G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

So many bolt-on's but so little dyno HP - Dyno Vid Included

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:13 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh, and we also have to remember that all those mods that add 10hp here and 15hp there and 15ft-lb tq over there DOES NOT MEAN you'll get 10+10+20+15 = 55hp. The issue is all the manufacturers of these mods quote the maximum increase. Some create their maximum increase at 3000RPM. Others at 4500RPM. So while your peak might only go up a few you might have gained quite a bit under the curve.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say its either the dyno or maybe your fuel system...

Old 02-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had some comments about the video and I wanted to let everyone know that the Berk High Flow Cats is what is making the car sound bad with the rasp. The Stillen exhaust had the most perfect sound with zero rasp before installing the HFC’s. I would definitely recommend the Stillen exhaust but you have to be careful with the HFC’s as they can cause nasty sounding rasp in most exhausts including my Stillen.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A fully bolted REVUP V35 should make AROUND 20 peak hp and tq more than stock. However you will gain upwards of 20-30 tq and hp in the usable rpm range- flatten out the power curve.

Stop focusing on peak numbers. If you care about big dyno numbers buy a mustang or go FI.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know what you guys expect from a change of exhaust, decat, plenum/spacer,+ Up rev, i have yet to see more than 20bhp and 18ftlb from the DE and usually less, the HR makes a little better, but not by much, it is an already reasonably tuned N/A engine, short of using throttle bodies, cams and a rise in RPM limit + stand alone ECU,your never going to see any more than those sort of figures.
Dyno figures are only ever going to be a guide, some over inflated to make customers happy, some badly calibrated etc etc, the only way you will ever know for sure is using an engine dyno.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Tricky-Ricky
Don't know what you guys expect from a change of exhaust, decat, plenum/spacer,+ Up rev, i have yet to see more than 20bhp and 18ftlb from the DE and usually less, the HR makes a little better, but not by much, it is an already reasonably tuned N/A engine, short of using throttle bodies, cams and a rise in RPM limit + stand alone ECU,your never going to see any more than those sort of figures.
Dyno figures are only ever going to be a guide, some over inflated to make customers happy, some badly calibrated etc etc, the only way you will ever know for sure is using an engine dyno.

Exactly. These cars don't make huge gains off a bunch of minor bolt-ons. 15-20hp gain seems normal to me. You can't think each part results in a accumulation of hp. Some of you guys have no clue on the reality of what our cars are making, and what that parts are actually gaining.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by Jhambor
Exactly. These cars don't make huge gains off a bunch of minor bolt-ons. 15-20hp gain seems normal to me. You can't think each part results in a accumulation of hp. Some of you guys have no clue on the reality of what our cars are making, and what that parts are actually gaining.
I am in agreement with you but it’s just frustrating when you see others posting 280+ whp with the same or even less bolt-on’s. I’m assuming they simply must have used “generous” dyno’s to get those numbers. I do have plans to eventually start tracking my car as a hobby so knowing that I’ve squeezed as much out of it as I can without going FI is satisfying.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 PM
Well I'm going to have my car tuned soon at Stillen. We'll see what I get.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Revo
Well I'm going to have my car tuned soon at Stillen. We'll see what I get.
Wonderful...yes please do post your numbers back to this thread when you do. Would love to see them for a comparison.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:22 PM
It won't be too comparable since I have dc headers (stock cats and exhaust), a port and polished and blueprinted and balanced engine with race bearings, plenum spacer, intake, pulleys, and lightweight flywheel.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Revo
It won't be too comparable since I have dc headers (stock cats and exhaust), a port and polished and blueprinted and balanced engine with race bearings, plenum spacer, intake, pulleys, and lightweight flywheel.
OK so in that case you should run higher than my 255whp but how high would be interesting to see!!!

At the time of the dyno I was running:
-UpRev Osiris Tune
-MREV 2
-5/16" Iso Thermal Spacer
-Stillen Z-Tube & Intake
-Stillen Engine Grounding Kit
-Berk High Flow Cats
-Stillen True-Dual Cat-Back Exhaust

Looking forward to seeing your numbers...

Old 02-06-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If you didn't ever get the printout of how much HP your car put down and had no idea what it's post-mod HP rating was, would you still be disappointed with the results of how it performs now, considering how much you spent on mods, based purely on the butt-dyno and your general feel of how the car drives and picks up in comparison to how it was whenever you last had it stock?

Old 02-07-2012, 02:40 AM
Originally Posted by partyman66
If you didn't ever get the printout of how much HP your car put down and had no idea what it's post-mod HP rating was, would you still be disappointed with the results of how it performs now, considering how much you spent on mods, based purely on the butt-dyno and your general feel of how the car drives and picks up in comparison to how it was whenever you last had it stock?
To answer your question, I do not regret modding my car in anyway. Yes it was disappointing to see the small gains with all the money and time I spend on researching and installing but still worth it in my eyes. I am a big car nut and have been one my entire life with my father being a mechanic and I can say this is a hobby of mine. As far as the butt dyno is concerned, I would say there was a big increase in throttle response, low-end torque off the line with smoother power throughout the RPM range. If I didn’t have the car dynoed, the butt dyno gave me the impression of a significant increase in HP and TQ over stock.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
I gained 24 RWHP & 18 LBS torque when I had SLICK at SpecialtyZ for her Osiris tune. Those are real gains you can feel and I was totally satisfied with the results....Gary

Old 02-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
get cat by-passer,,no cats F! smog they still fit ur o2 sensors

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So many bolt-on's but so little dyno HP - Dyno Vid Included