G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Buying a G35 Coupe...what would you guys do here?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buying a G35 Coupe...what would you guys do here?

Hey all, I am new to the G35 world but am pretty much set on buying a G coupe for my next car. Im trying to buy ASAP, but it needs to be the right car. As of right now I am looking at 3 different G's, I will break them all down for you and explain each car. My situation is easy, the cheaper the better, but you get what you pay for. So I want to make sure I get the best car at the best price. I don't want any junk. I am on a budget so every dollar counts.

Right now I can get either of the 3 follow:

2003 G35 Coupe, with sport package. 128,000 miles. Color is laser red, has the upgraded Brembo brakes, the rear spoiler. 6 Speed manual, intake, throttle body spacer. He does have all of the stock intake parts. Very clean. Just bought new head lights both left and right.( so they are crystal clear), H.I.D bulbs. He tells me the car has some scratches here and there, some scuffs here and there, but nothing major, nothing extreme. Typical wear a car with 128k would have. He said the drivers window regulator is acting up and the windows needs help going up. He originally said his bottom dollar is $8k, then when he heard me sound not too interested he said he is ready to go down to $7500. So I assume I can get this car for $7k, maybe even a few bucks less.

The next is a 2004 Coupe 6mt with 96k. Car is dark grey and seems to be in pretty good shape. No mods, bone stock. He has 2 extra rims that go with the car (stock 19's). Im not sure if this car has the sports package or not (Does it b/c it has the 19's?). Everything is in working order. This car I am pretty much ruling out JUST for the fact of the color. I do NOT like silver cars, grey car, etc. I actually sold my old Evo 8 because it was silver if you can believe that. I just feel I would not be happy in this car, silver is just too meh...Can get for $8500 I believe.

The last is a 2003 coupe 6mt with 86k It is black on black with the sports package. ORIGINAL OWNER. Everything works, car is mint. He also has extra rims that go with the car. This car seems to be the cream of the crop, I think this is the car I want. However im not sure how entirely willing he is to work with me. I originally wanted to offer $8500 but he is not interested in that, I am not too interested in spending more than $9k and im not sure he will even accept that. I feel $9500 will be his bottom dollar and I know its "just" a $500 difference, but like I said earlier, every dollar counts. I then have to register blah blah tack on another $500 in the end I will spend well over $10k on this car.

My last option is to just keep waiting. Keep waiting for the next "right" car to come along. Its just hard because I would like to get into something ASAP and don't like being without a car.

So what would you guys do:

Would you buy the red one, with higher miles and a little dinged up for $7k
Suck up the color of the next one and just enjoy it for what it is for $8500
Buy the mint original owner one for $9k+
WAIT

ALSO IF ANY OF YOU GUYS HAVE A G COUPE FOR SALE IN THE NORTHEAST AREA TELL ME! MUST BE 6MT, CLEAN TITLE, NO ISSUES. Clearly you see my price range, cheaper the better but I need a quality car. $7-8500 is ideal. PM or 570-856-5011 anytime.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
i'm not sure u can buy a QUALITY Honda in that price range.. Save your money, wait it out, and get yourself a lower mileage g... you will save money and be happier in the long run..

Old 10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
wow i love those prices i would have jumped at the last one in socal or even the DG one.. the dark grey is one of the best colors in my opinion and it was my first choice when i was looking for cars. just look around here for pics and you may end up reconsidering

the red one doesn't seem like a good deal even for california prices

my vote goes to the 86k mile one or just keep looking

good luck!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:12 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
The last coupe is a good deal. The silver one is good but you don't like the color. So i say either suck it up and buy the last one or wait for something better to come along. That is a good price for that G.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly I would just say suck it up and buy the black one. It's still an amazing deal. When I was searching a few months ago I couldn't find one for under 13k and they all had relatively high miles. I found one for 11k black/black 6mt with 77k and jumped on it and the next day found out the piston rings were shot. At least with that car you probably can find out all the service history with just one owner. BUY IT!!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
No, none of the above! All the cars you posted have way to much mileage, you don't want to spend all your $$ just to keep em running. Save your cash until you can afford a G with less than 50K miles and comes with service records and a clear CARFAX, that should be your objective! We've seen '04s with less than 25K miles recently, just keep looking....
Gary

Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
No, none of the above! All the cars you posted have way to much mileage, you don't want to spend all your $$ just to keep em running. Save your cash until you can afford a G with less than 50K miles and comes with service records and a clear CARFAX, that should be your objective! We've seen '04s with less than 25K miles recently, just keep looking....
Gary
86k is not that many miles considering some members have 180k+ miles on their G and still running strong. He is on a budget and that is a dam good deal for that car. If that were in the carolinas, it would go for about 13k. So go for it if you can or wait until you see something you cant live without lol.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:02 PM
I think I may end up waiting this one out. You can EASILY get a quality G for these prices, these cars depreciated like hell and thats just unfortunate for the people who have spent quite alot of money on these cars, but good for me! This isn't my first rodeo and isn't my first "nice" car, I feel with the money I am looking to spend you are by far getting the most car for your dollar with the G35.

I just spoke to the owner of the black/black one and he wants to give his ad a bit more time to run before he accepts my offer, which is definitively understandable. The red one I feel will just end up a head ache and I wont be happy in it, although it is a pretty damn good price. The other I just dont like the color, simple as that.

Type in G35 coupe on craigslist and search, there are TONSSS of them for well under $11,000, I am in not position or market to get the lowest mileage one available. To be honest that doesn't really even concern me. Under 100k would be better though, I am not planning on spending top dollar for one with 50k when I can get the same car with 90k for THOUSANDS less. These are good cars and will hold up, I have been seeing TONS of them with 150k plus on them with no issues! I am not afraid of a 100k mile car.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I agree with GaryC, though I don't know how realistic it is to expect to find an early model G with much less than 50,000 miles. My '04 just hit 60,000 miles, and for an eight year old car, that's reasonably low. If the OP is on such a tight budget to begin with, what happens when a widow motor goes out, or the tires need to be replaced? If the OP has the ability to save a couple hundred dollars a month to build a maintenance fund, it might be okay, but it'd be wiser to have $500-$1000 in that fund before he/she bought the car.

I don't think the last one is a bad deal at all, but the first one I probably wouldn't be interested in. I figure these cars are good for 180,000 miles before one really needs to think about replacing them. That number will be different for each of us, but that's my number. A car that already has 130,000 miles on it is only three or four years away from hitting that number. I'd much rather pay the extra $2,500 to "buy" an extra 44,000 miles of use...easily six to eight years before the car hits my 180,000 mile "end of comfort zone". Plus, the last car appears to be in excellent shape, as described to us, so it's more likely the owner took good care of it.

Good luck with your decision, OP.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
I would never buy a car you don't like the color of...

Old 10-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The last deal is actually pretty good considering it's a mint 03 with 86k miles and original owner.. What else can you ask for? Besides, buy it for $9500 and sell the extra rims to balance your budget.

Another way to save money in this deal would be to have the seller sign a bill of sale and odometer statement saying he sold it for considerably less then $9500 so you can save on taxes.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Mirror problem in 05 you describing is very easily fixable.

All you need to do is to clean the brushes on the motor and you back in business, if problem is serial you might need to replace them, they cost $3.50 or something.

More info round here https://g35driver.com/forums/body-in...l-removal.html.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
mint 03 coupe still kbb's at 12 so thats about right especially since its under 100k

Old 10-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Please remember, if any of you guys have a 6mt coupe for sale on the east coast dont hesitate to let me know! I am located in PA but will travel for the right car. NY/NJ/CT/MD/VA/CT/MA anywhere within 500 miles I'd say. Must be 6mt, good conditions, everything must work, clean title. I am ready to buy!!!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those sound like decent deals.

I just purchased an 04 6mt with navigation, sun roof, all the bells and whistles. The carfax came back that it was a 1 owner car and had 88k miles on it. I took it to a mechanic before I bought it and he said the car looked like it was brand new.

I got it for 12k and thought it was a good deal. I'm sure I paid a little high based off of the prices coming down but my sister works for capital one and said that the NADA value on the car was still higher than what I paid for it.

Anyway, love the car. I've had it for about 2 weeks now and it's great. Getting ready to drive it 400 miles down to Orlando. Which will be the real test for it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a G35 Coupe...what would you guys do here?