G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Failed my Ontario Emissions Test!! (Results Included)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Failed my Ontario Emissions Test!! (Results Included)

Hey Experts,

So it's emission test time again and yup, I failed... I *think* it might be my catalytic converter but I'd like to get some of you input on!!

Car info:
Year: 2004
Mileage: 100k

See results pic is attached.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Failed my Ontario Emissions Test!! (Results Included)-toronto-20120124-00002.jpg  
Old 01-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Cats have 8 year warranty so call the dealer ASAP and see if you still covered. Get it done!

The following users liked this post:
prada.robot (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Are you sure your car was fully warmed up? Those idle RPM's look way higher than they should be for a warmed up car. 1582 and 1893? Those numbers are more than double what they should be and will make your emissions be very high.

prada.robot (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by nogoodname;
Cats have 8 year warranty so call the dealer ASAP and see if you still covered. Get it done! .
You're right, its 8 years or 80k miles..

Originally Posted by partyman66
Are you sure your car was fully warmed up? Those idle RPM's look way higher than they should be for a warmed up car. 1582 and 1893? Those numbers are more than double what they should be and will make your emissions be very high.
It was slightly warmed up.. i would say it was on idle for 10 minutes however it's freezing here so i don't know if that made the figures any worse...

What to dooooooooooooo?!

Old 01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
well the question everyone should be asking is, what are your mods?

prada.robot (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by prada.robot
It was slightly warmed up.. i would say it was on idle for 10 minutes however it's freezing here so i don't know if that made the figures any worse...
10 minutes of idling should be enough time for it to warm up, but if your RPMs are still that that high after that, there's a problem with your car. Is your car's temperature gauge reaching the middle of the gauge(should be at or near the middle if it's at full operating temperature). After the car is fully warmed up, the idle should drop down to around 650 or so RPM unless you have the A/C running(in which case it will be somewhere around 1K or so). You could have a thermostat that is stuck open, and preventing the car from warming up properly.

You should try warming the car up with your heat off and make sure it reaches full temperature. If you turn the heat on in your car, it will take longer to reach operating temperature... so set your car's heat to 60 degrees on manual mode(all the way down) and go for a drive and make sure the temperature gauge is getting to the middle of it's range of travel, then check your RPMs to see where they are at.

prada.robot (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
If you want answers you'll need to give us information. Let's "assume" (hate that word) you have OE cats and they're shot, buy/barrow a set from one of our members in your area. That will get you past the smog cops! Keep in mind HFCs may not pass smog so don't bother with them....Gary

prada.robot (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
HFC should pass our Etest in ontario....pretty sure our regulations aren't as strict as you Cali boys

The following 2 users liked this post by redpearl99:
prada.robot (01-25-2012), ReStylin (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
10 minutes of idling should be enough time for it to warm up, but if your RPMs are still that that high after that, there's a problem with your car. Is your car's temperature gauge reaching the middle of the gauge(should be at or near the middle if it's at full operating temperature). After the car is fully warmed up, the idle should drop down to around 650 or so RPM unless you have the A/C running(in which case it will be somewhere around 1K or so). You could have a thermostat that is stuck open, and preventing the car from warming up properly.

You should try warming the car up with your heat off and make sure it reaches full temperature. If you turn the heat on in your car, it will take longer to reach operating temperature... so set your car's heat to 60 degrees on manual mode(all the way down) and go for a drive and make sure the temperature gauge is getting to the middle of it's range of travel, then check your RPMs to see where they are at.
wow, thanks for the great info. Will definitely make sure the car is properly warmed..

Originally Posted by gary c
HFC should pass our Etest in ontario....pretty sure our regulations aren't as strict as you Cali boys
Originally Posted by redpearl99
If you want answers you'll need to give us information. Let's "assume" (hate that word) you have OE cats and they're shot, buy/barrow a set from one of our members in your area. That will get you past the smog cops! Keep in mind HFCs may not pass smog so don't bother with them....Gary
Ok, so i'll get some OE cat's and let you guys know what happens

Thanks for the halp!