bold print "Read this before starting a new thread" for a reason.

Does that mean you can't as a n00b post a thread seeking knowledge? Hell no, but if you come in here and ask things like 'what's the best intake' or 'how do I get better gas mileage' you as a n00b will be flamed, plain and simple. What's even worse are the n00bs that start off a thread with the "don't flame me, I've searched" and then ask these same questions. It's clear that they know the expectation, but are either blatantly lying about searching or suck so bad at it it's sad because they want to be spoon fed their answers.

I understand wanting to get a fresh opinion but there's a catch 22 here. The threads like 'what's the best oil' end up being completely useless because everyone has their own opinion and eagerly share it w/o any proof to back up their claims. So you end up with a thread with thousands of replies and 3-4 of them actually offer a factual answer, not a personal opinion based on a guess. Do you really want to start that process over for the millionth time, it serves no useful purpose. Had a n00b just searched 'best oil' they would have come up with plenty of reading material to answer their question.

IMHO the best search function is Google as suggested with G35driver leading off the request. Almost all of the answers Google will come up with send you right back here, but with a more defined set of threads to help you. So you are getting the enthusiasts opinion, not a soccer mom's driving a Camry that doesn't know where the oil filter on her car is.

I really think the main issue is we live in an ever-increasing world where the "I want it now" mentality gets more prevalent by the day. I blame a lot of things for that; cell phones, where we are expected to be available 24/7, smart phones that are linked to e-mail and text messaging, social media websites where everyone sees your **** instantly, etc. ad nauseum. More and more young people are growing up expecting instant gratification because that's the way their life has been set up and they lose the value of working for something. That could be something as little as seeking knowledge on a car forum or as big as the parents of a 16yo giving them a brand new Corvette Z06 that the kid has no business driving with limited to no driving experience. And that's exactly where the main problem lies IMHO, in the parenting that's happening in a lot of households today. As busy as we all are, it's easy to shove the kid in front of the X box and let them stay at it for hours. But that's not parenting, it's baby-sitting and that's BS. I don't give a fvck how busy a parent is, their #1 priority in life is their child plain and simple. If it's not, they should have never had children. And then you have the younger parents today that have the entitled mentality I'm talking about. Think they are going to raise their kids any differently than they were? Not many will I guarantee it and then the exponential explosion of this attitude really hits hard. I'm not trying to say all young people think this way I've met some amazing people younger than 21, but that mentality is way more common than it was even as recently as 5 years ago. And that makes me sad, I see this as one of the things that indicate we should start to be concerned about the future of this country and its population. Imagine if every one of us was a selfish fvck that expected to be handed life on a silver platter, not a pretty sight is it?

SuperCleanG (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:14 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
/thread.

Xet (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts
+1000 ... this thread should now be done

Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I've been a member of a lot of forums on different subjects over the years and there is a certain protocol expected by new members on every single one of them. As a new member seeking information (that's why we join these damn things right?), every forum has stickied threads at the top of each sub-forum that cover the most common topics discussed. It's expected that new members take some time when they join to read through these threads to find a lot of answers they are seeking. A few of the stickies even say in bold print "Read this before starting a new thread" for a reason.

Does that mean you can't as a n00b post a thread seeking knowledge? Hell no, but if you come in here and ask things like 'what's the best intake' or 'how do I get better gas mileage' you as a n00b will be flamed, plain and simple. What's even worse are the n00bs that start off a thread with the "don't flame me, I've searched" and then ask these same questions. It's clear that they know the expectation, but are either blatantly lying about searching or suck so bad at it it's sad because they want to be spoon fed their answers.

I understand wanting to get a fresh opinion but there's a catch 22 here. The threads like 'what's the best oil' end up being completely useless because everyone has their own opinion and eagerly share it w/o any proof to back up their claims. So you end up with a thread with thousands of replies and 3-4 of them actually offer a factual answer, not a personal opinion based on a guess. Do you really want to start that process over for the millionth time, it serves no useful purpose. Had a n00b just searched 'best oil' they would have come up with plenty of reading material to answer their question.

IMHO the best search function is Google as suggested with G35driver leading off the request. Almost all of the answers Google will come up with send you right back here, but with a more defined set of threads to help you. So you are getting the enthusiasts opinion, not a soccer mom's driving a Camry that doesn't know where the oil filter on her car is.

I really think the main issue is we live in an ever-increasing world where the "I want it now" mentality gets more prevalent by the day. I blame a lot of things for that; cell phones, where we are expected to be available 24/7, smart phones that are linked to e-mail and text messaging, social media websites where everyone sees your **** instantly, etc. ad nauseum. More and more young people are growing up expecting instant gratification because that's the way their life has been set up and they lose the value of working for something. That could be something as little as seeking knowledge on a car forum or as big as the parents of a 16yo giving them a brand new Corvette Z06 that the kid has no business driving with limited to no driving experience. And that's exactly where the main problem lies IMHO, in the parenting that's happening in a lot of households today. As busy as we all are, it's easy to shove the kid in front of the X box and let them stay at it for hours. But that's not parenting, it's baby-sitting and that's BS. I don't give a fvck how busy a parent is, their #1 priority in life is their child plain and simple. If it's not, they should have never had children. And then you have the younger parents today that have the entitled mentality I'm talking about. Think they are going to raise their kids any differently than they were? Not many will I guarantee it and then the exponential explosion of this attitude really hits hard. I'm not trying to say all young people think this way I've met some amazing people younger than 21, but that mentality is way more common than it was even as recently as 5 years ago. And that makes me sad, I see this as one of the things that indicate we should start to be concerned about the future of this country and its population. Imagine if every one of us was a selfish fvck that expected to be handed life on a silver platter, not a pretty sight is it?

