G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Considering an 06!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You have to floor it. Then you'll feel it. I found a few stock ones in pa with less than 50k miles for around 18.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by luvmyzx6r
You have to floor it. Then you'll feel it. I found a few stock ones in pa with less than 50k miles for around 18.
Gotcha........well.......I am now the proud owner of the 06 MT/Nav pictured at the end of page 2.

I realize now what you mean, holy hell the thing hauls ***. lol

It's a very comfortable car, just needs a proper cleaning.....it looks like the dealership detailed it blind folded and I'm CRAZY meticulous as to how clean my car is.

I'll put up some pictures within the next few days.

The dealer dropped $500 and I ended up at $19300 for the car w/ 3 mo/3K mile warranty plus I purchased a 3 yr/36K mile warranty good at any major dealer with a 100 deductable for the entire engine/internals/powertrain including motor/trans mounts.

The warranty might have been overkill but I just want to make sure the car's cost of ownership is as low as it can.

I'm being gentle with the car for a tank of gas or two, I'm almost positive they filled it with regular......I tossed in a bottle of Lucas which might be just magic in a bottle but I like using it and topped off with half a tank of premium. The thing had barely over 1/2 when I drove it off the lot, no big deal I suppose although I did just spend nearly 20K.

All in all I am very gentle with my cars, once I learn the car's acceleration characteristics I think I can control the gas mileage pretty good.....I only averaged like 17 on my way home. lol Screw it, these things are sharp and I'll pump gas with a smile.

Only immediate things I'd like to do is look into replacing the aluminum trim that lines the driver's door handle and the driver's headlight needs aimed badly which I'm going to research here tonight and take care of tomorrow if it's simple enough.

After that I want to get splash guards for all corners and have the windows tinted.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:51 AM
Nice purchase. Looking forward for those pics and good call on the warranty. It's always nice to have that peace of mind.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks dude, I was really on the fence about the warranty but it is nice insurance for a shitty, awesome, upside down investment. lol

Today I clay bar'd the entire car, went over every inch of it by hand with scratch/swirl remover, full interior detail along with the engine bay/door and trunk jams. I found a few imperfections but nothing out of the ordinary for a used car.

The only disappointing thing is that I removed the badges minus the Infiniti emblem and am left with the outlines of what I took off. I've debadged so many damn cars and never had this issue. I'm going to swing by a body shop I like to use tomorrow and see if they'd be able to bust a gentle wet sand and buff.

Now that all the crap is off the paint leaving it completely smooth it will be time to bust out my 7424XP, a light abrasive pad and Poor Boys SSR1 Polish topped off with some type of wax....I like Turtle Wax but may try a synthetic sealant like Klasse or similar.

Is my color called Lakeshore something or other? Pretty sure it is.......I found an OEM parts site that has my front and rear splash guards painted for like $140. Must have those, my tires kick up just about every pebble on the road. lol

For what they are, Hankook Ventus V12 EVO basically new, they're very comfortable and quiet....not too stiff but still extremely confident. I'm curious as to how long they'll last.

Oh, and I love 5K Pure White license plate LED's so I hit up V-LED as well.

Last edited by ohsixmtee; 03-06-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Here's a picture for now from on the lot before I bought it...

I really want to know where that bumper came from.....I think I'm going to get the OEM clear sidemarkers, those are aftermarket held in with double sided tape which is coming unstuck from the driver's side and the back of it is sitting out from the bumper a little.....enough to annoy me. lol I'm crazy picky.

Some of the finish is coming off the wheels as well.

It's not too bad but happening none the less.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Oh I forgot to tell you. G35s like to eat up tires... Make sure you flip the front tires every 2 oil changes So yu can get the most wear out of them because it has pretty aggressive camber. You be buying tires every 20-30 k miles.

Other then that, youll have a blast with your car. Especially when it warms up like today where u can roll those windows down and hear that nice exhaust

The following users liked this post:
ohsixmtee (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Awesome man, thanks for the heads up. I suppose it all comes with the nature of the beast, I mean these cars are what they are. OEM parts wholesalers will come very much in handy and I've always been good at shopping around, I'm sure there are sponsors/vendors on this site as far as that goes and I'll research that a bit later. Tires were a concern before I bought the car but what can you do. lol

It will get less mpgs than my TL did but I'll pump gas with a smile.....loving the car so far!

A few things, my driver's headlight appears to have a damaged bracket causing it to be aimed very high and poke out from the hood just about 1/8 in. I'm waiting on a call from the owner of the dealership I bought it from, I do not feel I should have to cover the diagnosis/repairs but we'll see....it is a used car and I understand that.

I took the badges off like I said and am unhappy with the outlines left so a body shop I like to use is going to wet sand/buff the rear face of the trunk lid for $50 which will also even out the paint reflection from trunk to bumper.....right now the lid is orange peeled slightly more than the bumper.

