G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Painting stock 05 bumper 'grill holes'?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2012 | 10:52 AM
|
Painting stock 05 bumper 'grill holes'?

This is for a coupe. I've searched and searched, but I can't find anywhere that someone has painted their bumper holes black to emulate the look of the nismo bumper with the openings painted black. I'm not just talking about the mesh behind the holes, I'm talking about the area that comes further forward from the mesh...(sorry I don't know the technical name of it) It could be done tastefully without a definitive line already existing on the stock bumper, but I really wanted to see it before I tried it. Anyone ever seen it or maybe know where a pic is?

The reason I'm asking is because the Nismo bumper is so sweet looking with those inserts painted black on a DG Coupe, but the Nismo is both hard to find in DG, and out of my price range to buy and then paint. I plan to go gloss black on the grill and rear diffuser, and I think the black insert holes would bring it together a bit more. Thanks!

Here is my car now for reference. (Caliper paint and spacers are in my near future) (and if anyone has that freaking tow hook cover in DG, I will buy it RIGHT NOW)

Old 01-15-2012 | 11:08 AM
Why not do the job right? You have the license plate holes in your bumper and missing the tow hook cover. Search Google for the tow hook cover and buy one, have a bodyshop fill the holes and repaint your bumper with the black lower grill holes you want. That way you'll be perfect and the job done right....
Gary

Old 01-15-2012 | 11:53 AM
|
I can do all the work myself. I have a lot of experience with with detail paint. I wanted to see it before I do it, so that's what my question was about. I have searched for weeks on google, ebay, craigslist, this site, and all other sites like it for a DG tow hook cover, and can't find one. I can find the non painted ones all day long, but then I would need the specialty paint to match the DG, and that's the only thing that stops me. I live in a very rural area. There are not shops that will be able to make the paint or paint a tow hook cover for me at a decent price, so I will just hold out til one comes along. For now, my question still stands about if anyone has ever seen done what I describe in my original post or by chance, can find a pic of it.

Old 01-15-2012 | 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by kevvsworld
I can do all the work myself. I have a lot of experience with with detail paint. I wanted to see it before I do it, so that's what my question was about. I have searched for weeks on google, ebay, craigslist, this site, and all other sites like it for a DG tow hook cover, and can't find one. I can find the non painted ones all day long, but then I would need the specialty paint to match the DG, and that's the only thing that stops me. I live in a very rural area. There are not shops that will be able to make the paint or paint a tow hook cover for me at a decent price, so I will just hold out til one comes along. For now, my question still stands about if anyone has ever seen done what I describe in my original post or by chance, can find a pic of it.
You can buy the paint for cheap online and it will match your dg. I have a dg and have painted the grille and inlets but didn't paint out like you are asking. The only reason I even painted the inlets is bc the previous owner painted them dg. Looks much better now. I don't think painting outside of those inlets will look good IMO.

Old 01-15-2012 | 12:44 PM
|
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure if it will look good with the outside of the inlets painted either, that's why I was looking for the pic. Here is why I even considered it in the first place...Nismo with those inlets painted really sets it off for me. I just love it.

Nismo without painted holes.

Nismo with painted holes.

Last edited by kevvsworld; 01-15-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-15-2012 | 12:48 PM
The nismo bumper has well defined lines that makes it look better. Oem bumpers are all rounded so that's why I think it won't look good.

Old 01-15-2012 | 03:25 PM
Ive seen a few people on here do it, I think two different DG coupes. Cant remember where I saw the pics but it looks ok... I think it looks out of place since the Nismo is more flat than curved like the stock bumper.

Old 01-15-2012 | 04:15 PM
To do it correctly, need to be taped off, painted black, and then the entire bumper cleared. To do it cheap and easy, tape it off, rattle can it, done.

+1 for being a good time to have a body shop do the whole job correctly though...fill the plate from holes and throw a tow hook cover on there. Obviously will probably cost you a couple hundred bucks though vs. the cheap and easy route costing a few bucks.

Old 01-15-2012 | 06:07 PM
Or you can just get Blue Batmobile's front inlet overlay.

Here's a link.Blue Batmobile

You're welcome.

Old 01-15-2012 | 07:10 PM
|
Originally Posted by chsieh

You're welcome.
And thank you sir. This is exactly what I was talking about. I don't think the overlays will be the glossy surface that I'm looking for, but thanks for the link anyway. I followed it and got to look at more pics like the one you posted. Thanks again!

Kev

Old 01-15-2012 | 07:51 PM
Painted mine, did the rear too.

Old 01-15-2012 | 09:06 PM
|
Sweet, thanks for the pics! I can definitely tell that I want to keep the paint on the inside of the inlet holes from your pics. Yours are just outside and I like the clean lines inside the holes better. I'm not bashing your car, I think it looks great!

Kev

Old 01-16-2012 | 04:49 AM
I actually used the natural line/curve that results from the formation of the ducts, the paint doesn't go outside of these, it will look odd if you don't use this, but its your choice.

Old 01-20-2012 | 03:29 PM
Official Sponsor of the Florida G35 Club
Originally Posted by chsieh

You're welcome.
I offer satin/matte, superglossy, and carbon fiber finishes . Email me to order.

B@t