G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Replacement Ballast?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 07:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Replacement Ballast?

The drivers side low-beam on my '05 G35x has been randomly going out while driving. I simply turn off the lights, and turn them back on, and it kicks back on. This to me seems like more of a ballast issue than a bulb replacement (figures...) Took it into the stealership and they want $385 for an OEM ballast and $125 for labor.

Is this something I can do myself and save some coin? Will it involve soldering, or is it simply taking the old one out and bolting a new one in? Last question- anybody have any recommendations on where I can get a new (possibly OEM?) ballast for a good price?

Your help is very much appreciated!

Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Received 44 Likes on 44 Posts
I had cheapo defective bulbs that caused this on my car, I had 3 bad ones (guy I got them from sent me a replacement pair). I know because the dealer replaced my whole headlight, only to find out it did the same thing. OEM bulbs in and issue went away. They are cheapo ones I got off a guy on here who was clearing out LEDs. If you are running aftermarket bulbs, something to check out anyways.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
No soldering is required, you just need a phillips head screwdriver. Basically you have to jack your car up, and pull out the plastic lining in the wheel well to allow better access. The ballast is screwed (with 3 phillips head screws) to the bottom of the headlight. There's a plug or two you have to disconnect, and you're done. You should be able to find a ballast on eBay for pretty cheap. I got one, brand new, for about $80 shipped.

The following users liked this post:
StrongG35x (01-28-2012)
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Thanks for the info guys- exact reason I love this forum. I picked up a bulb from autozone (although I'm doubtful it's the bulb) and just ordered my ballast on ebay- $93 shipped, a heck of a lot better than $385! Looks like I'll have a project to work on next week.

Anybody ever have a similar problem?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I had a ballast go out completely about 6 months ago. Thought it was the bulb at first, and I was lucky enough to find a member here with a couple for sale. Now I have a replacement if the other one goes out.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 PM
Originally Posted by StrongG35x
Thanks for the info guys- exact reason I love this forum. I picked up a bulb from autozone (although I'm doubtful it's the bulb) and just ordered my ballast on ebay- $93 shipped, a heck of a lot better than $385! Looks like I'll have a project to work on next week.

Anybody ever have a similar problem?
Yeah, my ballast went out...I thought it was the bulb at first. So I went to NAPA and picked up a bulb, came to find out it still didn't work, so ordered a ballast and bingo. I brought the bulb back to NAPA being that $hit was $80 and they gave me a hard time about returning it, but I argued back and forth with them and they finally gave in. Don't take the bulb you bought out of its box. Take the bulb that's in your other headlight and test it in the bad one and see if that's it. This way, if it's the ballast, you can bring that bulb back and save quite a few bucks!

Old 01-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Yeah, my ballast went out...I thought it was the bulb at first. So I went to NAPA and picked up a bulb, came to find out it still didn't work, so ordered a ballast and bingo. I brought the bulb back to NAPA being that $hit was $80 and they gave me a hard time about returning it, but I argued back and forth with them and they finally gave in. Don't take the bulb you bought out of its box. Take the bulb that's in your other headlight and test it in the bad one and see if that's it. This way, if it's the ballast, you can bring that bulb back and save quite a few bucks!
That's funny you mention that- I asked the guy at Autozone what they're return policy was, in case I didn't need it, and he told me the same thing- once it's opened, they won't take it back. For $100, that's going to be my second shot. I was thinking I'd do exactly what you suggested- swap the bulbs when I install the new ballast.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Finally had a nice day, so I swapped ballasts. Fingers crossed this works! If it does, I just saved myself like $400 by not going to the stealership!

Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:48 PM
Goodluck dude.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the exact same thing about 3 months ago. One you get all the tyre off and unscrew all of the plastic shielding from the wheel well it was pretty easy. The hardest part was just getting the clips with the wiring to pull loose.

Old 02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
RVANDERWERF- Did you have trouble with your ballast? My driver side head light was glitching the other night but it stopped quickly....... possible cause and solution here. THX

^+1 on the trouble getting the headlight unplugged. Sore fingers!!!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by daventx
I had the exact same thing about 3 months ago. One you get all the tyre off and unscrew all of the plastic shielding from the wheel well it was pretty easy. The hardest part was just getting the clips with the wiring to pull loose.
Haha yeah man- I didn't swap the igniter, just the ballast, but you're right- that little clip on the ballast was a pain- literally! After having done it once, I am confident in doing it again in 1/2 the time, as with most things with the G.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
this was happening with a fauly set of bulbs i bought

Old 11-05-2014, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by Jhambor
No soldering is required, you just need a phillips head screwdriver. Basically you have to jack your car up, and pull out the plastic lining in the wheel well to allow better access. The ballast is screwed (with 3 phillips head screws) to the bottom of the headlight. There's a plug or two you have to disconnect, and you're done. You should be able to find a ballast on eBay for pretty cheap. I got one, brand new, for about $80 shipped.
Thanks man I'm gonna try this 2morrow. I been trynna figure this out. For few days now.

Old 01-26-2015, 11:08 PM
Hey man, same thing is happening to my G. I turn on the headlights and notice the driver side flicker, and a minute later it turns off. Turning the switch off, then on, turns on the light...then it turns off again. I saw a good deal on lightbulbs but I think I should replace the ballast first. Do you know if Matsushita is a good brand?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacement Ballast?