Old 09-18-2011, 01:27 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
95% of internet stats are made up.

Old 09-18-2011, 03:40 AM
Wings Nation

Received 625 Likes on 456 Posts
found this while searching the forum...
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
This drives me nuts.. Guys pop in and their first post is a question that has been asked and answered a million times over. Instead of taking some time to learn how a board works and who its members are, a few posts to introduce themselves, whatever, they run in and post the hundredth incarnation of the same question and here we go again.

My philosophy is this:

Give a man a answer, he's fed for that topic.

Teach a man to search, he's fed for a lifetime..

You can only throw out so many freebies before patience is exhausted. I read here and at other G35 forums for over two years before I started posting. I didn't own the car so really had nothing to contribute. I was concentrating on learning rather than taking up the time of those who had already taken THEIR time to learn.

I'm an ADMIN over at a movie board - have been for years now. Post count is in the 10s of 1000s. It's the same over there only the members over there are a lot less tolerant. If you step in the ring you better have your $hit together or you're gonna get nuked. Oddly, we have thousands of members and the topics rarely repeat. Even when they do it's more of nostalgic visit rather than 'same ole same ole..' Sometimes it's fun to talk about old things, just not every day.

While the search key here doesn't always result in the EXACT answer you're looking for, you generally learn more than you bargained for by picking through the threads looking for your jewel. If for some strange reason you don't find your EXACT answer, 9 times out of 10 you'll find enough to get you on the right track to continue learning elsewhere.

It's true, it only takes a minute to answer the question and move on, until you multiply that effort by how many times you have to do it everyday. I have only been a posting member here for a few months and I can see the repetitive nature of the BS. I can only imagine how the old-timers feel.

To me it's just another reflection of the 'gimme gimme, MTV sound clip, short-attention-span' attitude you see in society everyday and it's depressing. Few want to do any real work anymore. Most prefer to take the easy way and go from one handout to the next - their sense of 'entitlement' buried to the floorboards. Then again, maybe I'm just old and expect more out of people. I know, I know, fat chance.

There, now I feel better.

The following 2 users liked this post by bigc:
S 854 (03-17-2013), TannerG (09-19-2011)
Old 09-18-2011, 03:49 AM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Awesome. I found this thread by searching for "search". Everything seems to be wrapped up in a neat little package now... Whaha hahah HAAH!!!!

*cough*

Sorry..

Old 09-18-2011, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by bigc
found this while searching the forum...
haha good stuff Chris. I guess Gee and I think the same way, I'd be curious how old he is. Probably right up there with me. I'm surprised I have never seen his post, what thread did you find it in?

Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about, thread started a week ago and this was the OP:

Originally Posted by 03XG35
I have a 2003 G35 coupe, I have the issue with the Radio/Air conditioning. Where the radio does not work and the air conditioning stays on.

I want a flatscreen in the dash. Can somebody please lead me to links to everything I'd need.. Thanks

* Yes............. I used search*

I mean seriously, WTF???

Be scared for our future people, be very scared.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:56 AM
? = 2B || !2B

Received 851 Likes on 639 Posts
I think I'm going to bookmark Tim's post, and Bob's post quoted from another thread, and everytime some n00b asks a stupid question, I'm just going to post quots of those two

Old 09-18-2011, 11:09 AM

Ash I'd never seen Bob's post until Chris dropped it in here. Eerie how much we think alike and have the same observations on life as we know it.

I'd like to meet him in person some day. I have a feeling we'd get along just fine.

Old 09-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
haha good stuff Chris. I guess Gee and I think the same way, I'd be curious how old he is. Probably right up there with me. I'm surprised I have never seen his post, what thread did you find it in?

Here's a perfect example of what I was talking about, thread started a week ago and this was the OP:

I mean seriously, WTF???

Be scared for our future people, be very scared.

I didnt see that post but I would have got the flamethrower out!

Old 09-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Old 09-18-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
If you know what your looking for then searching is easy. Lurk on the forum and learn a few things rather then creating threads like this........

Last edited by herrschaft; 09-18-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by SuperCleanG
I didnt see that post but I would have got the flamethrower out!
here are his 2 latest threads, flame on

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...head-unit.html

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-cou...t-oil-get.html

Remember this is the OP of this thread we're talking about..........

Last edited by Blue Dream; 09-18-2011 at 06:21 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.