I swung by Nissan today and grabbed a few clips that were missing under the hood and put those in. Not a big deal but I'm OCD. lol

I also plan on having Fabrion.net refresh my driver's seat, it's in great shape for 60K but some of the color is wearing off and for $75 they will redye and apply 2 coats of a clear protectant. It's supposed to hold up extremely well. Jones Acura referred me to them and their who they use for their used cars and customer referrals.

On going process, I just want the car to be nice which means I'm prepared to fix/correct things so long as it makes sense to do so.

Now the wear/tear chips in the paint is a different story, that is manageable and something I can live with. I'm surely not going to go having various panels repainted, too costly.

Edit: I just spoke with the owner of the dealership, I'm going in Friday morning and if it's missing a bolt they'll take care of it. If a bracket is busted they will get a replacement OEM headlight. I told him used OEM would be fine so long as it's in the same or better condition than the exterior of my current one. Carfax showed history of both ballasts and bulbs replaced about 10K miles ago so we'll swap that into the replacement.

The Infiniti experience is just top notch so far.

Also, I set the oil change reminder to 5000.....how do the G35 owners feel about that? I'll probably just be using Mobil 1 and OEM filters.....IMO it's more about regular OCI's than spending 10/qt on oil.

Last edited by ohsixmtee; 03-07-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
I commute about 110 miles a day and average around 25 mpg with doing roughly 75-80 on the free way. It's not bad imo. If i take it easy i can easily achieve 27 in the warmer seasons with our manual trans.

Since you have the warranty now, i would recommend getting all he TSB's checked out for your car and recalls if any. That way you won't have to worry about it later.

As far as oil goes, experiment with them. I love 0w40 mobile 1 and burn little with that oil castrol syntec is also an awesome oil. If you like spending money, redline is the stuff. I change my oil every 3500 miles. I used to change it every 5 but mine is high mileage now and i want to keep it going for as long as i can so i do it in that interval.

I'm also very ocd about my car despite its age. ITs been really good to me. I want your wheels.

Here's my baby

Old 03-07-2012, 11:40 AM
I commute about 110 miles a day and average around 25 mpg with doing roughly 75-80 on the free way. It's not bad imo. If i take it easy i can easily achieve 27 in the warmer seasons with our manual trans.

Since you have the warranty now, i would recommend getting all he TSB's checked out for your car and recalls if any. That way you won't have to worry about it later.

As far as oil goes, experiment with them. I love 0w40 mobile 1 and burn little with that oil castrol syntec is also an awesome oil. If you like spending money, redline is the stuff. I change my oil every 3500 miles. I used to change it every 5 but mine is high mileage now and i want to keep it going for as long as i can so i do it in that interval.

I'm also very ocd about my car despite its age. ITs been really good to me. I want your wheels.

Here's my baby
]
Very nice, school a new guy and tell me what's special about my coupe's wheels....aren't they standard? I don't recall learning anything in that dept. and am just not sure. I've always eyed up the G's but cannot really recall if they had my wheels or not.

I want your splash guards.....I like how they tie the body lines smoothly closer to the ground.

That's cool, how many miles when you bought it/how many now? I expect I'll be able to do better once I get the heavy foot out of my system. I'm halfway through a tank and have about 185 miles on it. We'll see, I'll keep a close eye on it once I run through a tank or two of premium because chances are the dealership used regular.

Will do, I'll check the TSBs. I'm def. a fix it before it breaks kind of person. Carfax didn't show any open recalls but I'm sure the Infiniti dealer could double check for me.

Copy that on the oil, 0w40? Wow, that's different to me. Is that suggested or is that what enthusiasts have found to work best?

Be good to the car and it will be good to you, OCD is a pain sometimes but it ensures your happiness. It's such a joy to be proud of what you drive.

Lastly, so your car has an 06 sport front bumper? I'd really love to know what kind of front bumper my car has. lol It's got black mesh behind the openings that needs Plastidipped in the near future so I need to look into how it's secured.

For an aftermarket bumper it actually mounts very nice and matches paint wise pretty well, it doesn't quite have as clear of a reflection as the car but damn close and the amount of metallic flakes or whatever they are is about spot on. The only thing that bugs me is the aftermarket clear bumper lights which will be changed at some point. Unless they all mount shitty.....

Thanks for all the replies and info. btw.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Mines an 03 100% stock except for a few bolt ons. I don't believing bumper kits body kits what not. When i find some decent 19's, ill get it on there.

I love your wheels because i feel 19's are just the perfect size for the coupes and the rays are supposedly lighter than the 18's that are stock on mine and the style is perfect imo. I love spokes and forged rims

You see that ding near the fender? Some ******* at school did it I'm pretty sure because it wasn't there until two weeks ago.

