G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

true horsepower gains---

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by martyball619
wow u did all those upgrades and u didnt get much out of it? do u have the rev up motor? there was dynos somewehre that those mrev2 + spacers gives a dramatic improvement
Yeah, I have the revup. I really didn't "feel" any difference whatsoever in the mrev2. The only mods I could actually feel something different were the hfc's and osiris tune....but even that wasn't signifigant. Maybe I just had too high of expectations. I saw maybe a 1/4 second difference at the track....if that. Too me, that's not worth the almost $2500 in mods spent. There are a ton of other cars out there that you could put $2500 into and probably pick up almost a full second.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2500 into my other car more than doubled the hp

Old 02-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts
Wrong platform if modding for power is your whole point in owning this car. The VQ is pretty much at 90% capacity from the factory. Gs are made to be sexy & quick.... Not fast. Sorry bro. If you want fast you gota drop 15K-20K into it to have reliable power with an engine rebuild/new engine altogether built from the ground up along with FI from a Turbo, Twin Turbo or Supercharger.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
In my experience, the minor bolt-ons and tune really awoken the VQ.

For example, the VQ was an absolute slug in normal freeway cruising in 6th gear in stock form. It felt like it was just out of breath.

Not such the case anymore with the bolt-ons and tune. It provided a much better driving experience post tune. Passing at freeway speeds with the tune in 6th gear feels much more efficient with more pep. No need to downshift to 5th.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying bolt ons are worthless. I myself have the Stillen Z Tube, MD 5/16th plenum spacer, K&N drop in filter, Art Pipes, 10wire grounding kit & Osiris Tune. As far as bang for the buck I wld say it was worth every penny to have the engine breath better as well as the gas economy and excellent shifting from the tune. But I wld say my car is now at 100% of what it can do without FI and I'm putting down 261 to the wheels. To me that's great because I understand the car came extremely well tuned from the factory. Where there are some ppl who think an exhaust and CAI will get them 300+ to the wheels. These car just don't work like that.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
Originally Posted by AzuMaster
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying bolt ons are worthless. I myself have the Stillen Z Tube, MD 5/16th plenum spacer, K&N drop in filter, Art Pipes, 10wire grounding kit & Osiris Tune. As far as bang for the buck I wld say it was worth every penny to have the engine breath better as well as the gas economy and excellent shifting from the tune. But I wld say my car is now at 100% of what it can do without FI and I'm putting down 261 to the wheels. To me that's great because I understand the car came extremely well tuned from the factory. Where there are some ppl who think an exhaust and CAI will get them 300+ to the wheels. These car just don't work like that.
I wouldn't say it's "now at 100% of what it can do without FI" looking at your mod list.

Just to name a few, long tube headers are proven to make power, cams, and as you mentioned, exhaust. Motordyne's exhaust is also proven to make power and a re-tune would then magnify those additional mods. I'm in noway saying you'll hit 300 whp with those additional mods though. Although not cheap, all of those mods with additional costs such as labor may land someone halfway to a supercharger kit.

As for the exhaust...here's a good read. Much improvement to be seen over the OEM exhaust.
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...k-for-n-a.html

Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
+1^ morotdyne TDX2 and cams and headers will make a nice improvement after retune. I just got the TDX2 and even without a tune yet i can notice a small difference in 5th gear passing power on the highway. no need to downshift when im in autostick mode. cant wait to get ART pipes and headers!

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Jairen
I wouldn't say it's "now at 100% of what it can do without FI" looking at your mod list.

Just to name a few, long tube headers are proven to make power, cams, and as you mentioned, exhaust. Motordyne's exhaust is also proven to make power and a re-tune would then magnify those additional mods. I'm in noway saying you'll hit 300 whp with those additional mods though. Although not cheap, all of those mods with additional costs such as labor may land someone halfway to a supercharger kit.

As for the exhaust...here's a good read. Much improvement to be seen over the OEM exhaust.
http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhau...k-for-n-a.html
The cost of decent headers, a high power exhaust plus installation is not worth it. Easily 2800-3500 depending on what you go with. For another 20-25WHP MAX I personally don't think its worth it. But I'm sure there are ppl that do. And like you said, still won't hit 300HP. Not even gaining 75WHP after dumping 4-5K into it is a tough pill to swallow if you think it wld have gotten you BIG POWER. That's why I stopped buying bolt ons. I've searched this forum for like 5 yrs, even b4 I joined actually and a lot of the guys who have dropped that kind of money into these cars on bolt ons have said its just not worth it. You end up make a quick car a little quicker.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
those are some good gains

Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts
You end up make a quick car a little quicker.

That about sums it up. You're by no means going to drop a couple grand into this car and start beating corvettes or the like. If quick to quicker is worth a couple grand to you, by all means go for it......but in all honesty, if you want a truly fast car, youd be better off dumping that money into an entirely different car and get alot more bang for your buck.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jhambor
if you want a truly fast car, youd be better off dumping that money into an entirely different car and get alot more bang for your buck.
then you dont get the privilege of telling others that you drive a G! but yes i fully agree, or instead of buying a new car use the money you would have spent buying a new car and put it into your G, THEN youll have a fast car that can take on vettes

Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Or keep the g the way it is power wise and make it look better. These cars are some of the sexiest cars on the planet. And they perform well for what they are... Just buy a cheap fun car to go fast in and have the g for dates

Old 02-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by eagles512
or instead of buying a new car use the money you would have spent buying a new car and put it into your G, THEN youll have a fast car that can take on vettes
He's saying the cost to HP ratio is much better on most other cars. As for Vettes, I'm TT and barely faster then a stock C5.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
I plan on purchasing another G coupe this summer. Something with ridiculously high miles to restore, hopefully I can find this for arnd 5-7K. New everything but most importantly a new longblock. IPP stage 3 built engine $5K, Level10 built performance 5AT $4K. That's $16K right there without FI. After adding up a full mod list of just abt everything possible I'm looking at almost $40K... & that's before you throw on the $5K-$8K TT kit plus another 1200-1500 in labor along with all the little extras I will need to do this. Upwards & possibly over $50K... & like herrshcraft said "barely faster than a stock C5". & this guy has done just abt everything with his build so he knows. My whole point in all of this is yes they can be fast... But boy oh boy does it take a lot and ppl talk a big game abt dumping the money into them to do it but once you start climbing, you realize your hill turned to a mountain. So while you cld put $20K+ into to make reliable power most ppl don't have that kind of money lying arnd... Even more so sadly if you bought your G for under 17K... Bcuz lets be real, if you had the 25K-30K you wldve gotten a faster car to begin with.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
That's not so true... I got mine for under 17k but I got it knowing it would he a winter far and that I had a toy to play with other than the g.... And I did have the 20-30k laying around I just wanted a good deal haha

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: true horsepower gains---