G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

OEM Grille looking janky, recoating options?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by cameronb
please dont "just paint it flat black". Either color match to your car, have it dipped, or im pretty sure that used grilles come and go pretty often on here.
You realize almost every single grill you see members on here with is rattle canned? I personally ran flat black for awhile, but decided satin looked much better and switched to that. A properly rattle canned grill isn't going to look much different from a professionally painted one, and professional paint or dipped (I'm hoping you mean profession dip not plastidip) is a total waste of money on something as small as the grill that will get dinged up while driving.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I realize that most grilles on here are rattle canned flat black and It looks cheap and janky, especially on a car that is not black. I am aware that you can color match your factory paint with a rattle can, yes that is fine. I wont plasti-dip anything on my car. When I say dipping, I am referring to hydro image transferring, which is just as durable as your factory paint.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
What is this word "Janky" that everyone keeps using here?... I feel like you're trying to say Junky, but got lost along the way or ad-libbed a bit.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
You realize almost every single grill you see members on here with is rattle canned? I personally ran flat black for awhile, but decided satin looked much better and switched to that. A properly rattle canned grill isn't going to look much different from a professionally painted one, and professional paint or dipped (I'm hoping you mean profession dip not plastidip) is a total waste of money on something as small as the grill that will get dinged up while driving.
I don't care if it is rattle canned, myself. I am thinking of doing grigio silverstone (a ferrari color another member did and has FS in the classifieds). It is a subtle grey that I may do my headlight shrouds to match, but I feel it would contrast too much to my OEM Rays.

I'm definitely not going flat black. You can't polish it

Originally Posted by cameronb
I realize that most grilles on here are rattle canned flat black and It looks cheap and janky, especially on a car that is not black. I am aware that you can color match your factory paint with a rattle can, yes that is fine. I wont plasti-dip anything on my car. When I say dipping, I am referring to hydro image transferring, which is just as durable as your factory paint.
Yeah, but I don't wany graphics on my grille. I suppose you can do a solid dip, but at that point the cost seems like it would approach OEM grille territory.

Originally Posted by partyman66
What is this word "Janky" that everyone keeps using here?... I feel like you're trying to say Junky, but got lost along the way or ad-libbed a bit.
Janky? I learned it two years ago. A prinicipal from a local school told me all her kids were using it. I dunno. We were hiking.

My current plan is to actually do nothing. I waiting for my bumper to get here, I'll paint it and see where that gets me. This thread left me more confused.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Flat black looks good, so does satin. Its up to the owner what they like. Personally I hate chrome, so blacking out the grill was a must, soon to come are the headlight shrouds.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
or u can do it for like 5 bucks. take out the grill and the Emblem. Go and buy some Plasti-dip for like 4-5 dollars and do 5 coats with a 30 min break in between. Looks really good and it doesnt chip easily.

Old 02-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
gonna bring this back just in hopes someone is still subscribed who did this and has had good results with it holding up. Im gong to do my grill gloss black..did anyone sand between coats of color or after it was cleared and buff? or did u just sand, spray primer then spray color then spray clear and done?

Old 02-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by tylerxfire
gonna bring this back just in hopes someone is still subscribed who did this and has had good results with it holding up. Im gong to do my grill gloss black..did anyone sand between coats of color or after it was cleared and buff? or did u just sand, spray primer then spray color then spray clear and done?
I did the latter. Came out good, held up pretty well for a couple months. But now theres a couple chips here and there (my driving is highway 75%) so i gotta re do it soon/when i stop being lazy

Old 02-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
eww on the color matched stuff. id be interested to see black chrome tho. ive never seen that finish on the grill before.

Old 02-01-2012, 04:18 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
lol that's the color of the stock grill.........

Old 02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts
The stock grille is regular chrome, no?

Old 02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Received 484 Likes on 430 Posts
^thats wat i thought and thats wat it looked like to me before i blacked mines

Old 02-01-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My personal opinion is to go either gloss or flat black. Don't color match. Also consider painting your headlight bezels to match to grille. Just DIY, rattle can style. Save yourself some money. The job will look as professional as you make it. Don't rush it. This is an all day project because of dry time. Also, making sure you work in a clean environment is very important.

Scuff (light sanding to promote adhesion), sand to smooth if needed, wash, dry, prime, sand to smooth if needed, several light coats until solid letting fully dry in between each coat, sand to smooth if needed, last coat paint, clear coat if desired (I didn't).

Current: Gloss black grille, OE chrome Mt. Fugi.

Previous: Gloss black grille, and Mt. Fugi.

Previous: Flat black grille, OE chrome Mt. Fugi.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Any more pics of the all black (inc mt fuji) grill on your car?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
ya i only like the gloss black.

this sound good?
sand with 400 grit..should i wet sand or dry sand?
spray a few light coats of primer (gray or black?
spray 4-5 light coats of gloss black..i planned on getting the krylon gloss black which is great for plastic, says it doesnt need primer but im still going to unless most say its not needed
then shoot it with few coats of clear and done

does this list of things look good?http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...&storeId=10151

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: OEM Grille looking janky, recoating options?