G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Driving in the snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving in the snow

Hey everyone I just bought a 2005 G35 6mt before the winter and I'm wondering how they are in the snow. I parked it and have been driving my old Acura for the winter but I'm trying to decide if I should keep it as a winter car or just sell it and buy snow tires for my G35. The short drive I did have in the snow with it was definitely sketchy with my summer tires.. and the fact that it's rear wheel drive. Happy to hear your thoughts!

Old 02-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You need winter tires.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 AM
Ya if I drive it through the winter next year I will definitely get winter tires I'm just wondering if winter tires is enough to make it driveable in the snow or if I should just park it and keep my other car for winter. Don't wanna be smashing up the first nice car I've owned! haha

Old 02-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Not sure where you are from, but I'm from MN where we get good amounts of snow. I traded in a Jeep Wrangler 4x4 to get my G right before winter (dumb idea) and then we got **** pounded with ice and snow. It actually did a lot better than I was expecting, and once moving I felt better driving that then I did my Jeep in icey conditions. The VDC is amazing, but don't always rely on it.

Winter tires are a must. I ran all seasons last year and it worked, but if there was more than 3 inches I wasnt going anywhere.

VDC is great once moving, but sometimes it screws you over more than helps when trying to get moving, so I usually shut it off until I was on the road.

Also make sure you clean out the wheel wells frequently, especially if it is still snowing or the roads havent been cleared well yet. Snow gets packed in all the way down to your tires, and any bump will cause you to bottom out in the wells. This wrinkled my wheel wells out and caused them to crack the paint and rust.

Last edited by 2one8; 02-28-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: double text
Old 02-28-2012, 01:26 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Keep the Acura for winter driving, you don't need to subject your G to snow/salt and some azzwipe that's driving too fast and can't stop. I can't get SLICK to venture out of the garage if there's a drizzle let alone snow like todays....Gary

Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 AM
haha yaa I've heard the VDC can just completely prevent you from moving sometimes. We get so little winter here that it hardly seems worth it keeping 2 cars but at the same time it doesn't seem like it would take much to total it in the snow. But I can sure say I miss driving it already!! It's hard going from leather heated seats back to an old car that takes 20 minutes to get heat and freezes on the inside of the windshield...

Old 02-28-2012, 01:54 AM
But I was also given a set of 20" rims for free that came off a friends 04 G35 that he used in the snow.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:00 AM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by boyks03
But I was also given a set of 20" rims for free that came off a friends 04 G35 that he used in the snow.
20s in the snow? Do you have any idea what winter tires would cost for those?!!

Honestly I would just keep the Acura and store the Fini. No point in risking the G if you dont have to.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM
I had to drive the G this winter as I didn't have time to look around for a beater. I'm in Canada, Edmonton to be specific, and the winters here can be pretty brutal. It snowed about 16cm (little over half a foot) on Saturday and I had to drive. It plowed through it like a champ. I have 18" blizzak tires and some type of rims I bought off someone. It's worked very well for myself and never had any problems.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Im from edmonton too and my winters are pretty bald but with the vdc it actually handles pretty well
Sell the acura, get some winters and modify the g with the rest

Old 02-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I have a font wheels drive car at home in case we get a lot of snow. We've been lucky this year though, I don't think we've gotten more than 4 inches the whole season. I did drive my car to CT last Friday and it was raining in NY and snowing in CT and the car felt fine with all season tires. It wasn't snowing that much though in CT and the roads were almost clear. If you can afford to keep your other car, keep it for the winter.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
5 winters of driving and this car has worked fine in all snow conditions. Of course I had good snow tires on dedicated 18s for this to be possible (selling this setup). Keep the speed and spacing reasonable, shift early, and be smooth with steering.

Leave VDC on unless you want to practice your skid recovery skills in an empty parking lot.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've never used winter tires, all seasons only. I do live in oklahoma though where we don't really get that much snow, so it's not too bad.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Hmm tough choice here! If I sell my Acura the money would maybe cover half a set of snow tires if I'm lucky haha. Anyone have any idea how much a set of snow tires would be for 20" rims? I know it's unnecessary to have them that big for snow tires but they were free so I figure I'm at least saving a little money there.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
I live in the middle of Canada. I have used 17' winter tires 2 years now, and the car is much easier to drive then my previous 2 front wheel drive cars with all season tires.

I don't know why people make this car out to be some monster crazy RWD beast. It's pretty tame, and there is no reason that anyone can't use it year round. Of course, like with any car/setup, you have to use common sense.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving in the snow