Parasitic Draw

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2011 | 04:38 PM
|
Parasitic Draw

hey guys,

I have a 2005 G35 Coupe.

I have had it for 3 years and it has run with no problems.

As of 3 weeks ago, the car won't start and there is no power. Checking the battery, it has been drained. I got a new battery that same day and it ran normally for 1 week. I didn't drive it for 2 days, and on the day after that, the car wouldnt start and the battery was dead. Checked the battery again and it may have been bad, so got a new one. ONE week later, with the same circumstances, the car won't start= battery dead again.

I have taken it to 2 different shops and now its at the dealership, and no one seems to know the problem and can't figure it out.

They have checked all the batteries, the starter, the alternator, no one seems to know.

The only thing NOT stock about the car is the stereo, and that was disconnected.

Any suggestions or anyone have this problem before?

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2011 | 05:37 PM
What kind of voltage are you getting from the electrical system when the car is running?

It should be somewhere between 13 to 14.5 volts.

The times the battery was dead, was it only dead after a prolonged period of sitting.... as in being parked overnight or another 8+ hour period of being parked with the engine off?.... or is it more of a situation where you drove the car, parked it, and then it wouldn't start either immediately or something like 20 minutes to an hour or 2 later?

The times the car was dead... how did you get it going again? Did you jump-start/pop-start it, and then let the alternator charge your battery back up(as opposed to just replacing the battery or using an Wall-AC powered battery charger to recharge your battery)?.... and if you jump or pop started it, were you able to start the car with power from the battery (without the assistance of another jump-start) after letting the car run for enough time to which it should have recharged the battery from the alternator?

Do you have an aftermarket security system in your car?

Make sure you have any auxiliary devices unplugged from your cigarette lighter ports, such as portable audio devices and portable navigation units.

Last edited by partyman66; 11-14-2011 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lvadubs (11-15-2011)
Old 11-14-2011 | 05:40 PM
That happen to me but it didn't die that quick I didn't drive the car for a few weeks. And the battery was dead, what happen in my case was that I had n iPod connection that was drawing power the whole time I had n iPod connected

The following users liked this post:
lvadubs (11-15-2011)
Old 11-14-2011 | 05:43 PM
|
Ill have to check on the reading...

and as for the day the battery is dead,

i would basically park the car on friday at 5 pm, then not drive it or turn the engine on until the following monday at 7 am. and the battery would be completely drained.

if i parked the car (with engine off) for a 12 hr period, it would start the next morning.

Old 11-14-2011 | 06:02 PM
|
The times the car was dead... how did you get it going again? JUMPSTART.

Did you jump-start/pop-start it, and then let the alternator charge your battery back up? YES
.... and if you jump or pop started it, were you able to start the car with power from the battery (without the assistance of another jump-start) after letting the car run for enough time to which it should have recharged the battery from the alternator? YES. and then it would start fine the next day. however, after sitting with the engine off for 2 days, it would not start again.

Do you have an aftermarket security system in your car? NO.

Make sure you have any auxiliary devices unplugged from your cigarette lighter ports, such as portable audio devices and portable navigation units. NO, it has all been unplugged...

Old 11-15-2011 | 03:12 PM
|
okay,

so after 5 days at the dealership, they said they found the problem. apparently the car seat mechanism (underneath the drivers seat) was causing a short. they said it was intermittently sucking energy and causing the drain.

they have quoted us $1600 (labor + parts) to replace the seat mechanism.

does this sound familiar to anyone? does it seem worth it?

Old 11-15-2011 | 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by lvadubs
okay,

so after 5 days at the dealership, they said they found the problem. apparently the car seat mechanism (underneath the drivers seat) was causing a short. they said it was intermittently sucking energy and causing the drain.

they have quoted us $1600 (labor + parts) to replace the seat mechanism.

does this sound familiar to anyone? does it seem worth it?
Screw that.. I'd just adjust the seat to where you want it, and then unplug the seats wiring harness from the rest of the car. Hopefully that won't cause any problems with your side-impact airbags deploying from the seat in the event of an accident, and you would probably also lose your heated seat functionality in the drivers side.

If you need to move your seat, you'd need to plug it back in and move it to where you want it, then unplug it again. This would pretty much eliminate your ability to have passengers get in the back seat through the drivers side though, because your drivers seat won't automatically move forward when you flip the back up.

The following 2 users liked this post by partyman66:
lvadubs (11-15-2011), thepro78 (11-15-2011)
Old 11-15-2011 | 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by partyman66
Screw that.. I'd just adjust the seat to where you want it, and then unplug the seats wiring harness from the rest of the car. Hopefully that won't cause any problems with your side-impact airbags deploying from the seat in the event of an accident, and you would probably also lose your heated seat functionality in the drivers side.

If you need to move your seat, you'd need to plug it back in and move it to where you want it, then unplug it again. This would pretty much eliminate your ability to have passengers get in the back seat through the drivers side though, because your drivers seat won't automatically move forward when you flip the back up.
That's what i would do.