G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

After 4 trial and error, i need some tire suggestions!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
After 4 trial and error, i need some tire suggestions!

Hi Everyone,

I've had my 6spd G35 for a little over two years now and had the oppurtunity to change my tires three times and it is time for me to do it again. I'm a casual non aggressive driver and my tires have only been lasting me around 5000 miles!! Wanted to see if anyone can suggest any good long lasting tires besides the Pilot Sports.

1. Stock Pilot Sport (tire blown on freeway at 13k still had good amount of tread left)
2. S03, changed all four (worn down completely at 5k)
3. S03, changed rears (worn down completely at 5k)
4. AVS ES100, changed rears (even worst, completely worn at 4k)

Thanks,
Gabe

Old 01-01-2005, 11:54 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the Pilot Sports All Seasons. They last much longer, quieter and should fit you stock 18s (although you will have to deviate a little from stock). Do a search on the aspect ratio needed on the tire forum and you should be good to go.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got about 8k out of my SO3's (rear), but I have tracked it once, drifted once and been to the drag strip at least 3 times with them.

I think I may go with the new BFG's, funky tread pattern, I'll have to get used to that.

Old 01-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Goodyear F1 GSD3

Do it! =)

Old 01-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a casual non aggressive driver should get at least 15k miles off those tires you mentioned above...unless you're doing weekend canyon carving, etc.

You should get an alignment done and get the toe set to factory specs.
4k miles...that's rediculously too short for a casual non-aggressive driver.
If you're caving canyons, 3K is about normal on most cars.

Old 01-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Kenchan,
I've had the alignment done 4 times already and had three dealers look at my car to see if anything were to cause this excessive tire wear. They all came back and said everything is to spec. I've seen on tirerack that a customer also had bad experience with the combinationof the G35C and the S03s. My WRX also has S03s and i've put 27k on them without any issues. Have you personally had experience with these tires?

Gabe

Old 01-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I have 17's with the Goodyear RSAs. After only 6K the middle treads on the rears were 2/3 worn. I complained to the dealer as I am a conservative driver. He replaced them as "good will" and I now keep the pressure on the rears 2-3 lbs under recommended specs. After a year of waiting, I went back to the dealership I purchased my car from and they replaced my two front tires for free due to one tire having an aggressive belt. Now after 8 Thousand miles I am starting out with 4 new tires at no cost to me. I would have preferred the Pilots but the price for the Goodyears was "right". When the time comes for replacement I will try the Pilots. The dealer has told me that they last and perform much better and longer than the Goodyears.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:16 PM
I went out today and purchased some Nexen 3000 tires for only 120 each with balancing and mounting. Looking at the ratings they seems to be much better in terms of treadwear and for the price you really can't beat it. I've driven a couple hundred miles on them and the only complaints i have for them are road noise and slightly less grip than my previous tires except for hte Pilots. Thanks for everyones suggestions.

Gabe

Old 01-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Gabe,

I have been running the S0-3's for about a year and a half now. I am on my second set. The first set lasted me approximately 10k. Most of my miles are freeway, during my commute, with an occasional canyon run or race whenever I can get someone else to go for it. I am running 245/40/18 @ 35 PSi up front, and 275/40/18 @ 35 PSI in the rear. The car sticks so well (especially after the Nismo sway bars), that I would be hard pressed to try a different tire combination.

For someone that says they are "a casual non aggressive driver", I can't believe you only get 5k out of these tires. YIKES!

dbl0busa

Old 01-04-2005, 09:32 PM
I have an early 03 6MT - at 18K I replaced the rear Pilots, and when the car was in for service complained about tire noise. I was told "perf. tires". I took at look at the fronts at about 20, and realized the inside had some significant feathering. At 22K, in for service I had them look at the car. Needs alignment. So I say do it. I get a call that the left side camber is excessive (approx. .5 deg. more neg. that factory max) and has the car hit anything? It had not, and I suggested they look at the wheels, etc. so they could see that there was no damage (nuless my wife did it). In the end, they had to take the car to the body shop and do some bending to get the camber right. They charged me less than the cost of an alignment in the end. I am not dissatisfied, but now at 24K it is time for new front skins. Has anyone else had a car off alignment from the factory? (the car drove straight- unless extreme, camber does not result in the car pulling, toe does that.)

Old 01-04-2005, 09:43 PM
There are plenty of good tires out there, but Michelin makes the best.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:57 PM
Gabe- that's unfortunate. What sus mods do you have? Ive run S03's and
quite a bit of other tires in the past, not yet on the G35C. Just the Pilots.

Even so, my pilots still look like it will easily go another 10k miles...Im at
about 3500 miles right now with my mods and drive pretty hard through
the turns.

Originally Posted by gabe3d
Kenchan,
I've had the alignment done 4 times already and had three dealers look at my car to see if anything were to cause this excessive tire wear. They all came back and said everything is to spec. I've seen on tirerack that a customer also had bad experience with the combinationof the G35C and the S03s. My WRX also has S03s and i've put 27k on them without any issues. Have you personally had experience with these tires?

Gabe

Old 01-05-2005, 12:57 AM
btw, my car's toe was severly toe-in out of the factory (rear)....perhaps your
alignment shop needs to take actual measurements instead of just driving it around
during its initial test drive? not sure... was just wondering.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:54 PM
I keep all my tires at 36psi and i drive 95 percent on the freeway and I have no mods on my car. I'm just thinking maybe it's the california highway condition or maybe the average speed my tires are undergoing. As far as my aggressiveness goes the one thing I do is speed. Other than that I am clueless as to what may be the cause. BTW did you mount those on to the stock rim or do you have after market rims?
Thanks,
Gabe

Originally Posted by dbl0busa
Gabe,

I have been running the S0-3's for about a year and a half now. I am on my second set. The first set lasted me approximately 10k. Most of my miles are freeway, during my commute, with an occasional canyon run or race whenever I can get someone else to go for it. I am running 245/40/18 @ 35 PSi up front, and 275/40/18 @ 35 PSI in the rear. The car sticks so well (especially after the Nismo sway bars), that I would be hard pressed to try a different tire combination.

For someone that says they are "a casual non aggressive driver", I can't believe you only get 5k out of these tires. YIKES!

dbl0busa

Old 01-06-2005, 05:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. I hear from everyone that the tires wear out quickly. I have over 15K on my 6MT Coupe, and I still have decent tread on my stock Pilots. I'm a semi-aggressive driver, I drive the Pasadena freeway (Los Angeles) to and from work..it's like my own personal racetrack, great stress relief after work.. anyway. I was ready to change my tires at 15K, but it looks like I can easily go another 5-7K! I was thinking of going Toyos when it comes to replacing the tires.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: After 4 trial and error, i need some tire suggestions!