I bought the car 3 years ago with roughly 85K on it. It now has..... 172,000 miles,... haha. racked 40k miles this year so far and counting (110 mile commute and commuting back home to harrisburg). AHH! i'm devauling my car like crazy. They run really good when you treat them right, like women. Still a few more payments..

The tires i like to use are Kumho ecstas. Cheap and great thread life. Winter tires, bridge stone blizzak gets through anything and where i'm at the elevation is 2k so we get a lot of snow. Haven't had a problem yet.

The way i see it, life is too short to drive a boring car especially if your an enthusiast.

This is my girls black one before she got another car.

Old 03-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Mines an 03 100% stock except for a few bolt ons. I don't believing bumper kits body kits what not. When i find some decent 19's, ill get it on there.

I love your wheels because i feel 19's are just the perfect size for the coupes and the rays are supposedly lighter than the 18's that are stock on mine and the style is perfect imo. I love spokes and forged rims

You see that ding near the fender? Some ******* at school did it I'm pretty sure because it wasn't there until two weeks ago.

I bought the car 3 years ago with roughly 85K on it. It now has..... 172,000 miles,... haha. racked 40k miles this year so far and counting (110 mile commute and commuting back home to harrisburg). AHH! i'm devauling my car like crazy. They run really good when you treat them right, like women. Still a few more payments..

The tires i like to use are Kumho ecstas. Cheap and great thread life. Winter tires, bridge stone blizzak gets through anything and where i'm at the elevation is 2k so we get a lot of snow. Haven't had a problem yet.

The way i see it, life is too short to drive a boring car especially if your an enthusiast.

This is my girls black one before she got another car.

[IMG.jpg[/IMG]
I see, so Rays is the manufacturer of what's on my car or am I mistaken? 19's are nice, only downfall is running less tire......rumble strips make me want to cry. LOL

That sucks man, your average person just isn't conscious about things like that and in turn create problems for you as far as dings go......parking far away isn't always practical ya know? Check out PDR!

Ah ok, sounds like you treat eachother well though. You really only have to worry about miles when you know you're going to trade it at some point, if your mind is set on the car I wouldn't sweat it. IMO Condition speaks louder than mileage.

Nice to know about the tires, my father in law's been giving me **** about a RWD for the winter and I told him people here don't seem to complain much with winter tires.

Exactly, just personal preference, we enjoy having our toys....meaning nice cars.

She had a sharp one!

So you're local to me? We need to organize something local....sports bar or something sometime.

I have much to learn, I'd like to reach the point where I can tell the year and trim level of any G just by glancing....shouldn't be hard will just take some time. I haven't had too much free time to SERIOUSLY browse this forum yet and am anxious to.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow 172K?!? I hope to run her that long, just bought mine last month...planning to keep it for awhile, not looking forward to the 4 or 5 dollar gas hike.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by aaron3719
wow 172K?!? I hope to run her that long, just bought mine last month...planning to keep it for awhile, not looking forward to the 4 or 5 dollar gas hike.
Owning it that long would certainly give you your money back, especially if it were basically trouble free aside from wear and tear items.

Enjoy your new car!

Old 03-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Ugh, the addiction starts..........coming soon, JWT/Z Tube combo to set my G aside from the stock ones.

Shipping from CA to PA FTL. I suppose it will be a few days.

Is the advertised 12 RWHP accurate? I was thinking about doing this in combination with deleting my exhaust resonator to free up some flow and get a more aggressive sound. I'm not really interested in altering the exhaust aside from this thought.....

I'm going to slap in my 5 LED 5K license plate bulbs here in a few minutes as well. I wish modifying wasn't so tempting. lol

I call this the new job present to myself, I signed a job offer this week with a pretty healthy increase in pay and overall opportunity. I've been in the printing trade for roughly 8 years, currently am the sole operator of a 10 color UV printing press with a 4 section die station for a major consumer product label printing company.......I will be doing confection packaging printing here soon on a much larger press which is where most of my experience is. I applied for the Assistant position but was offered the lead operator role as a result of my experience.

I guess I'll get some decent pictures and a progress thread going to track the ongoing changes.

The plan aside from the LED plate bulbs and JWT/Z tube combo are pretty simple:

Splash Guards
Tint, probably 20% back 3, 35% fronts or 20% back glass, 35% front four to keep the sides looking uniform

I'd like to do some maint. as well consisting of new trans./diff. fluid, cabin/fuel filters and drive belts.

Last edited by ohsixmtee; 03-09-2012 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Ztube is definitely worth it. It sounds super under wot. and just plain old accelerating normally, you hear a zzzzzzzz sound of air being ingupled.

Pretty cool.

You won't notice the performance gains. You will notice though the added throttle response and of course sound.

I don't graduate for another 2 years. When i do, and hopefully a job will follow, i plan on turning it into a 100% track car.

The following users liked this post:
ohsixmtee (03-09-2012)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.