G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Experience with rear facing subwoofer enclosures?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012 | 12:26 PM
|
Experience with rear facing subwoofer enclosures?

Hello all. I am looking to install an aftermarket subwoofer and amplifier in my 06 G35 coupe and was wondering if anyone had any good/bad experiences with this product.

http://subthump.com/Infinity-Sub-Box...Enclosure.html

I am kind of skeptical about purchasing this one simply because it is not ported. I will be installing this subwoofer with it

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/swr-1243d/

I AM NOT LOOKING TO INSTALL A SIDE MOUNT TRUNK ENCLOSURE. To me, a side facing subwoofer hitting the other side of the trunk would not be as loud (again, to ME) as a front facing subwoofer. I could be wrong because I haven't had heard a side facing one either.

Lastly, has anyone found any front facing enclosures for a 12 inch subwoofer (round or square)? I googled and was able to find only side mounts and rear facing. A custom box is not optional as it would get kind of expensive around here...

Thank you in advance for your responses and I hope you guys have a nice day.

Old 01-08-2012 | 12:51 PM
My friend has that enclosure. Not sure if it's from that company or not. Fitment is good and looks very nice. You don't need a ported box. I think he has a kicker cvr 12 in it and it's freggin loud.

Old 01-08-2012 | 12:54 PM
Oh yea, I had side mounted enclosures in my 300zx but that was hatchback so I guess I can't comment. It was just as loud though. I think rear facing is best so it's exposed to the open air in the trunk. Unless you were going to fold your seats down? Either way, you will be happy if you purchase those two items. Goodluck

Old 01-08-2012 | 01:14 PM
|
Well if I had luck finding a front facing enclosure I would fold the back seats down but even with this rear facing enclosure I would probably see what it would sound like with the seats down. Thanks for your response and hopefully we'll hear other people chime in.

Old 01-08-2012 | 02:18 PM
Its all preference, I have had both front and rear facing enclosures, and both sealed and ported. I personally prefer sealed boxes because they sound better in my opinion, and I like forward facing subwoofers better(as long as the seats are down). I however havent seen pre made forward facing boxes for sale. A custom box wouldnt be too pricey for just one subwoofer or you could just buy a regular box and fit it if thats an option.

Old 01-09-2012 | 04:09 PM
|
Yeah the problem is that I haven't found any front facing enclosures for this vehicle and a couple of places around here are quoting me 3-4 hours labor to make a damn box at roughly $80/hour which is retarded to me but it's business.

Bump for more experiences and options.

Old 01-09-2012 | 06:00 PM
A rear facing enclosure will be louder than a front facing, plus if you have the seat down you won't hear the air movement from the woofers. I've had a few ported and or forward facing boxes in various vehicles. The only boxes I make now are sealed and rear fire.

The following users liked this post:
MrTiToG35 (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012 | 09:47 AM
I have that enclosure with a single 12" and beats. I wouldnt be worried about it as long as you have a nice driver and a nice amp.

Low frequency sound waves are omnidirectional.

Old 01-10-2012 | 03:14 PM
Theoretically, sub bass in not directional. If you can truly sit in a car and correctly guess which direction a sub is facing, you have super sonic hearing. Otherwise, it's simply a psycological misconception. Aside from that fact, the majority of sub enclosures out there are rear-facing....so I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, I installed custom car audio profesionally for 5+years.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jhambor:
KnowScott (01-10-2012), MrTiToG35 (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012 | 11:04 PM
|
Originally Posted by KnowScott
I have that enclosure with a single 12" and beats. I wouldnt be worried about it as long as you have a nice driver and a nice amp.

Low frequency sound waves are omnidirectional.
What kind of setup do you have if you don't mind me asking? I posted the link to the subwoofer I will be installing and the link for the amp is here:

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrp-m500

Originally Posted by Jhambor
Theoretically, sub bass in not directional. If you can truly sit in a car and correctly guess which direction a sub is facing, you have super sonic hearing. Otherwise, it's simply a psycological misconception. Aside from that fact, the majority of sub enclosures out there are rear-facing....so I wouldn't worry about it. BTW, I installed custom car audio profesionally for 5+years.
Thanks for this information.

Old 01-11-2012 | 08:16 AM
I have that box but I got it from somewhere else I cant remember buts its a good box

Old 01-11-2012 | 08:56 AM
a rear facing sub or rear firing ports would be louder regardless. Bass gets louder and smoother after it bounces off something before actually reaching your ears. Thats a big reason downward firing boxes have blown up over the past years is because of the sound actually bouncing off the floor.

Sealed will be smoother better sounding bass, vented will be louder but not as good sounding.

Old 01-11-2012 | 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by MrTiToG35
What kind of setup do you have if you don't mind me asking? I posted the link to the subwoofer I will be installing and the link for the amp is here:

http://alpine-usa.com/product/view/mrp-m500

Thanks for this information.
https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-v...-overhall.html

Old 01-11-2012 | 11:49 AM
|
HOLY SHIET! You went all out in the audio department huh?!

Now I'm wondering if the sub I'm looking to install won't sound as loud as I want to just like the JL you had... But since I have the sub and amp already I might as well give it a shot.

Old 01-11-2012 | 11:50 AM
|
Originally Posted by 2one8
a rear facing sub or rear firing ports would be louder regardless. Bass gets louder and smoother after it bounces off something before actually reaching your ears. Thats a big reason downward firing boxes have blown up over the past years is because of the sound actually bouncing off the floor.

Sealed will be smoother better sounding bass, vented will be louder but not as good sounding.
That's the main reason why I wanted a ported box over a sealed one since it's going in the trunk and the link to the enclosure seems like it would seal off the trunk from the cabin... We'll see how it goes though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Experience with rear facing subwoofer enclosures?